AfterDawn: Tech news

The Pirate Bay sunk by BREIN temporarily

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Oct 2009 5:30 User comments (16)

The Pirate Bay sunk by BREIN temporarily The infamous torrent tracker The Pirate Bay was taken down today by the Dutch anti-piracy agency BREIN, although it appears the site has been available sporadically throughout the day, and is available, at least here in the U.S, as of writing.
The agency managed to block access to the site on an international scale and was proud.

"Supplying services to such a well-known illegal site is asking for trouble", added BREIN director Tim Kuik. "The Swedish owners have been criminally convicted and the site has been ruled illegal in various countries amongst which the Netherlands. In case Dutch providers keep the site up then we will appeal to them to cease and desist".

TorrentFreak is reporting that The Pirate Bay should be up and running for good now, as they have moved to the ISP CyberBunker, a nuclear war bunker in the Netherlands that can withstand a nuclear strike as well as an EMP blast. And they certainly won't cave to threats from BREIN.

“I don’t expect BREIN to do pretty much anything at this point. The last conversation we had with them was about some mp3 site they wanted to have shut down somewhere in 2001/2002. It took around 3 hours at 2am at night and the end result was that both parties agreed not to agree,”
owner Sven Kamphuis added.

Previous Next  

16 user comments

16.10.2009 17:38

Next In The News.....BREIN Declare Nuclear War On The Pirate Bay :lol:

26.10.2009 17:46

Last I heard they were hosted by init7 in switzerland. Its strange though how NForce and leaseweb refused to route traffic from TPB into europe. There are no laws saying that routing data which could or could not contain someone elses IP is illegal. So I dont exactly know what is going on, but if this is the case where governments are willing to allow entertainment companies the right to decide which data is allowed to and from where ever then theres something wrong. And these companies will use these decisions as a precedent for taking down every tracker that contains copyrighted material. Its not looking to good. I know they have a bee in their bonnet over TPB but mark my words more trackers will fall if this is upheld.

36.10.2009 19:40
swabooo
Inactive

Pirates move to… Antarctica?

Watch-movies.net, a big portalsite for illegal movies, has moved to Antarctica. At least according to the Whois records. Because in reality the site is hosted in the Netherlands by a provider called Cyberbunker.com. Cyberbunker is run by the famous Dutch hacker Sven Olaf ‘CB3ROB’ Kamphuis. CB3ROB uses fake Whois records to shield his clients.

Whois records contain information about the owner of a site, the provider, and the nameservers and DNS-servers associated with the site. The Whois registry enables people to find out who is running a site. By faking Whois records, it becomes much harder to establish who is running a certain site. Naturally, spammers, phishers, pirates and other cybercriminals prefer to use providers that are willing to hide their identities.

Faking Whois records is a violation of the rules set forth by ICANN, the organisation responsible for the operation of the Domain Name System (DNS). While providers like Cyberbunker claim that they protect the privacy of their users, the reality is that their services mainly attract cybercriminals.

Providers that don’t play by the rules are an increasing problem for the internet and a thorn in the side of the security community. Therefore, the security community applauded the recent move by ICANN to pull the accreditation of EstDomain, a provider that primarily catered to the needs of spammers and criminals.

From Google cache http://futureofcopyright.com/index.php?page=news&id=154

46.10.2009 20:15
jony218
Inactive

The pirate bay has been declared "dead" for the past 2 years. It's demise has been greatly exaggerated. Like the monster in a "r" movie it refuses to die a dignified death. I suspect the pirate bay will outlive the internet.

56.10.2009 21:06

Originally posted by jony218:
The pirate bay has been declared "dead" for the past 2 years. It's demise has been greatly exaggerated. Like the monster in a "r" movie it refuses to die a dignified death. I suspect the pirate bay will outlive the internet.

I'm looking forward to Pirate Bay X. Where, after being cryogenically frozen by an agent of the RIAA, it lives on hundreds of years later having hundreds more dramatic "Deaths".
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Oct 2009 @ 9:11

66.10.2009 22:32

"The ISP CyberBunker, a nuclear war bunker in the Netherlands that can withstand a nuclear strike as well as an EMP blast"

It might outlast humanity!

78.10.2009 08:03

WIKI CyberBunker

With Backup Generators

Which means the weakest link is the Internet FEED.. lol SNIP

88.10.2009 08:50

TPB is still accessable here in the UK

98.10.2009 10:43
infamies1
Inactive

If all you tow bid philosophers just for a moment stop your prognostic statements and let wall enough alone it wood be batter than all you sad for most of you are probable the leeches that snick in grab what you can and rune for the hills most of you don’t have the conman sans to keep your opinions out of the public forum will those of as do you dirty work quietly and efficiently sow kip you traps shot no one cares what you think

108.10.2009 10:55
infamies1
Inactive

If all you tow bid philosophers just for a moment stop your prognostic statements and let wall enough alone it wood be batter than all you sad for most of you are probable the leeches that sneak in grab what you can and rune for the hills most of you don’t have the conman sans to keep your opinions out of the public forum will those of as do you dirty work quietly and efficiently sow kip you traps shut no one cares what you think

118.10.2009 13:54
davidrose
Inactive

Quote:
"The ISP CyberBunker, a nuclear war bunker in the Netherlands that can withstand a nuclear strike as well as an EMP blast"

It might outlast humanity!
Need I say more.. Noooo <--except 4 this and also ^ that!!!

129.10.2009 16:01

A CyberBunker that can withstand nuclear attacks

well i want one too

all i got is a safe with cords running out the back

1310.10.2009 04:42

Originally posted by infamies1:
If all you tow bid philosophers just for a moment stop your prognostic statements and let wall enough alone it wood be batter than all you sad for most of you are probable the leeches that sneak in grab what you can and rune for the hills most of you don’t have the conman sans to keep your opinions out of the public forum will those of as do you dirty work quietly and efficiently sow kip you traps shut no one cares what you think
Maybe when you learn to type proper english... maybe you should just keep it to yourself until you can !!

1411.10.2009 16:23

You know cyberbunker is not so far from where I live. Its located in a place called kloetinge (district Goes) and thats where there is an addiction clinic. I wonder if TPB team have been drinking to much rum:P and are there to dry out.Lol

1511.10.2009 23:06
gustavojr
Inactive

I'm ready to share on the next available site,otherwise we count with limewire...

1621.10.2009 04:31

Quote:
Originally posted by infamies1:
Maybe when you learn to type proper english... maybe you should just keep it to yourself until you can !!
Yea lol...Now, he's OWNED!
I bow to you...having the ability to decipher even one crumb of this pointless babble...well, it's damn amazing.
I love when ppl try to be smart asses or 'oh wise ones' and have no basic education.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive