1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can copy, but can I edit?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rick3, Apr 28, 2004.

1. rick3

rick3 Member

I am able to use DVD-Shrink to backup a DVD.

But I would like to be able to take an R-rated movie and make a "family" version by cutting a few scenes or bleeping a few words.

I have Adobe Premiere, which I have used quite a bit on my own video work, so the editing part is no problem.

Can I somehow convert the files from DVD-Shrink into AVI files that I can edit?

Thanks,
    Rick.

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

I believe you can drag .vob files right into Premiere?

3. daba

daba Guest

Of course you can demux a VOB file into elementary MPEG streams and then convert them into AVI for editing. Or you can edit the MPEG file right into an MPEG-capable editor such as Adobe's Premiere, MainConcept's EVE or NeroVision Express.

Whatever editor you use, it will convert the file to MPEG after editing. As MPEG is a lossy compression, you will lose some quality due to this second encoding.

I don't know exactly how to convert from VOB to AVI. Usually I do it the other way around :)

Cheers,

Daba

4. rick3

rick3 Member

So it looks like I will be losing some quality due to the compression of DVD-Shrink, and then losing more quality via editing... Ouch.

What is the mechanism for "Demuxing" a video?

Thanks,
    Rick.

5. daba

daba Guest

To minimize quality loss, you should rip the DVD (without compressing) then edit and then run Shrink on the edited files.

Maybe IfoEdit or VobEdit can help you to demux a VOB file.

There is another way: the "Set start/end frame" feature of Shrink. It's very easy to extract a part of a movie. I never tried to extract [bold]several[/bold] parts.

Just give it a try: use "Set start/end frame" several times on the same movie, selecting each time a part you want to [bold]keep[/bold]. Then backup the movie and check whether Shrink has skipped the parts you didn't select.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2004
  6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

rick double posting is a no no!!http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/82719
    please read forum rules

7. daba

daba Guest

Hi rick,

I tried: it doesn't work. You cannot select several parts of the same movie with DVD Shrink. But you can add the same movie several times in re-authoring mode. And this will serve your purpose.

Imagine you want to cut 2 scenes out of the movie. This means you want to keep 3 parts:
    1) before the first scene
    2) between the first scene and the second scene
    3) after the second scene

Run Shrink in re-authoring mode and drag the movie onto the left pane 3 times. In the first copy of the movie, select the first part. In the second copy of the movie, select the second part, and so on. Finally click on "Backup".

The only problem is that you'll get 3 titles on the disc. They'll play sequentially but there will be a brief pause between them. You need to join them if you want them to play smoothly as a single movie. Dvd2one can join titles. And I bet IfoEdit or VobEdit (free) can do so as well (but maybe not as easily as Dvd2one).

All in all, it's quite an easy way to edit movies. And it saves image quality (you only lose quality due to the compression, not due to the editing).

Also have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/82905

Cheers,

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2004
  8. rick3

rick3 Member

daba, et al...

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate it.

Rick.