1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing from miniDV tape is insanely huge file

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by aka009, Oct 7, 2009.

1. aka009

aka009 Member

I've captured two minDV tapes so far with 28 more to go of our home movies from the last 10yrs or so.

However i'm obviously doing something wrong for them to be so large. A 90minute tape is taking up 106gb of space on my computer.

I'm on Vista Ultimate x64 using a Sony DCR-HC21.

I used Nero Vision to capture and I chose the capturing template AVI, which below shows the video and audio compressor as: No Compression.

Should I be choosing DV Type-2 instead? It gives option for Type 1 too, but I wanted to capture in the best quality onto hard drive first and work with minor editing before compressing them into something smaller. Minor editing as in only cutting and splicing.

Right now i'm trying to find another program to capture the tapes to see if they make such a large file too. I don't plan to use Nero except for burning discs. Just in the learning phase at the moment and all I had.

Any help is very much appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. aka009

aka009 Member

Okay, sounds like from what i've read so far that I should choose type 2.

I did transfer using WinDV type 2 this time and it transferred the file in the expected size around 20gb for 90 minutes.

I guess if i was going to use Nero Vision I should of chose DV Type-2 instead of their AVI: No Compression

I am really surprised out how much bigger AVI No Compression makes the file or container so large.