AfterDawn Forums

usb loader gx black screen?

This discussion thread has 12 messages.

faijufung Suspended due non-functional email address
Hi, so I seem to have a problem with usb loader gx. I have it installed as a channel already, but if I try to open it, it will result in a black screen and no response. I've run CMDVDX34 through HBC already, and went through the 3 steps. What signs or confirmations can I look for to know that I am on the right track or what I am missing?

So as someone previously said before, the scene has changed quite a bit. If I'm getting all this right, basically, an IOS is an operating system that works inside the wii, and you can have several of these. Only one works at one time. A cIOS is something, that hackers have made.. as a bypass to allow certain programs to work? So my question is, why are there so many different IOS.. that seem to be used in all sorts of guides? What happened to all the good old TP hack, install the .wad, and bang, you're good to go?

Anyway, here are my specs: 3.3U, IOS36, HBC installed

Thanks for all the help in my problem and satisfying my curiosity!
▼▼ This topic has 11 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
You have USB Loader GX installed as a channel on the Wii System Menu?
Can we start with running it from the Hombbrew Channel first and then move to making a channel of it?
Can you run USB Loader GX from the Homebrew Channel?
Just want to make sure it isn't a forwarder you have installed instead of the actual thing.

Your statement that you ran CMDVDX34 wasn't very clear but I am guessing that you installed cIOS in those 3 steps that you mentioned. Is that right?

I think you kind of have the right idea about IOS although "operating system" might be giving it too much credit.
As I always like to say you can check them here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History

Some of the descriptions there should help you see why there are so many IOSes. Well not that many actually. I think many guides may mention IOSes but you hardly ever will be installing IOSes. The Wii comes with them and system updates may add a few to the bunch but outside of downgrading them you will hardly ever do anything with them.

cIOS as you mentioned is a different story. I assume that the different revisions of cIOS are what gives people the impression that there are so many IOSes and cIOSes out there.

And the days of TP hack and install the wad?
Well TP hack got killed by 4.0 but after you have have HBC and cIOS you can still install the wad and be good to go. :)

And I see your specs.
And as you might be aware there are two versions of the 3.3 firmware. The one from before October 23rd (2008) and the one from after then.
The one from after patches the trucha bug in many IOSes.

IOS36 is a strange thing to put in a list of Wii specs.
A Wii will have IOS36 without you putting it on there. Maybe you are saying that your homebrew channel says IOS36 when you press the home button. That is the IOS that HBC 1.0.1 runs off of .
Or maybe you mean cIOS36rev something or another.
Well anyway
Thanks for the awesome reply. I managed to fool around with it a bit more and this is what I did. By the way, you were right, I assumed it was IOS 36, because I was looking at it in HBC.

So I,
installed IOS35.wad
Install CIOS7.wad

and tada, I was finally able to install the forwarder, and now I have the channel :)

Also, thanks for the help on clearing up my confusion on IOS.

Ironically, another occured. I plugged in my external into both usb slots, tried separate times, and it still says "USB device not found"

The external is powered up through USB, and it has a green light on, not a red light. I went and checked on the compatibility list, and it doesn't have a section for 200GB externals. Anybody have this problem?
And on top of all this, my external has no logo markings ><.. All it says is Mobile Disk, External Data Storage. In safety remove hardware, it is labeled as Toshiba MK2035GSS.

And I forgot to mention, once I managed to install the channel, I skipped one step which I wrote down, which I have no idea is necessary.
It was "run CIOSrev13b". Any ideas?
It's good to hear that the forwarder is working for you.

And LOL at "Ironically, another occured." I do it all the time. I think there is even a meme of it. Something about "I accidentally a whole coke bottle or something".

And while this may not solve your USB detection problem it is always good to have the latest revision of USB Loader GX which you can get from here http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/downloads/revisions
560 it looks like it is now.
You can also update to the latest revision from within the loader itself.

And thanks, I never noticed that 200GB wasn't in the compatibility list.

As for CIOSrev13b, that is one of the revision of cIOS that I mentioned. cIOS has 13 revisions. What you installed CIOS7.wad was the 7th one.
And there is a chance that this is the reason why the Loader isn't working for you.
USB Loader requires at least the 9th revision or above to work.

So go ahead and install one when you get the chance.

