1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels and skipping (?)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ronjr1973, Apr 17, 2004.

1. ronjr1973

ronjr1973 Member

Hello, I have recently read some input that talks about a skipping prob. with dvds w/labels. So I'm now taking a few off of some that I've had problems with and see if it fixes the problem. Anyone ever hear of this?

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I've never had any problems with mine. I use the thin labels made by CD Stomper.

cheezzzz

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if the label is not on perfect, the balance is off on the disc which can cause skipping.

4. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i got memorex's neto labeling system, its a pack of lables that comes with a plastic centering aplicator and software to make lables. Its realy easy to use, and i have never had a problem, but like sly said, if they are not on perfectly they will make the disc spin odly and skip- you should an applicator

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its the general opinion of the forum members that labels WILL cause playback problems. I myself can use them on my Sony stand alone player. My daughters Toshiba can't play copied dvds with labels. So its trial and error. Most players will see skipping and freeze up with labels. All you can do is try.

Jerry

6. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i made a dvd for my friends band and printed lables on them- we sold like 60 or so and no one complained about them not working properly- general opinion isnt always right

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I [bold]never[/bold] apply labels/stickers...

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

pcshateme, You sold 60 dvds that worked. If you do a search on this topic, you will find several hundreds of problems that were caused by labels. So I guess you are right and the rest are wrong. I wasn't looking for an argument, just stating facts.

Jerry

9. michigan

michigan Guest

DVD markers on the disc, with a nice cover in the case and no skipping because of balance. I quit using lables way back when on CD's because of problems with the lables catching and sometimes if they were offf center you could hear them in the drive moving around. I believe that a DVD spins a lot faster then a CD (I might be wrong on this please feel free to flog me if I am) and that wobble scares the crap out of me in a drive spining at up to 52X

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

wahay the page finally loaded!

Ok, LABELS = POTENTIAL HASSSLES!!!

I dont use them either!

11. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I used to have a few problems with labels on dvds but following advice from someone at afterdawn i bought a shiny new Canon printer with cd printing, only use Ritek printable discs looks cool and plays in every dvd
    player i have tried

12. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

i started using labels for my DVDz but too many errors. 2 Options either have a fancy non working properly DVD or a plain old working 1.
    I would rather the working :D

Regards
    CoZZa

13. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

That's the best way , mentioned by doofy there (imho )

CD will spin much faster...

14. michigan

michigan Guest

dough, yea that makes sense a cd spins at 52x that would be cruising for a DVD