1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsgroups/USENET - I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by WJ99, Sep 27, 2009.

1. WJ99

WJ99 Regular member

I know this isn't stictly Xbox 360 related but it is to me.

I'm trying to set up GrabIt and getting alt.binary etc etc does not exist on this server.

I've joined to a site which includes Rus in the name. I've installed GrabIt. Now do I need a username and password to download the files? Why doesn't everyone use torrents instead as it's much simpler, easier and by the look of it, free. I've seen lots of advertisements for paid for access to the files for Newsgroups.

Can someone point me in the right direction, do I have to ask my ISP for something? What about if i'm using a laptop, I guess I can't download on the move?

I currently in the UK and using Plus.Net as my ISP

Any help is GREATLY apprieciated

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. WJ99

WJ99 Regular member

I think i've got it now. Have done a lot of reading but still don't understand why people pay for newsgroup servers instead of using free alternatives such as torrents?

3. homesick

homesick Regular member

lets just say its safer. keep reading.

4. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

There's a few reasons. Torrents constantly rely on other people to share the files, so they can be seriously slow at times, especially on public trackers. With Usenet, you will usually always max out your download speed throughout the download. You don't have to share anything with newsgroups, so there's no uploading (so it's less risky) and no ratio to maintain. Also, torrents will die as soon as there's no longer a seed/distributed copy and they'll slow down as fewer people share the files. Files on newgroups stay alive for as long as the retention period offered by your Usenet provider (416 days with Giganews for example) and the downloads will be as fast on day 415 as they are on day 1.

You need to sign up with a Usenet provider. Some ISPs over free Usenet access, but the retention (how long the files stay on the server) is usually very short. I use Giganews which gives unlimited access and 416 days retention for $25 a month, but they have cheaper packages if you're not going to be downloading a massive amount. I use newgroups for pretty much everything these days, so I'm always downloading something.

Once you have an account with a Usenet provider, fire up Grabit and right click where it says "My Grabit", then choose "Add server" and enter in the account details. You're all set up then. If you're primarily downloading Xbox 360 games, what I usually do is look for a game I want on abgx.net, then I can find what the file names are. Once I've done that I'll use a Usenet search engine like Binsearch to find the files and create an NZB file. The NZB is a bit like a .torrent file. You double click it and Grabit will fire up, and the download will begin. A better search engine for Usenet is Newzbin, as the files are properly indexed and categorised, and it allows users to leave comments, although you have to pay to use it (it's cheap though).

Hope that helps.

5. WJ99

WJ99 Regular member

Actually helps a huge amount. Not sure if I want the added expense. I'm going to see if my ISP provides access. Is there anything specific I have to ask them?

6. homesick

homesick Regular member

more like specific things you should refrain from asking..

7. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

You'll usually be able to find out on the homepage of the ISP somewhere. If you do call/email them, you'll need to ask what login/server info you need to use to get access. You might also want to ask what retention they offer. I'm with Virgin Media and they offer free access, but the retention is only 7 days, so I can't download any files that are older than that.

I had a quick Google for info on Plus.Net, and it seems they do offer free access, but according to an old post on one site, they've removed access to binaries (the actual files that you want!) due to it putting too much strain on their servers so it sounds like you might be out of luck there.

Giganews offer a free 14 day trial (limited to 10GB though) if you want to see what Usenet is all about.

8. Decodem

Decodem Regular member

What is the best program for a newzbin noob to use? Also to make sure I go this straight you download a program and then go on newzbin search up the file and then download a nzb which the program runs right? How much would it cost for say 35gb a month in Canadian from a good provider?

9. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I use Grabit, cos it's free, it's easy to use and it has all of the basic features you'll need (NZB support, auto-repairing of files, auto extraction of files). It also has a feature to automatically shut down the computer when all downloads are complete, which is handy if you download overnight. I'm not saying it's the best, but it does everything I need.

Yep. Some Usenet apps also allow you to search from within the app itself. Grabit does, but searches are limited unless you sign up for an account, which isn't free. I just use web searches - Newzbin (not free) and Binsearch (free). There's also sites such as Newzleech and NZBMatrix.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  10. guessswho

guessswho Active member

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a xbox 360 general discussion issue.

12. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

I've used giganews before, I don't have anything to compare it to but it has the best retention out of any I have seen. I would recommend it.

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member