1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully this will become a fairly active thread! Feel free to discuss tips & techniques as well as "war stories" :)

My current attempt:
    XP2500 --> XP3200
    DDR333 --> DDR400
    Volcano12 + Silentboost
    ~20 more fans all over the place
    Temperature jump was roughly 15°C after the OC, 20°C with streneous activity.

I'm gonna attatch a Volcano7+ fan (70x70x30) to "feed" the Volcano12 ... did some preliminary testing and I can actually keep the OC + run heavy apps and keep the temperature as if it was XP2500 light usage. :)

Imran Khan likes this.
  2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

This is my 9 mobo in the last 4 years. None of which have died, just looking for the bigger badder system. I think i've had every amd cpu from the 1700 to the 2600. Also none of which died, just upgraded.

My current setup:
    DFI Lanpart Ultra B
    XP-M 2500 -->2.25ghz FSB is 225
    512 OCZ EL PC4200 running at 225 (I know severly underclocked)
    Radeon 9500Pro flashed to 9700pro 400 GPU 350 RAM
    9500Pro stock speeds 275 GPU 275 RAM
    The cpu is cooled by a 80mm tornando on an ALX-800
    Various case fans inside but not as many as praetor
    And the case is powered by an Enermax 460W PSU
    I had the system higher but ran to hot for my tastes. The cpu in this usually peaks at 100 F. I did have my system up to a 260 bus at one time but the chipset didn't like being given 1.9V. So the really highest stable system i have had was 10X255, but good reasons i don't leave it that high.

3. Praetor

How exactly do you have 350MB of video ram? :)

4. bird1234

bird1234 Member

It's not 350MB of Ram, it's how fast the ram is. You know 350 X 2 = 700mhz. Just in case you couldn't do the math. :)

5. Praetor

LOL Silly me :p

6. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Praetor which xp2500 do you have? When you getting faster ram for more overclocking? One tip when you do, don't get the ram that i have. It's not worth it. How about your video card, what have you done to that? Sure its a geforce, but it can be clocked higher.

7. Praetor

1. I have the standard Barton 2500
    2. For this system im running the PC2700 at PC3200 with a couple trimmed timings
    3. My competition tower runs with Corsair ram -- ive never been a fan of OCZ (even though they did come out with the DDR600 :p)
    4. No i havnt OCd the GPU cuz the fan is a tad loose and it rattles at random as it is. I dont really care to run it faster until i upgrade to the 6800 so ill live with a stock Ti46 for now.

8. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Ah an nvidia fan. I use to be one of those, until i found better performance and more overclocking room on the Radeon series. I'd like to go after the x800 but alas, i have to save up at least $2000 for a ring. Now i know a true computer geek would never get a diamond ring over high speed, brand new stuff, but i need to get her THAT ring, so no more new toys for the computer :( Just blank cd-r and DVD+R is all i can afford to get.

Anyhow, competition tower???? Ok...Serious you want a good OCing CPU try for the mobiles they are good for OCing. I had one of the unlocked bartons and i sold it cause i got more from the mobile. Just changing the multiplier since they take less power to run that can make a big difference. Of course you know that already.

Regarding back to your first post, what do you mean "feed"? Did you get an adapter or something? Or did you just rig it on the side of the case so that it blows into the cpu fan or something like that?

9. Praetor

1. I've bought 4 ATi cards in my life. Thre of those times, I opened the box and I didnt find what i bought. No more ATI for me.

2. Feed = im still wowkring on it: 2 fans on the CPU. This works for me cuz im using a silentboost fan which has the multidirectional intakes. :)

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I read that AMD is starting to lock down their chips except for the FX series, anyone else heard of this? Something to do with remarkers.

11. Praetor

Hasnt AMD been locking down their chips since Thunderbird? 'course its not hard to unlock ....

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to find where I read it, something about locking the multiplier with no way to unlock it.

13. bird1234

bird1234 Member

After week 39 of the barton series, all AMD XP cpu's have a different look to them. If you compare them to the older one's, there appears to be some sort of covering on it, like a thin layer of clear paint almost. Their is no current way to unlock these cpu's as of yet, which is why people are trying to find older CPUs or Mobiles for their overclocking. AMD had to do that so that if people wanted a faster cpu, they would have to buy the more expensive ones. AMD's standpoint on this is an iffy one. Why? Everyone wanted to get an AMD before cause the multiplier was unlockable allowing for the use of a higher bus, unlike Intel's where the multiplier is burned in and no way to unlock it. Hope this helps

14. Praetor

15. bird1234

bird1234 Member

I was looking online about your speedstrip, it looks like it works for older CPU's. But i just couldn't find one that had it on a newer CPU. Like one after week 39 for the bartons or the Thorton core. If anyone is thinking about this, here's a link for you.

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=168

If anyone does get this and has a newer AMD, please let us know how it works, if at all.

16. Praetor

Got me a pair of the newer Bartons (28 and 32) but not the time to play with them yet. A curiosity: your XP-M -- thats a 462-pin chip?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

18. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

When you overclock RAM how can you check its stable?

19. Praetor

By using it. If your computer keeps restarting or doesnt boot then its not stable.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What Praetor said, but I think that you can be assured that you you'll know when it happens.