AfterDawn: Tech news

Nokia sues LCD, CRT display makers over price-fixing

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 01 Dec 2009 2:37 User comments (9)

Nokia sues LCD, CRT display makers over price-fixing

Nokia has filed lawsuits this week against major CRT and LCD makers, alleging price fixing.
The companies, or their subsidiaries, named in the suits are AU Optronics, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Seiko Epson, Sharp and Toshiba.

"The investigations are into alleged cartel activities, effectively price fixing, in the supply of both CRTs (cathode ray tubes) and LCDs (liquid crystal display) — components that we have bought in significant volumes over a number of years. Had we not been overcharged for them our profitability would have been higher," says Nokia spokesman Mark Durrant.

Durrant did not disclose how much Nokia was seeking in monetary damages, but did say they were "not insignificant."

Previous Next  

9 user comments

11.12.2009 17:38
manrod
Inactive

I doubt they'll get much back. Obviously buying in bulk but i'm interested to see how this turns out.

21.12.2009 18:01

I wish others would join in get the companies that were bilked and the trade commissions after the the LCD makers to drop LCD prices on anything more than say 3 years old to 13$ an inch (390 for 30 inches) for new stuff 20ish is not to bad for 36+ and 13$ an inch for anything smaller!

32.12.2009 02:03

I wish they would go after those who are realy price fixing...Microsoft & Apple.

42.12.2009 03:09

if you make a product and you sell it i don't see whats wrong with setting a fixed price even if its higher than market value.if a company wants crt and LCD commonents they have to pay for them and if companies want to charge a high price thats their problem.I'm sure nokia isnt broke.

52.12.2009 03:42

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
if you make a product and you sell it i don't see whats wrong with setting a fixed price even if its higher than market value.if a company wants crt and LCD commonents they have to pay for them and if companies want to charge a high price thats their problem.I'm sure nokia isnt broke.
It is fine to sell something for more than it is worth. The problem comes when you do one of the following:
1.) Destroy all (or at least most) competition, then charge $300 or more for a single license. This is called a monopoly, and Microsoft is clearly guilty of this many times...the only reason they are still selling software is because US Supreme Court Judges are easily bribed.
2.) Meet with your competitors to set a "fixed price" on equipment. This does not seem too bad, but it leads to poor service, high prices, and stagnation of technological progress. Not only that, but such cartels will usualy work to keep new competition out; charging too much when they can, then selling at a loss to crush newcomers, then going back to selling at high prices once the competition is gone. This is why it is illigal.

64.12.2009 08:50

Quote:
It is fine to sell something for more than it is worth. The problem comes when you do one of the following:
1.) Destroy all (or at least most) competition, then charge $300 or more for a single license. This is called a monopoly, and Microsoft is clearly guilty of this many times...the only reason they are still selling software is because US Supreme Court Judges are easily bribed.
2.) Meet with your competitors to set a "fixed price" on equipment. This does not seem too bad, but it leads to poor service, high prices, and stagnation of technological progress. Not only that, but such cartels will usualy work to keep new competition out; charging too much when they can, then selling at a loss to crush newcomers, then going back to selling at high prices once the competition is gone. This is why it is illigal.
Wow it took you long too bring the MS/Apple debate into it. Nothing to do with either company. The fact is it isn't about MS at all and your comment refers to them what a waste of space, go away troll!

74.12.2009 11:30

Quote:
Quote:
Wow it took you long too bring the MS/Apple debate into it. Nothing to do with either company. The fact is it isn't about MS at all and your comment refers to them what a waste of space, go away troll!
WTF? His comment was more deep and worthwhile than your low Q trollish whinnying.... no need to be niffed at him since what he said went over your head.... sshheesshhhh what is it with people and good info these days they act like they want to remain stupid and get pissed when things get smart.....

85.12.2009 01:34

Quote:
WTF? His comment was more deep and worthwhile than your low Q trollish whinnying.... no need to be niffed at him since what he said went over your head.... sshheesshhhh what is it with people and good info these days they act like they want to remain stupid and get pissed when things get smart.....
No actually I thought the rest of the comment was reasonably intelligent but rendered pointless by the fact that he'd slagged MS off for no reason at all. At no point was I trolling, nothing went over my head at all. My whole comment remains valid as the fact remains MS was brought into the argument at a poor attempt to prove a point, when in actual fact all it came out as, was a sly dig for no reason.

You don't know me at all, what gives you the right to make the assumption I'm not intelligent enough to understand his comment? And the mere fact you slagged me off in your post only shows you as a complete hypocrite. Think about what you post you might not look as stupid next time.

95.12.2009 09:07

Quote:
Quote:
No actually I thought the rest of the comment was reasonably intelligent but rendered pointless by the fact that he'd slagged MS off for no reason at all. At no point was I trolling, nothing went over my head at all. My whole comment remains valid as the fact remains MS was brought into the argument at a poor attempt to prove a point, when in actual fact all it came out as, was a sly dig for no reason.

You don't know me at all, what gives you the right to make the assumption I'm not intelligent enough to understand his comment? And the mere fact you slagged me off in your post only shows you as a complete hypocrite. Think about what you post you might not look as stupid next time.
Sorry but whinage no matter how grammatically correct is not "better" than a semi deep comparative rant...I should know I do both all the time :P

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive