1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting SVCD to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Shadey216, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Shadey216

Shadey216 Member

Hey guys. I was wondering what method you guys use to convert SVCD to DVD. I've done some googling about it but come up with so many different methods. What do you guys think is the BEST way to do it?

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

There are two ways.

1) Fast and easy way. Low compatibility though. Since SVCD is already MPEG2, all you need to do is re-sample the audio. Just demux the audio, re-sample to 48KHz, but don't remux. Use a DVD Authoring proggy that allows you to do stuff like this (such as DVD-Lab) and you're good to go. Problem is, not every stand-alone is able to play SVCD-encoded DVD's.

2) Time consuming but high compatibility way. Just re-encode the video to DVD specs.

3. Shadey216

Shadey216 Member

I think i will go with the Time consuming method to ensure compatibility. Sorry I am pretty new to this. When you say re-encode the video, all i need to encode is the AVSEQ01.MPG file? Can anyone point me to a guide perhaps?

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Yes. Lots of guides on this site or try doom9.org or dvdrhelp.com.

Just use a dedicated encoder like TMPG, MainConcept, CCE, etc.

5. Shadey216

Shadey216 Member

Ok reading from 2 guides here: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=othertodvd&name=vcdtodvd and here: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=othertodvd&name=tmpegencvcdtodvd I thik i've gatherd what i need to do:

De-multiplex the file, re-sample the audio to 48KHz, open TMPGEnc and use the new audio file as the audio in the wizard. And start encoding. 1 problem i had at the end though when i tried to have TMPG 'Output video and audio as individual elementary streams' and i said start, TMPGEnc said it was unable to create these files and canceled the encoding. I'm able to create a single .MPG file, but i use IFOEdit to author, and it needs single streams. So i don't know if i'm missing a step here or something, i know i'm close hehe.

6. whassup

whassup Regular member

Yes, but it still probably won't work in TMPG since it's still AC3 coded.

I'd use an encoder like MainConcept or ProCoder.

Or, after you've demuxed the file, choose to encode the audio stream only. Make sure in "Environmental Settings" - "Audio Engine", you've selected external encoders like "toolame" for encoding to MP2 and "ssrc" for re-sampling. Both of these programs are freeware (I believe) and can be easily found through a search on the net.