1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Nero and Pioneer 107

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by carpki, May 6, 2004.

1. carpki

carpki Guest

My Pioneer 107 started off burning + media and was doing well till I changed the media brand, then it steadfastly refused to burn to any type of media after that. I got an error at the end of the burn during the lead-out and it said the burn had failed! I have just built a new system and have now put the Pioneer in to it instead of my old system, and lo and behold it now burns again!!!

Hooray I here you say! Well not quite!, it now only burns to - media and refuses to burn to + media. When I burn to + media I get the same problem as before, also during the burn the buffer bar scoots about all over the place from 10% up to 90%. Any ideas what the problem is? Or am I missing the obvious somewhere!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi carpki, Your problem may be related to the brand of blank media you are using. What brand +R are you burning?
    Also check if there is an update on your burner firmware.

Jerry

3. carpki

carpki Guest

Hi Jerry, thanks for replying! The +media in question is bulkpaq (no manufacturer i.d) and Mirror Platinum (manufacturer i.d. - IS01). The -media is Mirror Platinum Pro (manufacturer i.d. - RitekGo4). The firmare version is 1.09, which is the factory setting. I'm not really confident enough yet to go mucking about with the firmware as I really wouldn't be sure what I'm doing!
    I have also heard people say to switch the DMA on, while others say to switch it off. Mine is switched off for that drive. Does that have anything to do with it?

Many thanks
    Carpki

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Have DMA enabled on all your drives. Having the burn fail on lead-out is usually an indication of bad media. The lead-out is the last thing that's written, so it's located at the outer edge of the disc. I would try a burn on something a bit smaller than 4464 MB, just to see if that's the problem.

If you are using Shrink, try reducing the size of the disc by 50 or 100 MB: Edit-> Preferences-> Target Disc Size-> change to custom and then change the target size.

As long as the buffer does not empty completely it should be OK. Enabling DMA may improve that.

5. carpki

carpki Guest

I've tried burning backups that are only about 3.3 Gb and i still get the same problem on +media, so they are nowhere near the edge of the disk when finishing. I will go and enable DMA just now to see if it makes a difference and try another disk. At least its burning to -media, better than not burning at all..lol :)

6. carpki

carpki Guest

DMA is now enabled and that cured the buffer level problem..it now stays constantly above 90% whilst burning to a CD+R but it still says it can't finish the disk. Still works okay on CD-R. Why does it refuse to burn to media that it was quite happy to burn to before? Jeez! I'm happy to continue burning to - media but this is doing my head in! I just want to know why this is a problem. Grrrrrrrrrrrr :(

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You may want to upgrade the firmware to 1.10 (the latest) and see if that does anything, also sometimes removing and reinstalling your burning program will cure this. Especially Nero, which does not like to be moved around.

BTW, what are you using for burning software? Ripping software? What kinds of DVD programs do you have installed?

I use hacked firmware in my Pioneer A07. Both the official and hacked firmware are avalible here from flashman:

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Because you are having some issues, a firmware upgrade might be a good thing to do.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  8. carpki

carpki Guest

Well I was using DVD X-Copy Platinum because I was being a bit lazy and new to it all. Its really simple to work. However I have just downloaded DVD Shrink and DVDEncrypter. I think I have sussed out DVD Shrink by following the guides on this forum, but emmmmm.. if u are familiar with DVD Shrink how do I delete the extras if I want to chuck them. It gives me an option to compress them, but I just don't want them at all. I'll look into the firmware thing tomorrow when I get out of bed.lol.

9. carpki

carpki Guest

In a quick reply to my last post, I've just had a look at the firmware site before I go to bed. Emmmmmmmmmmm I think I will have nightmares now and may not be able to get any sleep lol. I've heard about this and flashing, is it the same thing or seperate things? and will it hurt? lol.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It will void the warranty on your burner. I voided mine 15 minutes after installation. :D I installed the firmware that allows 6-8X burns with 4X -R media.
    I thought it was causing problems so I reinstalled the original firmware. I did go back to the hacked firmware a while later.

