1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help...I'm a newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pmac34, May 7, 2004.

1. pmac34

pmac34 Member

I need some dvd backup help. I've been reading through these forums for quite a while now and have decided to dive in. Unfortunately, before doing enough research I bought DVDxCopy Platinum v3.2.1. on the web. Then I realized it was not being supported or even made anymore, but the package had already shipped. I haven't opened the package yet so I can send it back. What do you recommend? I've been reading a lot about DVD Shrink and DVD Decyptor and since these are free and still being updated, it sounds like it might be a better choice.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Send it back. DVDShrink and Decrypter will do the job better and as you know they are free. If you want to invest in a good backup program, purchase CloneDVD and AnyDVD. They work together and cost about $40. each.
    CloneDVD does the ripping and burning while Anydvd runs in the background as the decrypter.

Jerry

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Definitely send it back. Try out Shrink and Decryptor first. Starting with good free tools should give you a good idea what's worth paying for. If you're going to do any compression I recommend spending $58 on CCE Basic and using DVD Rebuilder. Like the "one-click" tools it's very newbie friendly, but by using a high quality encoder intead of just removing bits it gives you (IMHO) better quality.

I'd also suggest looking for guides for various programs to decide what to try. You can get a good idea of the complexity from reading through them. My signature has links for guides to DVD Shrink and DVD Rebuilder. A Google search will no doubt turn up some good guides for CloneDVD and AnyDVD as well. I've never used CloneDVD, but there seem to be a lot of satisfied users (like Jerry746) so I'd say it's worth checking out.

4. pmac34

pmac34 Member

Thanks for the advice. Based on your experience, how do Shrink and Decryptor perform compared to CloneDVD and AnyDVD? I will not be doing any major backing up. I don't really have that many dvds. I'm just interested in something that gets the job done without me having to be a computer genius and investing a lot of cash.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

If you don't plan on doing many backups I'd recommend Shrink and Decrypter, they'll do everything you need.

6. pmac34

pmac34 Member

Awesome - thanks. This is probably a stupid question, but do I run Shrink first and then pull the file into Decryptor to burn? I assume I can do this with only one dvd drive (burner only - no rom).

7. Nephilim

You can set Shrink to automatically use Decrypter to burn.

Click the Backup button on Shrink.

In the new window under "Select Target Device" choose "ISO Disc Image".

Once you do this there will be an option at the bottom of the window to launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image. Click that and you're set :)

8. pmac34

pmac34 Member

I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. pudgy

pudgy Member

As always, great advice from the experts..I am still getting that stupid semipore timeout thing..but if I just keep hitting retry, it burns..

by the way Nephilim,what kinda sammich you chewing on in that there pic?

10. john179

john179 Active member

There are many good software packages out there i use to use clone dvd and smart ripper all the time.I still use these programes but i also use Nero 6 one2one as well.The new updated nero and one2one are really good if you want to put more than 1 film on a disc.I also use unlead for converting sevral vcd's on to a dvd.Clone dvd,Nero and some sort of ripper ripper is a really good place to start and dvd shrink for a freeware
    Cheers
    John179

11. Nephilim

It's actually a cracker with cheese cut from the moon, from The Adventures of Wallace and Grommit - a must see :)

12. pudgy

pudgy Member

well i'll just see if netflix has that one and give it a looksey..

13. VERACITY

VERACITY Guest

I have a question for everyone, and hopefully you can help. I've been using DVD shrink. It has been encoding much slower. Once it's done encoding it usually ejects the disc and asks to insert a blank and automatically starts burning. But now, I insert the disc, it does it's Analysis, Encodes and that's it! It gives me a message stating that DVD shrink has finished encoding my files, has saved them to my folder, and can be burned onto a disc with the appropiate software. I'm using Nero6. Can someone please help

14. Nephilim

Hi,

This may be silly, but is the "enable burning with Nero" option still checked?

15. pmac34

pmac34 Member

Thanks for the great advice with Shrink and Decryptor. My first try (that wasn't on cheap media) went perfect. I just need to get some better blank. Any recommendations on places to get good DVD+Rs?

16. VERACITY

VERACITY Guest

Hi there Nephilim, Thanks for replying. And yes that option is checked and still no luck. Is there perhaps a way to transfer these files onto my burner manually ?