1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte HD 4850

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by emugamer, Jun 27, 2009.

1. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

My card has been giving me problems since I got it. Specifically with gaming. It works great for everything else. No issues at all. And although I didn't get this card for gaming, I did expect it to somewhat perform under modest load.

The problem is/was either an infinite loop, crash to Windows or BSOD. The infinite loop error doesn't come up anymore. But I get booted out of games with the windows has just recovered from a serious problem. BSOD once in a while.

I've tested it with a number of games - Wolverine Origins, Terminator, Spiderman Web of Shadows, etc... When playing Wolverine Origins, the game would freeze, the card would hiccup, the screen would go black for about 10 seconds and then the game would recover and continue. Spiderman Web of Shadows would pause for a split second every 5 seconds of swinging. Terminator just crashes be back to Windows.

Tomb Raider Underworld has displayed all three symptoms at random. Not all the time though. I played for an hour straight without problems on these games with nothing happening, but I've also played 5 minutes and they've happened.

I've uninstalled all drivers in safe mode and re-installed the card in a different PCIe slot. I've installed the latest catalyst drivers twice already. Could it be a temperature issue? I's a passively cooled card. I've run everest while playing and checked the temp right after exiting the game - 80C. This is about a 40C rise over normal operation. Typically the card runs at around 38C.

Thanks in advance.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it a passive card? that would explain the 80C temperature, but that's no issue, most cards are stable until 100ÂșC+. Which OS and driver revision are you using?