1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i convert windows media audio/video files to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aldav45, Apr 9, 2004.

1. aldav45

aldav45 Member

topic?

2. aldav45

aldav45 Member

please help??

3. aldav45

aldav45 Member

i've got tmpgenc v 1.5.13.44 can i do it with that?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aldav45,

What kind of a question is -

It doesn't tell us:

1. what kind of files you're starting with,
    (No, I don't think the original files were Windows Media Files)
    2. what guides you've looked at
    3. what your PC spec are
    4. what software you have
    5. what you have tried so far
    6. where you had trouble in your attempts so far
    7. what your file sizes are
    8. do you need to keep menus

Trying to read minds today, I'd say -

Start at the beginning and convert your "Secret files" to AVI, then use TMPEGenc to convert to DVD complainant MPEG 2 then TMPEGenc DVD Author to VOB's - and then you will be able to burn to disc - (assuming you’re working with a DVD-5 and not a DVD-9)

Let's put a little thought into it before you ask a question.
    and Just in case I guessed correctly what you wanted, you should have read some threads and guides BEFORE you posted your question as it has been answered in detail at least 6 times in the past week.

and NO, don't get upset because I'm trying to tell you something, we understand that kids your age haven't quite figured out how to interact (get along) with others in public. I'm attempting to impart (give) you some valuable advice.

A last piece of advice, the programs are available if you "Google" for them - the guides are at the top of the page -

Pete

PS. The words I’ve used to try to guide you, 281 words, 1 post.
    The total number of words you’ve used in 3 separate posts - 12 total

5. aldav45

aldav45 Member

scuba,
    the files were downloaded and are in windows media file format. when i click on properties it tells me they are windows media. obviously I don't know much about it or i wouldn't be in the "newbies" forum.
    How do i tell if they aren't .wmv??
    I read the posts BEFORE i posted but they didn't supply me with the relevant information as at the time I didn't have TMPGenc, but now I do, so the info on the posts was irrelevant.
    You have been EXTREMELY helpful in the past and I'm quite dissapointed at your reply as I'm not upset but did find it a little rude.
    I'm sorry but I thought that :
    how do i convert windows media files to dvd
    was a simple enough question. At 45......yes 45 !!! I must be losing some of my brain cells.
    anyway thanks for your help, but I STILL don't know how to convert the files to .avi
    don't know what processor i've got but I'm using 120Gb HD ,TMPGEnc Plus, TMPGenc author, Nero 6 and an NEC ND2500A drive. If you need any other info I'll find it out and be happy to supply it.
    Thanks again for your reply.

6. aldav45

aldav45 Member

oh, i forgot, i've also got cucusoft .avi to dvd converter, is that any good. If I could get the files into .avi then I'd be able to burn them no problem. do you think I should still use TMPGenc for the encoding or use cucusoft??
    as i say I don't know what format the files are. all I can see is that when I open the foler they are in and right click on them and go to properties they are windows media.
    sorry if I sound daft, but I don't really know how to tell the difference with file formats apart from the suffix (e.g .wmv, .avi etc)
    thanks again.
    and sorry for the shortness of the posts today I was in work and can't spend too much time on the net.
    I'd be happy to supply as much information as you guys need....
    I'll try and be a bit more comprehensive in future

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  7. aldav45

aldav45 Member

i've tried again now with TMPGEnc plus and when it converts the files it seems to create 2 different MPEG files audio and video, how do I use them with TMPGEng Author??

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aldav45,

As you may be aware we get too many requests for information from kids using 1 or 2 word posts i.e. "Help Me" or "Help Now" - avi 2 DVD is really common.

Sorry for lumping you with them -

When asked for specs, we're looking for:
    RAM, HD, Processor speed, drives -(you would be surprised at how many don't even have a burner just a DVD ROM and don't know why they can't burn discs.)

You need a program named WMA2WAV and Windows Media Encoder 9 to do the trick. First, create a WAV file with HeadAC3he and put that into the encoder. Then use WMA2WAV to make the fake-wav. Virtual Dub should now be able to mux that to AVI and you could watch this video for example with Zoom Player.

THEN, AVI to DVD compliant MPEG 2 then TMPGEnc DVD Author to your VOB's. Should you need to adjust size you could run it through DVD Shrink then burn to disc.

You might have to run through IFOEdit to pickup your IFO's if you don't have them when you "POP" out this end - :p)

Haven’t tried it so you’re on your own but should do it -

cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A WMV file is what we want - that we can treat that like an AVI -

Good thing that (WMV = Windows Media Video, WMA = Windows Media Audio are our friends )

Pete

10. aldav45

aldav45 Member

thanks scuba. you're a gent.