1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD cannot play on Win98

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by johnnygui, Oct 1, 2002.

1. johnnygui

johnnygui Member

Make a VCD from MPEG files and is able to play it on Win2K, XP OS. However when it comes to Win98 with Celeron chip, the VCD appears as audio CD. Anyone knows whats wrong with it?

Thanks.

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

XP comes built in with the ability to play back DVD, which is what is needed to play back VCD.

Get yourself a good DVD player software for your 98 pc. You don't need a DVD rom drive as long as you stick to VCD and SVCD, but you will need the software in order to play back.

I recommend Power DVD or Win DVD. They are both good players, as a matter of fact, I use both.

Good Luck!

3. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

that is too funny. johnny you know you could play the .dat file on the vcd disk in windows media player that comes with win98? if you dont believe me I have done it before in win98 and even on win NT4.0 now how sad is that .....

4. johnnygui

johnnygui Member

I have done that if only the CD Rom recognises the VCD as VCD and not an audio CD.

5. mashfanuk

mashfanuk Member

Windows 98 to play vcd require the following

1. Relevant Codecs get "Nimo DivXG400" and install
    2. Get "VCD Cutter" and install
    3. Play vcd thru VCD Cutter
    4. Nimo codec will play all including avi,dvix and mpeg/2 not sure on new release of divX5.0??
    5. You can play VCD thru any "image mounting software", but my advice is get VCD cutter as you do not need to register to play vcd's with this package.

That's all, simple really

Last edited: Oct 2, 2002
  6. VCDjunkie

1. browse the cd for the mpegav folder, here you will find the .dat file, usually with a filename=AVSEQ01.DAT
    2. get yourself a beer and roll a big fat joint.
    3. right click on the file AVSEQ01.DAT, and then click on open with.. select media player..
    4. smoke the joint, making sure to go to http://forums.afterdawn.com and type some nonsense about how you can't copy a cd, and watch how many people actually try to help you while you proceed to laugh your ass off profusely while enjoying your movie.
    5. don't forget to invite me over first, cuz I ain't got no beer or buds.. damnit!

7. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

vcdjunkie I got some beer but I just say no to bud sorry.
    but you are invited for beer anytime.....

8. johnnygui

johnnygui Member

Thanks for all the info. The only problem to reach all the above steps is for the CD Rom to recognise the CD as VCD and not an audio CD. For other VCDs it can be played on the machine. But when it comes to the self made VCD, it is recognised as audio CD with 2 tracks and not the VCD directory that we normally sees. However, the self made VCDs is working fine on my Win2K machine.

9. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

what I wanna know how that happend I have windows 98 with no upgrades to the OS and I can use browse to open any vcd I have seen and get to that .dat file......I have even done it with windows NT.

10. VCDjunkie

self made vcd? how exactly was this vcd authored? did you use Nero to create the VCD, or software such as VCDGear ? I would have to say that whatever was done, it did not create a VCD, but instead created an audio cd?

curious, does this "self made VCD" play on a standalone DVD player?

interesting indeed.

11. johnnygui

johnnygui Member

The software that makes it is NTI CD-Maker 2000 Professional. Both my machines are able to view the VCD except for the Win98

12. VCDjunkie

Windows Media Player should work (try windows update for the latest, http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). If not, have you tried DVD player software ?? If you use DVD player software, just know that you will also have to browse to the location of the .dat file.

got to admit though, this is a tough problem you have man!

wonderboy, next time you are in miami, FL USA, be sure to bring a six pack, I will have my girlfriend bring some of her single friends over and we'll have ourselves a party.

13. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

vcdjunkie I'm in california so if I'm going to go way out there I at least have to get a keg right.......