1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converted mov. files to avi. now why so big?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by shamoo82, Jun 23, 2009.

1. shamoo82

shamoo82 Regular member

hello all, i'm not sure that i am in the right place but i guess someone will know how to help me,, i hope..

I recorded a video on a hd camcorder, it saves the files as mov. files, i want to burn this onto a dvd, but i want to edit the movie so it looks nice, any i have premier pro 6.5 and although it says mov. files are supported it never imports them. so with the program i got with the camcorder (presto video works 6)i can convert the files to avi, (i was thinking i could then edit these in premier pro, however i have say 4 mov. files, now the biggest mov. file is 477mb yet when it is converted it goes to 76.6gb!! how and why does it do this? i dont want to lose any quality other wise it would be pointless using a hd camcorder? can anyone help?

2. attar

attar Senior member

I would only be guessing - you could verify the the video type using MediaInfo or GSpot - but since it's saving it as AVI, I would think it's DV-AVI (digital video avi).

3. shamoo82

shamoo82 Regular member

ok, but is there a program or something i can use to convert these mov. files without loss of quality and be able to edit them? ideally in a perfect world, premier pro would import them then i could edit and then burn them onto a disc, but that would be easy and nothing really is lol.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

5. shamoo82

shamoo82 Regular member

thanks for the tip, it works well.

6. 023023

023023 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009