1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamada dvx 6600

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Daljinec, Mar 11, 2004.

1. noias

noias Member

Hi to everyone. I bought a DVD player Yamada 6600 and a surround loudspeaker system Clatronic SLS 570. I read the specifications of both, and both are ready to read DTS audio. But when i a chose that kind of audio system it doesn't work!!!

I'm serching for help!!!!

2. fishily

fishily Member

@noias

Looked up the specs of your surround system and got this

• Integrated surround sound decoder and amplifier
    • Dolby® Digital Ready
    • DTS Ready
    • Blue LED status display integrated in the subwoofer
    • Mirror lenses illuminated in blue
    • Blue mains control lamp
    • Infrared remote control
    • 6 x RCA line-in for AC3 and DTS input
    • 2 x RCA line-in Q sound
    • 1 centre loudspeaker
    • 2 front loudspeakers
    • 2 rear loudspeakers
    • 1 subwoofer
    • Includes 4 loudspeaker stands
    • 500-watt PMPO
    • On/off switch
    • Volume control
    • Selector switches CD, AUX, 5.1 Channel
    • Accessories: 2 m cinch cable, 30 m loudspeaker cable
    • Power supply: 230 V, 50 Hz

Dolby® Digital has 3 full front channels and 2 full surround channels. Each loudspeaker (including subwoofer) is driven individually.

Surround sound works with a stereo signal (front) and 4 other channels.

Despite saying "Integrated surround sound decoder and amplifier" I get the impression that the inputs are just analogue and you are using the yamada's decoder.

To the best of my knowledge (and I would be very happy if someone tells me I'm wrong) the yamada will only decode a dolby digital (AC3) signal to the 6 analogue outs. A DTS signal is outputted to the digital. The vast majority of dvd players with decoders built in operate this way due to licensing fees. My old cybehome was the same, DD decoding but 'pass thru' on DTS. Even my old Samsung which had no built in decoder at all had the DTS logo on it because it could send the DTS signal to a receiver to decode.

As you know it is part of the spec for DVDs that they have to have a DD soundtrack on the disk, the trouble is some DTS releases only have a DD 2.0 as backup.

So either buy a decoder/amplifier/receiver capable of DTS decoding or stick to disks with DD 5.1 tracks or disks with DTS and make sure they also have DD 5.1.

Like I said, if someone could tell me they the above is incorrect, I would be very happy to find out the decoder will decode DTS.

Cheers

Fish

3. baldrick

baldrick Member

Hi Fish!

I guess you could be right on track, because I have already tried playing a DTS audio on Yamada (I have no surround receiver, just good old Yamaha stereo amp.) and all I got was sound like I remember from good old days of ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 - or maybe an analogue modem sound (chrssshhzhsssssiiiieeeeeekszrkhsshhhh) and I gave up without further investigating this matter. But your explanation sound good...

4. fishily

fishily Member

Ah, Jet Set Willy. The good old days.

5. micol

micol Member

Hi all, Newbie here.

I've just read this entire thread as I have a sound but no picture problem. A few people wrote of similar problems but there was never really any answers of what to do to resolve this. I thought It would be to do with the frame size as one is 960 x 528. But the other file is 640 x 256 and still plays sound but no picture??

Here is the avicheck info:

avi1:

Total Streams: 2
    Running Time: 2:12:38
    Index Chunk: Yes
    Interleaved: Yes
    Max Bytes Per Sec: 0
    AUDIO: 0 - AC3 (0x2000)
    Average Bitrate Per Sec: 448 kb/s
    Samples Rate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 5
    Bits Per Sample: 0
    SuggestedBufferSize: 28000
    Sample Size: 1
    VIDEO: XVID
    B-VOP: Yes
    S(GMC)-VOP: No
    QuarterPixel: No
    Frame Size: 640 x 256
    Frames Rate: 25.000
    Color Depth: 24
    Total Frames: 198957
    SuggestedBufferSize: 149922

avi2:

Total Streams: 2
    Running Time: 0:42:04
    Index Chunk: Yes
    Interleaved: Yes
    Max Bytes Per Sec: 0
    AUDIO: 0 - AC3 (0x2000)
    Average Bitrate Per Sec: 384 kb/s
    Samples Rate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 6
    Bits Per Sample: 0
    SuggestedBufferSize: 24000
    Sample Size: 1
    VIDEO: XVID
    B-VOP: Yes
    S(GMC)-VOP: No
    QuarterPixel: No
    Frame Size: 960 x 528
    Frames Rate: 23.976
    Color Depth: 12
    Total Frames: 60535
    SuggestedBufferSize: 156868

Can anyone help?? As I really would like to watch these files!!

6. fishily

fishily Member

@micol

As you know the 960*whatever won't play because the resolution is too high. Looks like one of the HR tv rips to me. The 640*whatever file, is a strange one, if you give us the file-name then we could probably find out a bit more.

