AfterDawn: Tech news

RealVideo use continues to die

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Feb 2010 6:35 User comments (22)

RealVideo use continues to die Arstechnica is reporting today that RealVideo continues its death spiral, this time with C-SPAN getting rid of the streaming video format in favor of Flash and Windows Media.
Says the C-SPAN site: "Due to lack of demand for the RealVideo format, we will be retiring our links to C-SPAN live video streams in the RealVideo format effective March 1, 2010."

The Ars reporter says the codec lives on in a few Government committees, such as the Senate's Committee on Environment and Public Works but the FCC finally upgraded last year to Flash, after previously broadcasting all their meetings on a server that could handle only up to 200 users and produced 240x240 resolution video.

Previous Next  

22 user comments

14.2.2010 20:21

Isn't built-in multimedia support in HTML5 supposed to kill all embedded players anyway?

24.2.2010 20:50

Good Riddance, Real Media.

34.2.2010 22:31

im with mike on this one..although the HTML5 beta on youtube is still quite buggy,but it loads much faster than flash so i still stick with it

44.2.2010 23:24

I never liked the RealMedia format. It's a super closed-source format that can be easily DRM'd and is very hard to properly convert to a more desired format. Ever tried to convert an .RM file to .AVI? Why would you even want to considering the very poor quality?

Poor Quality, Closed-Source & DRM has finally doomed the RealMedia format and I couldn't be happier.

54.2.2010 23:52

Good Riddance! "Real" Shame...LOL From day one Real Networks sucked! My first computer I ever bought used this crap media player and crap codecs which took over your PC like a dictator loading you up with Pop-ups and adverts. Had to pay if you wanted anything to work. A pain to un-install...it's no wonder Real is dying. I'm surprised this company lasted as long as it has with their tactics. Only unsuspecting noobs to computing would download Real Player when prompted to do so. R.I.P "REAL WORKS"

65.2.2010 01:09

Originally posted by ivymike:
I never liked the RealMedia format. It's a super closed-source format that can be easily DRM'd and is very hard to properly convert to a more desired format. Ever tried to convert an .RM file to .AVI? Why would you even want to considering the very poor quality?

Poor Quality, Closed-Source & DRM has finally doomed the RealMedia format and I couldn't be happier.
Hmm...maybe you guys never encoded or seen a good RM video. It does achieve very good compression and the quality can be very good, unless the files are encoded by some noobs that have no idea what they are doing and think it's cool to squeeze a full length movie in a 200MB video.
Yes, I did covert a RMVB to AVI or DVD, and had no issues.
Maybe different marketing strategies, different game play would've turned out better for Real Video...instead right now it is indeed dying, but not because "poor quality".

75.2.2010 04:58

Quote:
Hmm...maybe you guys never encoded or seen a good RM video. It does achieve very good compression and the quality can be very good, unless the files are encoded by some noobs that have no idea what they are doing and think it's cool to squeeze a full length movie in a 200MB video.
You converted a 2 hour movie into a 200MB RM file? I know for a fact that it looked terrible. I know there is a big difference between using the default settings and doing it correctly (just like most codecs), but you just can't squeeze 8GB into 200MB without noticable quality loss...you can't even do it into 700MB without noticable issues. Heck, even bluray disks have artifacts due to compression...and the compressed size is usualy over 20GB! The only thing that might look worse than a 2hr 200MB file is the AVI that you would be forced to convert it back to if you ever wanted to watch it.

As for the death of RM, I say, "Whore-Ray!" there are better codecs available for free, without DRM, and without the need for some player that is little more than malware.

Death to RM. Death to Quicktime. Death to SilverLight. Death to DivX. They all suck, and the only nice thing I can say about any of them is that DivX inspired some of the better open-source codecs.

85.2.2010 06:13

Quote:
Quote:
You converted a 2 hour movie into a 200MB RM file? I know for a fact that it looked terrible. I know there is a big difference between using the default settings and doing it correctly (just like most codecs), but you just can't squeeze 8GB into 200MB without noticable quality loss...you can't even do it into 700MB without noticable issues. Heck, even bluray disks have artifacts due to compression...and the compressed size is usualy over 20GB! The only thing that might look worse than a 2hr 200MB file is the AVI that you would be forced to convert it back to if you ever wanted to watch it.

As for the death of RM, I say, "Whore-Ray!" there are better codecs available for free, without DRM, and without the need for some player that is little more than malware.

