1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus/Trojan in MP3's - P2P users beware!!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by drchips, Apr 8, 2004.

1. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi all,

I found this today:
    http://www.macnn.com/news/24162

Yes, I DO know it is on a MAC....

BUT:
    The MAC is running OSX (broadly based on UNIX/LINUX), which tends to be more secure and less liable to exploitation than Micro$haft machines...

You can BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR that the same exploits are being developed for Windoze based machines AS YOU READ THIS.....

Anyone who d/l's MP3's had better get REAL SERIOUS about proper security - a firewall/peerguardian/update/antivirus method will NOT be enough to stop this!!!!

Sandboxing or exec permissions will do it, but very few use that level of security (I do!!!).

Have Fun.... !LOL!

2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

does this affect microsoft systems?

3. drchips

drchips Active member

[bold]aXidburn:[/bold]
    Not yet, but bear in mind the security issues (virus/trojan etc) that plague Windows systems, you would be safer assuming that it will...

Have Fun....

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I always figured Mac users were too artsy-fartsy to want to create an OSX trojan. Guess it was a matter of time.

5. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i use emule so that is still mp3's but i have macfee anti virus, what other programs do u suggest?

6. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

LOL, i just thought the mac was more secure, oh no that was ver 9 i think running a certain service, pretty unhackable. Maosx (10) is supposed to be more vulnerable. I'm an xp pro user, so i'm pretty open to attack, except i have a pretty good adsl router with a good firewall. Tried some of those sites that tells you if it can gain access through any open ports, pretty secure.

Firewall + antivirus s/ware is a must these days if you're running a few pcs on a network behind a firewall (like me) and i stopped using M$ services such as IE6 and their email proggies, people just love to attack M$ products.

7. drchips

drchips Active member

[bold]aXidburn:[/bold]

I suggest you have a look at:
    http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/trust-no-exe/trust-no-exe.htm

Also you should be looking at/considering IDS (Intrusion Detection Systems):
    http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/network-intrusion-detection.html

[bold]pbailey:[/bold]
    Got some bad news for ya...

This exploit would not involve IE* or Outlook* (LookOut??),

if anything it would involve Media Player API's and DLLs - if you have not disabled them on your system (firewall or not, they ARE trusted apps in your system, I bet) then you would be at risk....

Keep Safe Folks...