Finally Waninkoko's cIOSes go like this (with the original IOSes that they are based on 1-3 on 37, 4-10 on 36, and 12 and 13 on 38)
cIOS37Rev1
cIOS37Rev2
cIOS37Rev3
cIOS36Rev4 (I think the ability to play backups came in somewhere around here)
cIOS36Rev5
cIOS36Rev6
cIOS36Rev7 (the one you have)
cIOS36Rev8
cIOS36Rev9 (this one allows you to use the USB Loader)
cIOS36Rev10
No Eleven (that's right no 11) :)
cIOS38Rev12 (first one based on the original IOS38
cIOS38Rev13
cIOS38Rev13b (same as 13 but with the 002 fix, but it breaks some other stuff)

Edit: Oh and I forgot the cIOSes do have their issues, it recommended to be somewhere in the midst of 10 through 13b. Some games work with some but not with others. One issues in particular that I think happens with cIOS13 and 13b although I can't confirm because I can't remember exactly when it happened and I'm too lazy to put work into finding out for sure is that if you load a game with USB Loader and then you return to the Wii Menu using the Home Menu and then go back to the USB Loader and try to select another game it will freeze and you'll have to power down by holding the power button.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jun 2009 @ 15:04
Blah, once again, I am back.. and I cant say that I'm successful LOL..
Your solution was the exact thing I was missing. My cIOS was too low, and all I had to do was find an installer for a higher version. Magic!

Next, I managed to get my external to be read. This is where the confusion begins.. How do I configure my external so that it is read? WBFS isn't a file format iirc.. So how do I format and partition my external so that it can be read on my computer and wii?

Oh, on top of all of this, WBFS manager refuses to be installed, same with net framework 3.5 sp1.. Tried manually installing each part.. no luck.. anyone with similar problem?

Once again, thanks for reading and helping :)

edit: Oh yeah, WBFS manager, I downloaded the right setup, I checked my system before hand. Its x86.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jun 2009 @ 17:29
faijufung, how did you manage to get your external HD to be recognized by wii!?
i also have an external HD that has 2 usb outputs (one for the power) but i never managed to get wii to recognize it..

if WBFS manager isnt working for you try out

wbfs intelligent v6
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jun 2009 @ 23:05
I had to install a CIOS that was 9+, and in my scenario I just found a CIOSrev13 installer, popped it in, installed it, and there we go it worked.

To recognize your USB, you require a CIOS thats 9+, and I guess I just had one that was below 9. The installers for a cIOS are easy to find, just google for one.

Btw, not sure if it matters, but my external is usb powered

edit: testing out the wbfs, thanks, not sure if its going to work, praying for the best >.>
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jun 2009 @ 19:15
okay, wbfs intelligent worked for me eventually.

So I am happy to say, I was able to finally partition the freaking thing, and loaded up some freaking backups, and I got a couple of backups to work. I also had some problems though.

I've installed the usb loader gx, and it works fine, but it didn't prompt me to input a password. How do I unlock the program now?

Hypothetically, are there any compatability issues.. such as with PAL games? My "friend" has the same issue as me, and when he played Raving Rabids 2, the screen flickered, had no color, and had horizontal bars on it. Not very appealing heh. Emergency Heroes just failed completely, showing a bunch of black with coding? These were both PAL games. I thought that by using USB Loader GX, the region of the game didn't matter anymore?

Anyone want to enlighten me? :p
Originally posted by faijufung:
okay, wbfs intelligent worked for me eventually.

So I am happy to say, I was able to finally partition the freaking thing, and loaded up some freaking backups, and I got a couple of backups to work. I also had some problems though.

I've installed the usb loader gx, and it works fine, but it didn't prompt me to input a password. How do I unlock the program now?

Hypothetically, are there any compatability issues.. such as with PAL games? My "friend" has the same issue as me, and when he played Raving Rabids 2, the screen flickered, had no color, and had horizontal bars on it. Not very appealing heh. Emergency Heroes just failed completely, showing a bunch of black with coding? These were both PAL games. I thought that by using USB Loader GX, the region of the game didn't matter anymore?

Anyone want to enlighten me? :p
I think the USB loader just blocks the update for you before you launch the game that is from other region, well, if you play PAL games on NTSC TV, I think there are compatibility issues with display but just a guess.

btw, are you from Hong Kong?
Hm alright thanks, I'll look that up. Not the first time my "friend" played PAL games, and it wasn't an issue before. I'll check that up later.

No, I'm from singapore, parents are malay
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jul 2010 @ 22:33
Originally posted by faijufung:
Hm alright thanks, I'll look that up. Not the first time my "friend" played PAL games, and it wasn't an issue before. I'll check that up later.

You're guessing that because of my user name right? My parents are from Hong Kong :p
I suppose you speak Cantonese? I speak that.
Yep, ironically, I tried the same isos, that gave me a problem, burnt them on a dvd, and they worked flawlessly.. this is confusing.. any ideas anyone?
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.