Oriphus has a nice set of guides at his site, just browse for his site's URL in one of his post replys. Shouldn't be to hard to find as he gets around!

Other Shrink guides can be found here:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

You have come to the right forum for help! There are lots of experts here with plenty of experence that really enjoy helping folks out.

As far as removing stuff with Shrink, you will lose the menu, so just bear that in mind. Select Reauthor once the analysis is complete, then drag the main title into the compilation window on the left. While you are at it, get rid of the un-needed audio and subpictures as well. When you are done, select backup! From the menu that opens, select ISO disc image and check the box below that to enable burning with Decrypter. Put your disc in your burner and select OK. Shrink will do the rest. You don't need to open Decrypter, Shrink just uses Decrypter's burn engine as long as you have the settings correct.

11. baboo

baboo Member

If you are using nero ultra 6 , you should down load the four updates I had a problem of not finishing burning and the updates fixed it for me.

12. carpki

carpki Guest

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the guides (Fastfrank) I seem to have sussed out Dvd Shrink already. I'll leave the firmware till I'm more comfortable with the idea of doing it. I'll also leave the downloading of Nero updates till broadband lands here in less than two months (allegedly). But thanks for the idea Baboo. I think I'll just continue to burn to -media at the moment!

13. Clotty

Clotty Member

I'm a total newbie when it come to DVD writers, but I flashed my Pioneer 107 with the 1.13 firmware from the pioneer site. It scared the C**P out of me as I'd never done this before to any of my cd writers, but It seems to have sorted out my problem with 4 speed writing. All the best

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Clottie,
    Flashing is pretty exciting the first few times. As long as no fire comes out the front of your PC its probably going to work.

15. carpki

carpki Guest

Fire??? Oh jeez!! now u put me off totally lmao.

I actually downloaded the offical firmware update and it said to follow the instructions in read-me to a tee. Problem was there is no read me file. So I downloaded an unoffical one which makes it region free etc. It did have a read-me document but it only told me what the new firmware version would do!! not how to do it!!

Could I ask a favour and be pointed in the right direction where I could get some instructions to all this. iIt would be much appreciated

16. john179

john179 Active member

I use to have a pioneer burner and when i started updateing the firmware this is when i had problems.Stick with the firmware you have got until you have checked the other firmware updates out 100% and your sure it is really worth updateing and make sure it is one you can change back.As there was one i updated and could not go back.Bulkpak media is ok as such but you do get some faulty spindles from time to time i have had a few 25 packs of this media where all were faulty.Try the yellow daterwrite they are cheap and i have never had a problem with them.The grey ones of the same brand are even better but i would stay away from the red ones of the same brand as i have problems with them.Best thing for you to do is trial and error go to a computer fair and buy a load of single discs of different types and use trial and error.You can use pioneer web site which gives you a guide to performance of each media for your drive but this is not always true to your drive

17. carpki

carpki Guest

Cheers John! Go to a computer fair??? Jeez! we just got electricity!! I'm afraid a round trip to the nearest one would take over 7 hours. I do have a local supplier where I get my stuff from tho, and they're not to bad price wise, but limited choice wise. I tried bulkpaq and put them in the bin, the -media that I use is RitekG04 which costs £14.99 for 25 which isn't too bad. I am thinking of getting an nec2500a as well cause they only cost £59. But your right! I think I'll stick with the firmware I have got for the meantime

18. john179

john179 Active member

Check out the web for some really good priced media which you can get shipped out to you.I think there is one called disc city or something like that and they were real value for money £8 for 25 daterwrite.Put a search in for media sites on googles and you will get some good deals.

19. kaledrr

kaledrr Member

I have the same problem, I burned about 16 Maxell dvd+r but latter it start to fial. It mention prcess failed at 4x.
    i have the Nero 6.3 and pioneer DVR-107d.

20. kaledrr

kaledrr Member

he I just used sony DVD+RW to burn some files and worked fine, but when I use to burn files usning Maxell dvd+r it failed.