1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to play directly cue/bin file with the VLC

Discussion in 'Audio' started by email_to, Jan 16, 2010.

1. email_to

email_to Member

I have some audio files downloaded from internet to my harddisk. They are in cue/bin format. I have downloaded and run the VLC (portable vresion 1.03) and it could not recongise the cue files and hence play audio files.

Please help to gudie me how to play such audio files directly.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Your options are limited, not many players use cue files. Foobar is the only player I can think of that will allow you to play tracks from a multitrack file I am sure there are more but I don't go that route. Foobar2000 is a GREAT starting point for you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. jinxmb

jinxmb Member

4. Mez

Mez Active member

jinxmb, that is what I normally do but I just answered the question. You would be surprised how many persons prefer to keep the album as one file.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I have no problems playing cue files with VLC, or KMPlayer... Might wanna ditch the portable, load the full version.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

cyprusrom, you are both smart and well spoken. Why don't you just cut them up. I confess I chop them up because I am lazy. Sometimes I do keep both the album and the tracks if I might want to hear the album as a whole on an mp3 player. I also listen to most of my music on an mp3 player so I don't bother the rest of the family. I am trying to more understand the less lazy persons.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am not an audiophile and all that. I'm more into video, the only mp3 player that I have is my old W10i. I don't do much with cue files, but some albums that I acquired came that way, and didn't have a problem playing with VLC. I do plan on cutting them up, or at least insert some track markers before I load it on my player.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

That makes perfect sense to me.

It also occurred to me that if you use your computer as a major listening source that would alter a great deal of behavior. I might listen to tightly compressed lossless with cue files because that would be easy and the best way to keep music.

How do you put in markers? I never heard of such a thing.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, not inserting the marker in the cue. Like I said, not really a hidef audio guy, so I just make everything into an mp3 before I put it on my player, or whatever.

10. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I also don't have any issues/problems playing properly created CUE files, with VLC(full), foobar2k or J-River(JukeBox)..If I want to split the lossless or lossy tracks, I use f2k and convert/transcode to whatever lossy or lossless format I choose.....
    Works a treat!..