1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD5990/37 - Add media code or change booktype?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Geekspeak, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Geekspeak

Geekspeak Member

Hello. We just bought the DVP 5990/37 and it has the DVP 5990_37.bin firmware from the manufacturer. We went to staples and bought some blank dvd's but they won't load in the player for divx files. The media code for them is CMC MAG.M01. Brand is Staples DVD+R 4.7GB 16x. I never burn at 16x, just 8x in case you needed that too.

After reading several posts on this forum and a couple others, I get it that the media we bought is pretty much crap but funds are tight for us at the moment so I'm looking for a way to possibly edit the player's firmware to get it to read the dvd's.

Is there a way to add the media code so the player will read them? I can do this for dvd burners in computers but I've been searching Google for 2 days and cannot find anything relating to this issue.

I just ran across something on this forum about changing something called booktype. Could I change the booktype for the +r's to -r? Would that maybe trick the player into reading them?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Got the discs to burn at 4x. Still curious if there's a way to hack the firmware to add faster burning at 8x.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Sounds as if the disks are marginal with your Philips.
    Have yor tried the Nero Cd/Dvd speed program disk quality check
    with your 4x/8x burns to see how they score? You may be surprised.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_CD-DVD_Speed_d118.html

In general, I've never seen 16x media receive a better burn by burning it at 4x.

You may be able to booktype to dvd-rom. Does the Philips prefer
    -r media? Perhaps you should have bought those.

Have had good luck with Sony -r 16x Media, also the Verbatims that go on
    sale at Best Buy every couple of weeks (or so it seems)

3. Geekspeak

Geekspeak Member

Thanks Dave. I'll try it out tomorrow. I know the discs burnt at 8x can be read by the burner in my pc but not the standalone player. It only sees them at 4x. The info and tool is most appreciated.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

A lot of standalone players from a couple of years back really struggle with any 16X disks.. I have a big stash of 8x printables for customers.. 16x + or - came back in droves.