Death to RM. Death to Quicktime. Death to SilverLight. Death to DivX. They all suck, and the only nice thing I can say about any of them is that DivX inspired some of the better open-source codecs.
You obviously didn't take 1 second to read my post...squeezing a full length movie in a 200MB video is exactly what I was talking against...

95.2.2010 06:52

wow. I totally forgot about real media until I just now read this article. I remember using it years ago, and how much I hated it. I can't even believe that it's still going these days.

105.2.2010 07:53

hmm. who cares?!

115.2.2010 07:55

hell, ive just been using real alternative for years, same thing for quicktime. Now that they mention it though, i dont think i have had to use ether for a long time. Just takin up hard drive space >. Good Riddance!!!!!!!!

125.2.2010 16:15

I'm amazed Real has been around this long. Ever since the web advanced beyond Mosaic it has been by far the most annoying package to deal with: lots of crapware, icons all over the desktop, threads starting up without asking . . . just about every rude thing a software package can do. Good riddance indeed!

135.2.2010 20:29

Yeah, I think that was the real problem with Real player.. .(and Quicktime), it was downright RUDE.
For me, the most notable pain in the ass was the requirement to use their player. Nothing else supported .rm so if you got something in that format you were pretty much screwed.
Conversion was tough as well.
Also, I think there were a crapload of bundled packages that came with cameras and such that only used that format and so there was a gob of amatures using the shareware version making extremely bad videos.
Whether it was a good codec or not is sorta besides the point. They killed themselves by being in your face.
To this day I routinely dislike and many times uninstall ANY program which installs an updater due to the REAL player updater that used to always annoy the hell out of me...

And all of the above, for the most part, can also be said for Quicktime.

145.2.2010 22:42

I rather liked Real PLayer a couple of years ago. When encoded properly videos look very nice for the size. I don't really see a need for super small videos at this point though, since internet speeds are going up, and servers are getting faster.

156.2.2010 00:50

Of course, everybody knows that RealPlayer is not the only one that plays RM videos, right...I have a few dozen RM videos, I never used Real Player. The only time I installed it was for testing purposes...

166.2.2010 01:24
scum101
Inactive

good riddance from me too.. horrid stuff.. especially the .rmvb format..

to convert any of this crap I use T@bencode.. and rmvb needs renaming to .rm .. how silly..

I want to see an internet free of proprietary garbage like real and adobe flash.. and proprietary codecs and websites that are built for one proprietary browser.. oh.. and sling java in the same bin.. because that's crap as well.. security risks every one.. java and flash based sites hit my "bad-bad" list almost immediately.. and that will go for the "new" afterdawn.. NO NEED for all that java guys.. or can't you code HTML for shizz?

The internet with flash and java disabled is quite a nice place actually.. with them left on it's like trying to read in a room full of people jumping about shouting!!

176.2.2010 12:44

Quote:

Maybe different marketing strategies, different game play would've turned out better for Real Video...instead right now it is indeed dying, but not because "poor quality".

186.2.2010 12:49

Quote:

Sorry! Haven't posted here for years, so made mistake of clicking "Post Reply" button before I typed my remarks. Here it is:

I wanted to second CyprusRom's post that .RMVB is fine, with good quality, compression, and converted great to avi or dvd. Besides, Videolan player can play .RMVB fine. That said, I never liked REAL PLAYER, and never used it for the reasons others have stated here.

196.2.2010 20:07
oappi
Inactive

Hated rm from the start... only quicktime is more annoying. Rm was quite good codec when it was used on cartoons, but i just can't stand any format that needs it's own player. Thats why i really dont want divx to die, since you can watch divx video with other players unlike rm or quicktime.

207.2.2010 20:18

I was new to computers when a website told me I needed to download Real Player. As some of you have noted, it is a bugger for taking over your computer. It totally upset my browsing experience for a short while. But it did force me to learn more about the inner workings of my laptop, as I struggled to get rid of the annoyance. So I suppose some good came of it in a way.

218.2.2010 02:31

Real media needs a wake up, they need to focus on being a better media player and encoder that encodes to flash,avi,mki,RM format.

Being able to stream seamlessly to any computer anywhere on the net would be helpful as well, the pay version offers HD support.

When they can bride CSS to alow them to transcode leaglly they can add some drm to it if they want but that seems unlikely...

228.2.2010 08:46

Quote:
Quote:

I like DIVX alot.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive