1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound quality goes down as bitrate goes up

Discussion in 'Audio' started by redbanana, Sep 8, 2009.

1. redbanana

redbanana Member

Hey guys, I've got an annoying issue that's really starting to bug me. For some reason when I have a high quality song ripped right off of CD there is a terrible fuzzy interference-type sound when played through my computer. With lower quality versions (ie downloaded music) I do not get this problem. I made two test videos that sort of show the problem, but obviously it's more apparent in person. The first video is a 2.31 mb version right off the cd, and the second version is a 4692 kb version I downloaded before I bought the CD. The tests were done with same volume and camera in same spot. Why does the compressed version sound better? Thanks.

2. redbanana

redbanana Member

I'm not sure how to edit here, but I forgot to add something. When I use headphones the fuzzy sound is still there.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

What software did you use to rip and what was your encoder? You didn't rip the music correctly.

To edit look to the upper right and click on the icon that is usually a head. When it is yours, the icon changes to an edit icon.

4. redbanana

redbanana Member

Ah, I see the head, thanks :).

I don't know what encoder was used (or even exactly what that is), but I used Windows Media Player to rip them. Perhaps I'll try again and see what happens.

Edit: Yup, that did it. I went into the rip settings and changed the format and raised the bitrate even more. I still don't quite understand why the 4000 kb version sounded better though.

Thanks Mez :).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Mez

Mez Active member

Use EAC. Much harder to use but the sound will be perfect. There are guides in AD.

WMP is pure garbage and the source of your problems. Get Media Monkey. WPM is not only disigned to produce garbage (so you want to down load songs from them) but it is a trojen app. It spys on you and sends the data back to M$.