1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anolog or digital? Plextor or Pioneer?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by steff3, Mar 27, 2004.

1. steff3

steff3 Member

Hi all,
    Great info, thanks to all!!! I am new to this and want to purchase a new DVD writer. Am back and forth between the Plextor (which in a few weeks will be out with a 12x (+) and 8x (-) DVD. 4x RW DVD, and 48 – 24 – 48 cd r, cd rw, and cd read.
    I read earlier in this thread about the A107 only able to do the audio in analog? If true, does this mean that the audio on a copied movie will not output in Dolby digital or even surround sound? This would be the only reason to go to Plextor if true.
    Thanks again, you are all awesome!

2. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

I am not sure what actually did you see written about Pioneer 107D (digital DVD movie audio being copied only as analog ?...) but it is so far out that I am not even sure how to respond to it. Simple answer is NO. It will (of course) extract and record digital... (unless you want to record from analog output)

Also on the Plextor vs. Pioneer issue. I believe that the question should be rether NEC ND-2500 vs. Pioneer DVR-107D, with the scale tipping slightly on the NEC side.

I have Pioneer 107D and LOVE it. Simple as that.

Last but not least... It is hard enough to get decent 8x blanks, by the time 12x will start appearing the new 16x standard will be ready to ship. If anything I would wait for the dual layer recorders.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Not quite sure how the NEC is better than the Plextor.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  4. steff3

steff3 Member

[bold]IndigoBoy
    19 February 2004 03:47
    One difference that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the Plextor has both digital and analogue audio output and the Pioneer only has analogue.

If I'm using my DVD for home-entertaiment (watching movies) I'd want to try and keep the audio signal digital, passing it out, via the SP/DIF connector on my Graphics or Audio card, to an external AV Receiver for Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding and amplification.

Just a thought...[/bold]

ogryzek

The above is where I read something on analog - digital.
    Forgive me if the question was naive :(
    As I said I am new to this and if you don't ask you won't find out :)

What does NEC ND-2500 have to do with PLEXTOR?

8x disk are readily avialable at Meritime and at a good price.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated, even if it is critical lol

5. Nephilim

Hiya steff,

I have no idea where IndigoBoy got the idea that the Pioneer outputs only analog audio. Maybe he's referring to the physical connectors on the back of the drive which is silly because they're rarely used anymore. You should be able to go into device manager and enable digital audio for your drive through there.

Both the Pioneer 107/A07 and the Plextor PX-708A are outstanding, quality drives. I've had nothing but great results from my 708 but the fact that the Pioneer is equally good and a heck of a lot cheaper makes the 708A hard to recommend unless you're a Plextor-slut like me :)

As for the higher 12X and 16X speeds coming out, I'm not even interested for the simple fact that you're not gaining much time and trading off burn quality. I'm a big believer that just because you can go faster doesn't mean you should go faster. I have a 52X CD burner but I never burn faster than 40X because any faster and the error rates jump way up. CD players can handle most errors pretty well but DVD players don't.

One other thing, do yourself a favor and [bold]don't[/bold] buy an NEC 2500 over a Pioneer or Plextor.
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  6. steff3

steff3 Member

Nephilim,

Thanks much! You answered exactly what I was asking. I suppose it boils down to the best price for either unit, which is the same conclusion I came up with on my own research. It is just good to get it from someone who actually knows.

This forum is great.

Thanks again!

7. Nephilim

8. FlameRT

FlameRT Member

Might want to look at BestBuy....they have the Plex 708a on sale this week for 149.00
    Thats a good price to find it local.
    And I love my plextor....have owned 3 diffrent brands.
    and this thing is rock solid and works great.

9. steff3

steff3 Member

Yeppers, saw that same ad in yesterdays paper...on my way.

Thanks for the input.

10. greasygee

greasygee Member

Keep in mind, that $149.99 Best Buy price is [bold]after rebate[/bold]. Before rebate it is $179.99.

The Pioneer 107 is selling for around $110 for the bare drive.

11. steff3

steff3 Member

Where is the Pioneer at for 110.00 ? U.S.?

12. Nephilim

Not quite the $110 but his site is very good to deal with has the 107 for $120/$5 ship. 90% of my current system was purchased through them with nary a problem.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-129-138&depa=1

Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  13. greasygee

greasygee Member

I just purchased the Pioneer 107 for $108 (free ground shipping) from www.avlogic.com. It included one Piodata (I think) 8x DVD-R disc which burned perfectly at 8x.

The drive is also available at www.nt-micro.com for $105 (free shipping).

I actually just used Price Watch to find it (www.pricewatch.com). I chose avlogic.com because it is very close to my home in California (fast shipping!) and because it received more positive reviews.

The drive came in one day, so I'm quite pleased!

I really don't like to mess with rebates, because half the time I never get the rebate check, and the times I do usually require a lot of persistence and patience.

Good luck shopping.

14. Nephilim

Amen to that.

15. steff3

steff3 Member

Thanks for the purchase leads. I all but had my mind made up on Plextor but for the price differance and equally good reviews the Pioneer is looking good. Any other advice that might make a differance?

16. Nephilim

Buy either one and become one of us! Mwahahaha!
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  17. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

In the case of 'analog out' on Nephilim was right. That is used only for connection to audio card (and of course some better audio cards have both: 4 pin analog and 2 pin digital inputs). As far as S/PDIF that audio data 'travels' (from the drive to mobo to S/PDIF out) over your IDE interface cable.

On the NEC issue. From what I have read on that drive, and considering price, I would probably pick NEC over Plextor. Especially that you can get [bold]Booktype firmware[/bold] for it (you would be able to record DVD+R that are recognized as standard DVD-ROMs by stand-alone DVD players)

On the Pioneer issue - get yourself hacked firmware ver 1.10 ~ delicious.

18. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

In another post I replied this about the Pioneer

How could you beat that! Especially when it can cut the DVD backup times in MORE than half because of the 12x extraction!

19. steff3

steff3 Member

Thanks again. You have all been extremely helpful. Pioneer for the price and capabilities looks like the way to go. Ordering today!

20. steff3

steff3 Member

btw - does anyone have a good link for the hacked firmware upgrade? Flashman....seems to no longer be active.