1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capture wont encode to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by wolfdogg, Sep 13, 2009.

1. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

i captured a video using v-dub, then converted the .avi to dvd using 'convertx to dvd' i am getting a video encoding error.

unsupported decoder (id=0) for input stream #0.0, discarding stream
    no decodable video stream found, cant convert

file video info through v-dub is
    480x240,29.970
    ffdshow video codec (3lv2)
    1844 key frames
    1260kbps (0.45% overhead)

should i run an avi fix on this file? or is there something obdious that im overlooking?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is that 3LV2 or 3IV2?

Try selecting another codec in VirtualDub.

3. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

it might be 3Iv2, but looks like 3lv2, which i misinterpreted as 3Lv2, it looks like a lower cased L

it could be either, im not familiar with the codec files particularly.

It was ran in v-dub a year ago, i have a BUNCh of files in a "ready": folder, and all i need to do with those files is convert them to dvd. they are from VHS.

instead of running them in v-dub again, which i no longer have the source, how can i get them onto dvd?

I dont think i can recompress it in v-dub without loss right?

4. attar

attar Senior member

There is a 3ivx codec (uncommon, probably because you have to buy it after 30 days).
    DVD Flick can convert AVI files created with 3ivx.

[​IMG]

5. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

it looks like what happened is this was back when i was messing with the 3ivx codec which is the only one i had that used mpeg 4 i believe.

i ran into some problems, especially when i tried to share videos.

This time when i rebuilt my system i avoid codec packs, and stick with only the best basics.

ffdshow is the only thing i had installed prior to my getting re-acquainted with v-dub with a 6 month down time using it.

i also have pegasus picvideo m-jpeg3vfw codec installed, which is what i use for capture in place of huffyuv nowadays.

6. attar

attar Senior member

So it's resolved?

7. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

not really, i got onto this board because i have been a user of this website for years, and now i am just beginning to be able to adress my problem wiht a certain amount of education, lol.

if i have these files with audio codec problems, what is the best way to recompress them using virtual dub. First of all, to load them into virtual dub i have to find out what codec is used to begin with, and virtual dub just says Unknown(tag 2000) for the audio compression.

What shoud i use to identify the codec used firstly. maybe g-spot? than shoudl i downlaod the codec, recompress the audio then dump the codec off my system? i dont want any non-mainstream codecs on my system anymore. I feel the need to use mainstream opensource proven high quality, high compression codecs from now on. According to someones testimony that ffdshow is all they needed, i thought i would try that. im running into these errors. So i added so far picvideo, which may not be used much anymore unless i find a good use for it, and then i had to add huffyuv so that virtual dub would support huffyuv capture files where it wouldnt support them as captured through ffdshow's huffyuv.

So i want to load these broken audio files, and recompress the audio. so i guess i have to find the codec first, install it, then recompress teh audio to get them working on bare bones sytems.

or is there another way?

p.s. another codec i added to my system is a certain version of libavcodec that windows media player was sure to support. it was an attempt to get these broken audio files to play on wmp. now that i am using virtual dub and see the same errors, i finally realize it wasnt that at all, it was actually the codec i used to make the videos in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  9. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

thanks. now its starting to make sense. G-spot lists it as 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3.

I assume that codec is only in licensed packages, and must have been installed with the pinnacle software. Im trying to avoid installing that and do everything manually, except for ffdshow pack.

Is it a bad idea to use ac3 for encodes? Isnt it included with most audio software?

10. attar

attar Senior member

It's hard to avoid AC3 if you intend to make DVD's.
    A casual user like myself can't justify the cost of the commercial equivalents to the best free-ware and open source.

11. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

where can i go to find that codec. i tried the ac3 "filter" and that didnt do anything. So how can i find this stand alone, without having to install a whole pack of things?

12. attar

attar Senior member

13. vivian777

vivian777 Guest

I know a video converter that supports many formats-------http://www.i'manidiot.com edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  14. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

Part of the problem may be using ConvertXToDVD in the first place. In all honesty, this tool appears to have been created for converting downloaded AVI TV shows into DVDs. Other tasks usually end in posts like this, where there are problems.

If you want to make a DVD, then I'd suggest capturing as HuffYUV in VirtualDub, and then encoding to MPEG in an actual MPEG encoder. TMPGEnc Plus is a cheap one, $30's range software. If you need a guide for using TMPGEnc Plus, see this one.

Changing the method is probably the best course of action.