Fish

7. fishily

fishily Member

Just saw the length of the lower resolution file is that of a fairly hefty film (over 2 hours). Is it opendml file? Is it over 2 gig.

8. baldrick

baldrick Member

Or you can always go the other way - get some DIVX or XVID conversion program (DrDIVX would do, but is time limited or something) and recode files to resolution and format that plays. Takes time but I did it couple of times.

9. fishily

fishily Member

@micol

Use GSPOT to check if it is opendml

10. micol

micol Member

Thanks for your responses.

Fishily; The movie is Master & Commander. I don't know if it is opendml and I'm at work at the moment so can't check. I'll check later & let you know.

I have resised the first one to 512x288 and it now plays fine!

Baldrick; The only problem with Dr.Divx is that I will loose my AC3 audio as it always changes it to mp3

11. fishily

fishily Member

@micol

If the avi2 is a tv eps, in future don't download the 700 meg AC3 version just the normal 350 meg version. It's the best way to be honest.

Fish

12. micol

micol Member

Too Late Fishily! I've just finished dowloading all 13 episodes!! (Doh!). Mind you I much prefer the AC3 sound. I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth all this hassle though.

13. baldrick

baldrick Member

I have used Tmpgenc to change DIVX or XVID files, change the audio interleave (I had problems with crazy interleaves when computer digests it, but Yamada doesn't), but you have to have proper codecs (xvid and divx) installed. You can also extract audio (MP3 or AC3) and many other things. But you have to play a bit and a strong computer HELPs! See guides on this site.

Good luck!

14. fishily

fishily Member

I would use virtualdub to recode the 960xwhatever files then. Use the direct stream copy for the audio this will leave your AC3 track intact. For the video, use the filter resize and full stream processing with either xvid or divx. Change the resolution to the max support by the 6600 if you are going to make another 700meg file. I would not suggest making a 350 meg file with AC3 but your do get some groups releasing 350 meg file with AC3 but your mileage will vary. Use the bitrate calculator making sure you input the correct length of the episode, the rate audio bitrate (448 or whatever) and the size you want to make.

by my recogning the episode you listed there would be

Video 2342 kbits
    Audio 384 kbits

to make a 700 meg file

If it crashes on multipass try a single pass. Obviously multi would be better, but hey.

Fish

15. micol

micol Member

Thanks Fishily.

I've used Virtual Dub and kept the AC3. I've had a few mixed results with the finished quality though. I've decided now that I'm just going to scrap the files I have and go for the HDTV-LOL versions instead!

16. baldrick

baldrick Member

I Aplogoize - It is Virtualdub that i was using, but it has been some time now, and by then I was working also on recoding DVD and hence the mistake in program names.
    Sorry....

17. fishily

fishily Member

@micol

Yeh, your mileage varies with reencoding. Obviously the more passes the better and, different settings yadayada.

Getting the 350 meg files is by far the best idea. Also you will find it quicker to download them, if you get them as soon as possible after release. (I'm guessing what method you are using ;-) )

I think we should try and make a yamada FAQ and start a newer thread. This thread is like 6 years old in dog years and the yamada has changed a bit since then, as has xvid which went to pot on the yamada after v1.

18. noias

noias Member

I've been to the store where i bought the surround loud speakers and they said that i only could have DTS sound output using the Coaxial cable!!!

It's true??? If i want to connect by the 5.1 channel input conectors what should i do???

Can you give me some advice, like what columns would make the DTS, or maybe a not very expensive amplifier through which the DTS would be decoded, or any other suggestion u would find useful.

Thank you in advence for your help!!!

Noias

19. fishily

fishily Member

@noias

Without knowing where you are it's hard to give recommendations for DTS amplifiers/receivers. And as I said before, I believe the yamada 6600 does not decode a DTS signal to its analogue outputs but I would be happier if others can confirm that.

The press release from yamada themselves only mentions AC3, see below

There are mediatek player that can out DTS thru' their analogue outputs like the e-boda so you never know someone may find out enough about the firmware to hack this in or may be they won't, we will see.

DTS is nice (I use a separate decoder) but to be honest I don't go out of my way for DTS titles. I would also wonder about why (in UK prices) someone would want to stick a sub £50 DVD player to a DTS receiver with a minimum cost of £120.

Do you dislike the sound of Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks that much? It is obviously possible to tell the difference between DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with its much higher bitrate but I would be suprised if many yamadas are attached to amp and/or speaker setups where the difference between AC3 and DTS is very great.

My 2 cents, please feel free to disagree with the above (I do a bit ;-).....)

Fish

20. jami01

jami01 Member

Have Yamada really addressed the Packed Bitstream issue with the 6700 running the latest firmware? Initially, I thought so, but after encountering a little jerkiness in several titles, I had to revert to unpacking it, which enabled them to work fine.

Anyone else having the same issues with the 6700? It makes be wonder why I bothered to upgrade at all.