AfterDawn: Tech news

Three million Swedes download 'illegally,' says IFPI

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 Oct 2009 2:50 User comments (13)

Three million Swedes download 'illegally,' says IFPI According to a new report from the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry), about 3 million Swedes download unauthorized music, games and movies, about one third of the entire Swedish population.
Some believe the numbers are actually skewed, however, to the low side.

“I have about 250 students per year of whom hardly any have not file shared,” says Kristoffer Schollin, a scientist with a doctorate in intellectual property law. “It’s at 100 percent.”

Internet speeds in Sweden are ranked third highest in the world, on average, at about 12.8 Mbps. The US averages around 5.1 Mbps.

Despite the seemingly high number, the IFPI says the numbers are in a downtrend, following government intervention.

"Six out of 10 (users of file sharing sites) have stopped completely, or at least significantly lowered their use of illegal file sharing after the new legislation,"
IFPI Sweden chairman Ludvig Werner added.

The report was based on a study of "music consumption habits" of 1,006 Swedes aged 15 to 74.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

113.10.2009 16:08

hmm as much as im "pro-piracy" i wonder why so many swedes download illegally..if im not mistaken sweden is a country with a very high quality of life standard..not many out of work or cant afford digital downloads (whos buys mp3 cds these days)..id figure some must still be tech savvy but i dunno..i expected less. i may just be showing my awesome naivity with this post

213.10.2009 16:23

I wonder how many fileshare within the US, in just one day.

313.10.2009 17:27

Im just wondering when IFPI will change there name.

413.10.2009 21:32

Rather than taking the so called fact/statistic at face value, it is better to explain how one arrived at the so called 3 million Swedes number (How do one get that number from 1006 people). Otherwise, it's not believable and only supports the propaganda that the IFPI is outputting.

The people of the world have the power to bring down their corrupt unjust governments and corporations by boycotting tangible media and software and downloading it for free.

514.10.2009 01:40

swedes? well how much more if you'll gonna sum up the total all over the world. specially in china wherein majority of net users were came from china.

614.10.2009 01:59
obla
Inactive

No, really???!! Why is this so suddenly shocking? As if millions of people don't download illegally globally every day. What the hell?

715.10.2009 17:49

i dont blame them. they are the smart ones! why be ripped off by music and film companies when you can have it for free.

815.10.2009 20:53

agree... we must be practical..

917.10.2009 21:21

Originally posted by slickwill:
Rather than taking the so called fact/statistic at face value, it is better to explain how one arrived at the so called 3 million Swedes number (How do one get that number from 1006 people). Otherwise, it's not believable and only supports the propaganda that the IFPI is outputting.

The people of the world have the power to bring down their corrupt unjust governments and corporations by boycotting tangible media and software and downloading it for free.
It's called "extrapolation" and is used in every poll ever taken in history.

Damn...that's some good speeds they're getting over there!

1018.10.2009 02:27

well if they only studied 1006 swedes it impossible to get a number like 3million they must of worked out the % and multiplied it.i was reading todays newspaper and it turns out 14% of australians download movies illegally and 18% have thought about it.i dont know how many australians there are so it might turn out 14%=3million dont really know.is there a legal way to download movies or games???????

1118.10.2009 03:32

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
well if they only studied 1006 swedes it impossible to get a number like 3million they must of worked out the % and multiplied it.i was reading todays newspaper and it turns out 14% of australians download movies illegally and 18% have thought about it.i dont know how many australians there are so it might turn out 14%=3million dont really know.is there a legal way to download movies or games???????
yes...its called buying it

1219.10.2009 20:56

^^yup definitely true..but who the hell want to waste their money if you can download it those stuff for for free..

1321.10.2009 15:05

this is what i do not get with people. the economic climate is bad enough but when you go to the shop and see the prices of a plastic disc with a bit of data on it, it makes you think how silly they are to go and buy it.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive