1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must Read b4 Starting a New Thread

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mastaprk, May 4, 2004.

1. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE, but if I do, sorry! As much as I enjoy helping people that are new to the forum or new to backing up movies b/c I used to be a newbie as well, but read a few posts b4 deciding that you want to start a new thread. Search is always useful and reading some recent posts can usually help as well. Even if I have found some information on the topic that I am searching for, I will sometimes go ahead and start a new thread just to get the most recent infomation or help. Lately I have been seeing the same type of posts w/ people using the same crappy software (ex. 321 Studios X Copy). [bold]Things that should be performed/attempted before you start a new thread and ask another generic question:[/bold]

1. Try DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to rip/compress the DVD's.

2. Try Nero 6 or DVD Decrypter to burn the files to DVD.

3. Try to use Ritek G04 media or ProDisc media and avoid large spindles.

4. Try to drop the burning speed if compatibility issues occur or if movie freezes up in certain spots.

5. If you have tried these for the most part (at least steps 1 & 2) and are still having problems, then ask away and start as many new threads as you feel is necessary.

6. If you must start a new thread, then be specific in your problem and provide us with details such as the burner brand/model/format and the media brand/format/burn speed that you are using. Also include ANY information that you feel is relevant even if you think that it may not be contributing to the problem (use your own judgement).

7. Follow these steps and you should be backing up your movies in no time.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]PC:
    Windows Home SP1
    Biostar M7VIT, AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    1024MB Centon PC2700
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR
    IBM 60GB 7200RPM
    Pioneer A07
    Software: Shrink 3.1.7.6 & Nero 6

PS2 v4 fliptop:
    Swap Magic DVD 2.0 & CD 3.0
    Main DVD-R Ritek G04 & Piodata[/small]

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  2. brian100

brian100 Guest

Especially spindles made from Iron & Cchocolate. The iron spindles tend to hurt the ole noggin, and the choccy ones melt at THE most awakward times.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well mastaprk, your thoughts certainly do echo mine and a few others I know HOWEVER,

1. Most Newbies DON'T READ anything at all when they come here.

2. Because of # 1, they don't try any programs.

Figure out how we can kill the ones that don't read and get away with the murder :)
    (Just Kidding)

Pete

PS. There's nothing wrong with large spindels, I get discs in quanites of 100 all the time and in the last 4 shippments I got 1 scratched disc (it was replaced).

Otherwise, nice post - wish we could "Brand it" in some Newbies' foreheads :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  4. michigan

michigan Guest

"brand it" ohhh now I get it :) By the way we could kill them with coasters, I still have a few left that I can't seem to get rid of. It's getting nice out so the kids will probably take care of that though (they come up with some weird stuff to play with?)

5. brian100

brian100 Guest

The problem, to me, is that there apears to be a lot of people who are simply impatient. It's the ole "gees ive got a new dvd burner..whoopeeeee. i wanna burn..i wanna burn(foaming at the mouth syndrome) situation". They feel they need to "learn" experience rather than "gain" it. In my own experience I find that if it can be "worked out yourself" it often hits the desired spot in the head and tends to register. If only people would do research BEFORE purchasing any hardware or software we would all be far better off in the long run.

I must admit though, thinking like a newbie, boy it must be difficult at times!. IE "geees what the hells going on..ASPI..firmware, rip,g03, 2X, 4X, dual layer,+ or -, encode, transcode, CCE, DVDshrink, DVD2one, Pinnacle, DVDstripper, rebuilder, Intervideo, Vob, mpeg, avi, svcd...crap where do i start, my heads spinning ?!!". The choices must be difficult at times, I know from personal experience that it was for me, and still is at times.

Perhaps summat else to think about. If all newbies and members alike did RESEARCH this place could well become a very baron place to be. Nowt much to do, apart from discuss news issues etc. I am not sure if the owners of this site would relish that situation for a number of reasons.

The bottom line, for me, is hey I enjoy (and sometimes get a real kick !!) out of helping others, but sometimes I see a post and think.........well you know what i'm thinking.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]2 cardboard boxes
    Cracked Windows 65
    Rusty cranking handle for booting.
    16 Pieces Of Absent Minded Memory.
    16Mb Medium to Prostrate Storage Space.
    Nvidia Crapmax 12 (8 Colour!!) Graphics Card
    36" Long Fish Tank (Including guppies) For Viewing.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2004
  6. grogey

grogey Guest

I too enjoy passing on my limited knowledge - but boy I get frustrated when I see a new thread titled along these lines:
    Even if they don't read and research, would it really be too much to ask to put a relative title to the post?

make note to self to check that I haven't started a thread with such a dumb title lol