1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persistence in WinXP Autologon and TweakUI

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by VideoBob, May 7, 2004.

1. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Like many people, I use TweakUI for several purposes. One of these is to log onto my main account at power-up (Autologin). This worked dandy in Win9x, but in WinXp--even after downloading the correct version of TweakUI--the autologon feature lasts exactly ONE boot--and then I have to set it again.

Does anyone know what might be affecting the persistence/permanence of the setting?

Is there a better way of doint this?

Also, some settings in IE (window size and "View Status Bar" for instance) also don't seem to be persistent and must be manually changed each time I start IE 6.

Thanks!

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

That link tells how to do it through the registry.

The only thing I can think of right off that would be affecting the persistence of the settings with Tweakui would be either a security policy that is applied at bootup or you are not a member of the local administrators group for the pc. Usually you see the security policy more on a corporate pc than a home pc but I have run into some people that have played around with the group policy editor and got themselves into trouble. I remember one guy years ago on Windows 95 set his pc so only certain programs would run. He thought that would increase security. His mistake was that he didn't specify the policy editor as one of the programs so once the policy was applied he had no way to add or remove anything to the allowed programs list.

3. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Thanks, Xian,

The article helped a lot. I think my problem is that I *am* THE administrator, logged in under my own name, but with no password for either account. The registry automatically disables AdminAutoLogin when there is no password for the AutoLogin user. Since, in this case, the user is an administrator, it probably disables that as well.

I never used passwords as this is a secure location and I never got autologin to work right. I'll try setting both administrator and user passwords and see if the TweakUI doesn't work properly.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the Status Bar on IE 6 to stay open from session to session on IE 6.

BTW, that was a cute trick with the link. Would you mind e-mailing me off-list and tell me how you did it? (O is that something that AfterDawn does automatically?)

Thanks again!

bob

4. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Final Solution:

Adding a password to my login solve all of the autologon persistence problems.

Thanks!