1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Framerate skipping for D8 tapes to PC via firewire?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Matt1039, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Matt1039

Matt1039 Member

I have a sony handycam DCR-TRV240 with a bunch of Hi8/D8 tapes that I want to transfer to the pc. The problem I am experiencing is that the framerate is skipping intermittently. The video is "watchable" but as you can imagine, I would like smooth video for my home movies being played on the pc.

The capture tool I used is winDV and tried both type 1 and type 2. As I record, I can see the framerate skipping at times on the pc, even though the camera is playing very smooth. I have tried two computers, one is 32-bit vista with 4gb ram, 3.06GHz core 2 extreme (5.5 windows experience index rating), the other is a quad core xp machine with 3gb ram and nvidia 8800GT graphics card. I am experiencing the exact same problem on both machines.

Any suggestions?

2. Matt1039

Matt1039 Member

Can anybody help me please?

3. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Hello -
    since the firewire download is nothing more than a dump of the
    data, there must be something wrong with either the camera or the
    cable you're using.

Do you get any indicators of dropped frames while it's downloading?

4. Matt1039

Matt1039 Member

Yes, the camera plays the video fine, but on the pc end you can preview the video, and it jumps during transfer. i have tried both firewire cables (400 and 800 i believe). perhaps i need to use an overly priced cable? haha. the cable i'm using now is a 3 dollar amazon deal.