1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I have a question.

Are the mp3 players everyone is using not Audible compatible? If they were you could just download portions of the book from AM.

As for me I just burn a set of CD's from AM & play them in my home, truck & portable CD players. That works just fine for me & I keep the CD's to play later as I wish.

2. Imemine

Imemine Member

If you burn them to cd's via audible manager (the software audible uses) you can then burn them back as MP3 format. A little longer process, but it works.

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

You mean rip the CD's into MP3 files. Yes that is possible...

4. Imemine

Imemine Member

Yes. that's all you do. its time consuming but it works.
    Or you could just get a mp3 player that is audible compatable and they will play on that.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I prefer to burn CD's with AM & play them on several CD players I own. Works just fine for me!

6. phenner

phenner Member

My problem is, mostly because I have a "cheap" (non-audible compatable ... 128MB) MP3 player, when I restart my selection, it starts from the very beginning.

If it is a 3-7 audiobook, like most of mine are, this will not do ... unless I have a 3-7 hour stretch (and good batteries) to listen. This is why this thread started, I believe. There is a need to convert large Audiobook files into several segments of MP3 files ... mine are 15 minutes each. This way, I only have to re-listen to up to 15 minutes of previously heard material.

For me, this works out great because I am a bit of a "spiritual nut" and I am listening to 3+ hour seminars by Chopra & Tolle that take quite a few listenings to "get" anyway.

Thanks for all your help guys & gals ... especially you, Adam ... I am still using your first version of Quicksplit after downloading it from the server in Austin, Texas shortly after you wrote it in Nov. '03 at the University of Texas. Matter of fact ... it's still there:

http://home.austin.rr.com/unpocoloco/java/AudioBook/index.html

Later!
    Mike

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  7. drgthang

drgthang Guest

I guess Im lucky enough to be using an older version of Itunes. I have the freeware program dbhymn, which converts itunes files to MP3..So it works with the .m4b file I got the latest audiobook in. Then I can use "Audacity" to edit the mp3's, cut them up etc. If you have MAC with OS X, then thats the way to go, if you havent upgraded to the latest Itunes..

8. el_loco

el_loco Member

Thanks, Mike :) Yeah, I'm not sure why that page is still up, should've been erased a long time ago. Oh well.
    The new version is at http://www.geocities.com/app_hq/AudioBook/
    It allows you to place lame (mp3 converter) where ever you please, and also remembers how long you'd like the default split length to be. One day I might make it convert to mp3 in series, instead of in parallel...might be quicker. Not really a priority right now, though, since this works just fine.
    For all the rest of you, the answer is right there on that page!
    Happy listenin
    - Adam

9. hedger04

hedger04 Member

I am trying to covert by audible books to mp3 or any other easy to use format. The problem is that I am no longer an audible member. I purchased these books then my computer crashed and then I reloaded my music back to my PC from my Ipod. The problem was that iTunes didnt reload my books because my audible id was no longer valid.

I tried using goldwave but it ask for my audible id.

Any suggestions.

Thank you much

10. Imemine

Imemine Member

If you purchased the books via audible, they keep your library for you whether you still subscribe or not. Sort of like once a member always a member, even though you don't pay the monthly fee, those are the books you bought. If your login is gone, call audible and they will get you back up.

Use audible manager to burn the audible files to cd then you can convert them with something like music match back to mp3's.

11. caewrzlra

caewrzlra Guest

This may help those of you who want the resume feature, but not at the cost of the continued use of the .aa format. First, convert them to .mp3's using one of the afore-mentioned methods. I suggest archiving your property in this or .ogg format for future conversion as technology advances. Ogg is the best as it is free and open-source.
    The next step can be done in several ways- at the time of this writing, iTunes is available for free for Win/Mac at apple.com/itunes, and is the quickest way. Import your .mp3 into iTunes, and right-click (ctrl-click on Mac) to convert to AAC. iTunes will drop a new copy of the audio file into your iTunes music folder. The AAC will have the extension of .m4a- simply edit this to .m4b and the file instantly has resume capability. If you own a portable device that will play AAC, you are in luck! Portability and resume withought DRM. Be sure to have your import settings on 'AAC' in iTunes- this should be the default.
    -----
    A comment on the conversion from .aa: Unlocking a previous 'trial' version of River Past or Goldwave might be as simple as finding any old 'key' (so I have been told!). You might try Google.com for this, as it worked for my...uh, friend.

12. jack51002

jack51002 Member

Hey all - I have read through all of these posts, and just want to say thanks for the information. I am an MIS person, and know just enough tech stuff to be dangerous!

Again, thanks!

13. Imemine

Imemine Member

Yep, goldwave works. You just have to keep deleting that playlist.ap file. Keep a window open on the audible program and when it remakes that file, get rid of it. I wonder what happens when you don't have the audible program on your computer?

14. bottles

bottles Member

My apologies in advance if I've missed something basic but I've hit a wall with
    (both real-time and batch) aa to mp3 conversion w/ GoldWave and I could use some help.

When I select a file, a dialog (which nobody else seems to have encountered) indicating "Cannot determine format of file"
    and which prompts for format, attributes, and rate comes up.

What next?

P.S. I get the same result with both v4.26 and v5.10 eval copies

15. nerys

nerys Member

i have had that happen before
    it usually happens when I dont have audible installed

try uninstall audible reinstalling and reactivating it (must be active)

then try again

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

16. bottles

bottles Member

Thanks for the tip, Chris. One thing though, I currently have "Audible DownloadManager for iPod and iTunes" rather than Audible Manager so I was wanted to make sure the latter is NOT a prerequisite for a working Goldwave installation. Which are you using?

17. nerys

nerys Member

I imagine you need the actual manager installed since the error your getting is exactly what I get when I do not have it installed.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

18. JonnyCuca

JonnyCuca Guest

I have had success using goldwave to convert .aa files to .mp3 however, you have to use the right versions (audible version 3.5 and goldwave 5.06) and I have had it work on some computers and not on others (I do not know why).

You can also use River Past Audio Converter. If you use River Past Audio Converter version 5.1.1 (and I hear verion 5.1) everything works great. You can use the Lame mp3 codec directly and get CD quality MP3s. If you use River Past Audio Converter version 5.0, you cannot use the Lame codec directly (and they limit the bit rate so the quality is compromised). Instead, to get CD quality, you have to convert the .aa file to .wav and then use RazorLame (a free program you get with the Lame codec) to convert the .wav file to .Mp3.

Unfortunatly, I lost my River Past Audio Converter version 5.1.1 and cannot get that version from River Past. If anyone has this version of the program, please send it to me (I already have my registration code).

Thank you for any help you can give me in helping track down River Past Audio Converter version 5.1.1 (or 5.1).

Jonny Cucaracha
    jonnycucaracha@yahoo.com

19. bottles

bottles Member

I'm up and running with the recommended installation combination! Thank you Jonny C.

FYI - I found an official link to one component on http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/38787.
    The unofficial link to the other is broken however a simple search revealed many other sources.

Thanks again to Chris T for putting me on the right path.

20. bottles

bottles Member

BTW the aa file attributes according to GoldWave are

System PCM signed 16 bit, 8000Hz, 128 kbps, mono