1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IOMagic 8x DVDRW IDE1008 Drive Lags Big Time

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by afrin, Apr 19, 2004.

1. afrin

afrin Member

I have an 8x IOMagic DVDRW IDE1008 drive that I purchased from CompUSA about three weeks ago. It works great 90% of the time, but then the other ten percent it slows down to like <0.1x write speed. I've tried using several different programs to write CDs and each one does the same thing.

I found a solution online. Someone told me to uninstall my IDE controller from windows, which always temporarily fixes the problem! But then the problem always reoccurs...

The Nero InfoTool says that the drive is running firmware version 0054. The DVDRW IDE1008 drive is connected to my secondary IDE channel as a slave.

What can I do to permanently fix the problem?

System Specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 1250 MHz / 100 MHz Bus Speed
    ASUSTeK A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe Motherboard
    GeForce 3 TI 200 Video
    512 MB ram

2. itedinad

itedinad Member

I have the same drive, same firmware version, and would like to know the same thing. Perhaps a firmware upgrade would help?

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

HI guys, first put your burner drive on the second IDE as MASTER. Then go into device manager and make sure your IDE settings are all set to DMA if available. This sometimes reverts back to PIO which will slow everything down. Firmware update might help if one is available. Hacked firmware is usually better than OEM but will void any remaining warranty. So do that only after the warranty runs out.

Jerry

4. itedinad

itedinad Member

Mike,

If you haven't done it yet, update your firmware... 0054 is old! Go to www.drvupdate.com, download LiveUpdate v1.01. It will get you the latest version. I've been burning like made past couple days, no probs yet.

5. Ozark

Ozark Guest

Go to Micro Advantage and get a update to 0258 and see if that will help it works on all 1008's

6. itedinad

itedinad Member

latest is 0358 not 0258

7. dwood

dwood Member

I also had this prob with this drive but i have a 557 update on it but live update shows as 458?
    someone help me here this drive locks my machine even in winxp when it takes too long to recognise a disk

8. ccochran

ccochran Member

9. itedinad

itedinad Member

uhhh, like hello, look a few posts up. This update program was already posted.

10. ccochran

ccochran Member

Yes, I see that now. Sorry for the redundancy. This drive is also sold by Fry's as their lost leader item branded as an Emprex 8X (I bought mine for $69 USD).

11. itedinad

itedinad Member

Got mine 4 months ago as an IOMagic at Office Depot for $33 after coupon, pricematch, and mail in rabates. Great drive for the price.

12. vf-142

vf-142 Member

Great info
    i was wondering if there is anyway to OC the DVDR so it will burn dual layer, i know it is possible with the liteon 832s and possibly the 812s.