1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building PC with Radeon HD5850 Directx 11 support...help wanted

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by narwal, Nov 21, 2009.

1. narwal

narwal Member

Hi Friends

I was planning to assemble a new PC
    The configuration i was thinking was

Intel DP55KG MoBo
    Core i5 750 processor
    3X2 GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvdidia Geforce graphics card 275 (896 MB)

while searching Net..i found DirectX 11 unveiling ..and ATI's Radeon HD5850 is DirectX 11 ready

Nvidia doesnt have Dx11 ready Card

Now i am planning to buy HD5850 as soon as it comes to India

I just want to know..as i am not very good at tech knowledge..

1. Do i have to buy a Directx 11 ready mobo..or it doensnt matter...or P55 chipset is already DirectX11 ready

2. Corei5 750 processor is fine if i am going for directx11 ?

I am not aware if MOBO and Processor are independent of DirectX 11 or not..

So pls tell me about it...

Thanks in advance

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no such thing as a DirectX11 ready motherboard, all you need to enjoy DirectX11 is a DirectX11 graphcs card (like the HD5850) and Windows 7.
    The Core i5 750 is a good CPU, but I would recommend a Gigabyte P55 board over the Intel one.

3. narwal

narwal Member

R u totally sure about this ...no?

and the MoBo u said.. is anyone of this ok?
    GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P
    GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD5
    GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD6

how about...
    BIOSTAR TPOWER i55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
    which to buy..

my experience with asus is not good
    so no asus included

by the way wht is wrong with intel mobo i mentioned?

and ya can someone second on the fact that there aint such thing as directx 11 ready mobo

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those are all relatively high grade boards, you don't really need anything better than the standard P55-UD4 or the Biostar TP55 (not T-Power) unless you're going for a very advanced system and a big overclock.
    I agree on not listing Asus boards, they're a waste of time and money.
    Intel boards are good quality but featureless and very primitive by comparison.

Seriously, trust me, Motherboards and CPUs have nothing to do with DirectX11. If you don't believe me, just google it.

5. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I second the recommendation of a GA P55-UDx motherboard. My last build was based on a UD5 and it was an excellent platform for my i7-860 system.

My previous build used an Intel P45 motherboard and, while the quality of the board was excellent, the BIOS and other software support was lacking.

Finally, I will also confirm Sam's statement that DirectX11 is independent of motherboard or CPU. DirectX11 is dependent on Windows 7, but not the hardware platform.

Dick

6. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

You only need 2x2 GB on the RAM.

I agree with everything thats been said so far. The only thing I can add is last time I checked, the Intel mobos were a bit over priced.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah yes, didn't spot that. Core i5s can only use 2x2GB or 4x2GB.

8. narwal

narwal Member

Thanks a lot guys

Ok.. now i m thinking of buying Gigabyte UD5/UD6 mobo
    I still think i should go with higher priced version of Gigabyte MoBo..i m one of those who think high prices means quality is good..
    and
    Graphics card is radeon HD 5850

Thanks again Guys

9. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Well thats some what true, but not completely true. It just depends on what you need. If you need something capable of the highest OC you can get, then of course your going to spend more money, but as its been documented the Intel mobos, for example, arent bad mobos, but there rather basic and when you look at the price compared to other mobos in the same class with more features, thats one example.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not just 'somewhat true' it's almost completely baseless. The quality of Gigabyte motherboards is good across the board, be it $50 or $300. The quality of ECS and Asus boards is bad across the board. Same with graphics cards, some good partner brands are cheap (XFX for example) while others can be not so good, but just because you may buy a $40 graphics card won't mean it's bad quality, only slow.
    With Power Supplies, your statement is often true.

The UD5 board is completely unnecessary really. The UD3R board is every bit as good quality. Check what features the different versions have. If the UD5 adds nothing you will use, then the UD3R it is.

11. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I agree. I didn't chose a UD5 because it was necessarily "better" than other GB boards. I looked at the UD3R and others before deciding and a lot of my decision was based on wanting extra PCI slots in addition to two double-wide PCI-E cards. Lay out your slot requirements (including whether you are going to need side-mounted SATA connectors because of a particularly long/wide card in your secondary PCI-E slot) and then pick a board that matches those requirements. You are going to be spending enough money, it should at least meet all of your needs without wasting any of that money.

Dick

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  12. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Well it was a very generalized statement. I was actually thinking of, for example, a camary and a lexus as just one example, but your right the gb mobos are great. I wasnt saying that but chances are your not going to be setting records on the cheapo gb mobo.