1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me find a program that I can use to batch encode flac or mp3 files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Sixxer, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Sixxer

Sixxer Guest

I am trying to convert some flacs to mp3s and also lower the bitrate of some mp3s so I can fit them in an mp3 player with few memory space.

I found a program in download.com named "Flac to mp3" that does everything I want it to do, except that, because I only have the free trial version, I can't batch process the files, only do them one at a time. That's too time consuming.

Can someone recommend me a program that will help me do what I want to do?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, add all the encoders you think you will need before your 30 days runs out. I do not think you can add any unless you pay. That app is near fool proof. You can highlight and convert all the files in a folder. I have converted an ungodly amount of files with never a problem. I suggest using helix (guess) encoder if you have a dual core computer. I can be up to 50x faster than Lame.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

dBPowerAMP actually is free. the download comes with other features which no one really needs and those expire after 30 days. but the basic encoder app is still free.

5. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I agree with others regarding DBPA...You can also do it with foobar2k..
    Just another free alternative..

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Foobar is a great tool and a wonderful product. I would never use foobar to transcode because the encoders, etc are not encapsulated. You can get version control problems. We get several complaints every year about that exact problem with foobar. Those are the ones the post new queries. We get monthly complaints about other apps like WMP has the most complaints. Foobar users are much smarter than WMP users.

You might not catch the problem until much later when you are listening carefully to something and hear some artifact. Then it is a huge deal to discover which is the bad apple and when did it occure then what files are suspect. Then re-do all the suspect music.

That is why I stressed fool proof and easy. It is free. I see it as a no brainer!

7. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

The Lame encoder which both DBPA and f2k use, does improve for the most part, with every new version...You can point to whichever lame.exe version of one's choice with f2k..
    To each their own...

8. Sixxer

Sixxer Guest

dbpoweramp was good while it lasted.

Right now I can't use it even after I downloaded the mp3/flac codecs because it says the "reference" has expired. I went to their site and the reference is $36

Does anyone know a free alternative?

9. Mez

Mez Active member

You should have followed my advice and downloaded all the encoders right away. You had 30 days to do so. Once installed you could use it forever. You just can't add any new encoders. Your other options are not nearly as easy to use but will get the job done.

I guess foobar is what I would recommend.

Back to the converter, are you trying to open the batch converter or are you right clicking in file explorer? The batch converter will not work but the right click should still work.