AfterDawn: Tech news

Six TV makers charged with creating CRT cartel

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 30 Nov 2009 10:42 User comments (8)

Six TV makers charged with creating CRT cartel The European Commission (EC) has accused six TV and monitor companies of running a cartel in the cathode-ray tube (CRT) market, charging the companies after a two-year long investigation.
The companies in question are Philips, LG Electronics, Chunghwa Picture Tubes, Matsushita, Samsung and Toshiba.

The complaint is that the manufacturers colluded in an effort to keep CRT screen prices artificially high in the midst of falling demand. CRT TVs and monitors have almost completely left the market, at least in western Europe, and the Japanese and North American markets, replaced by thinner LCD sets.

However, the CRT sets are "still widely used in Southern and Eastern Europe, especially for TVs," as well as "still made for a couple of emerging markets," says EC spokesperson Jonathan Todd, via CW.

If found guilty, the companies could face giant fines in Europe (up to 10 percent of global annual revenue) and those involved could face criminal trials in the United States alongside fines.

"Action is necessary in order to punish the companies involved for past cartel abuse and to dissuade future cartel activity," Todd added.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

130.11.2009 11:27

Well what else would one expect the companies to do in a monetary driven world. There must have been tons of CRT inventory that wasn't getting sold b/c people were buying more LCD type displays/tv's, so they had to do something about the unsold merchandise.

230.11.2009 11:58

Raising the price on CRTs to drive LCD sales. is this not normal business tactics, if its not then there are about 50 more that need to be on that list

31.12.2009 00:17

They should be charged with crimes just for selling those energy waisting, lead-filled boxes. If the goal of the higher prices is to kill off this obsilite crap, then more power to them.

41.12.2009 00:25

Originally posted by KillerBug:
They should be charged with crimes just for selling those energy waisting, lead-filled boxes. If the goal of the higher prices is to kill off this obsilite crap, then more power to them.
How dare you i happen to like my toasty nay Crispy CRT Monitor Blacker Blacks Brighter colors and better refresh rates.. oh wait that's right LCD is like an expensive colored Etch A Sketch, don't shake to hard you'll wash out all that color.

51.12.2009 00:43

Quote:
How dare you i happen to like my toasty nay Crispy CRT Monitor Blacker Blacks Brighter colors and better refresh rates.. oh wait that's right LCD is like an expensive colored Etch A Sketch, don't shake to hard you'll wash out all that color.
I dunno for twice the price you can get a great LCD TV thats a few inches larger and as good with contrast and color....

62.12.2009 00:08

Quote:
I know there are some crummy LCDs that don't have good colors, but this is not the standard. The blacks on my cheap Acer LCD screens are far better than the blacks on my old LG Tube monitor, the colors are more accurate, and the picture is more "solid"...if I look at a CRT TV, I can see the interlacing...not so with a LCD. The best video connections are all digital...if I plug my LCD in by the analog port, the black is no longer black, so why would you want an analog screen?

72.12.2009 03:09

Quote:
Quote:
I know there are some crummy LCDs that don't have good colors, but this is not the standard. The blacks on my cheap Acer LCD screens are far better than the blacks on my old LG Tube monitor, the colors are more accurate, and the picture is more "solid"...if I look at a CRT TV, I can see the interlacing...not so with a LCD. The best video connections are all digital...if I plug my LCD in by the analog port, the black is no longer black, so why would you want an analog screen?
for the same reason people still want LP's. finding a cheap Well made PC LCD screen is like finding a .50 BMG round in the sporting goods section, why would you hunt with a anti materiel rifle is beyond me.

CRTs are my personnel preference, i have had bad luck with LCDs. i may try OLED. whenever they become popular

82.12.2009 05:26

Originally posted by DXR88:
why would you hunt with a anti materiel rifle is beyond me.
A .50 is a great comfort in bear country...even if you are not hunting. However, if you want to drop a dear from a mile away, competition grade .50 BMG rounds are a good choice...the longest confirmed kill in combat history was made with a McMillan Tac-50...the rabits won't have a chance!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive