1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD-ROM Drive won't read DVDs at all

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Artofn00b, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Artofn00b

Artofn00b Member

So basically, here's what happened.

A couple months ago, I got a really nasty virus on my computer. I wasn't able to remove it despite trying everything I (and others that were heling me) could think of. So in the end, I had to format the hard drive. Before I did that, DVDs were read perfectly. I even watched movies a few times on my computer. Now, they won't read at all. I've updated my firmware, twice, and nothing changes; it's all up-to-date. CDs read fine, but DVDs don't, and I can't burn anything to them either. I don't understand why it's not working when it did before the format, not to mention the firmware is up-to-date.

I'd really appreciate some help to resolve this issue!

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

Apparently your dvd rom drive is dying how old is it? it could just be a coincidence happening after you had to do all this reformatting. There is not much you can do and with dvdrw drives as low as $30 on newegg.com it's really not worth the trouble but you may also want to check your ide cables just to be sure.

3. Artofn00b

Artofn00b Member

I've had it since I got the computer, which was like in 2004.

4. elliott

elliott Regular member

looks like it's time to get not only a newer one but a better one they now burn and read write much faster than the old ones and most have lightscribe.

5. Artofn00b

Artofn00b Member

Hmm, I guess that's my only choice. In the meantime I can use my brother's PC for DVD-burning. Thanks.

6. Mely4fun

Mely4fun Member

Hello...Can someone help me to find the firware for My DVD-ROM
    Its a Samsung Rom-SD-616T....It stop reading CD's so was going to try updating the firmware to see if that will help..Also would like to Upadate the firmware for my DVD Burner if that is ok to post here...Its a Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1P....Thanks for all your help

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member