1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Messaging Misuse

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by loaded, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Hello Afterdawners, I am not an administrator, but it seems to me that a some people, especially newbies, are using the Private Messaging facility to send certain members technical questions privately.

This is not in the spirit of Afterdawn. I encourage all those regular users, you know who you are, not to respond to unsolicited requests for technical help. To those newbies and lazy ones, you know who you are, please do not select the name of a regular poster who seems to know his stuff and send him private technical messages. Those that do, will find it increasingly difficult to use any part of the Afterdawn website, if you get my meaning.

For those of you who need an explanation, it is simple. Afterdawn is for people to share and learn information. When a question is posted privately, others can not benefit from the answer and work gets unnecessarily duplicated. This is the reason people like Afterdawn have provided this site, they want everyone to learn using Afterdawn and continue to develop their skills by helping others later on. I started with no knowledge, and whilst I am no genius, everything I have learnt comes from this site, not only the articles, but also the forums and now I help others, where I can.

When you have a question of a technical nature, post it in the relevant forum and wait for someone to respond. you are more likely to get a better understanding and more answers that way anyway!

Happy burning

Paul.

aka loaded.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  2. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Sorry but I disagree there are many reasons to have private messages and they aren't bad as you would like to make them out to be.

If this is your stance then don't allow them period but to allow them and then complain that people use that feature is plain and simple INSAIN.

Just my two cents

3. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Mr. Movies.

Please read the content of threads fully before you reply to them.

If you don't understand them, ask for help.

>> there are many reasons to have private messages <<

Yes, and the one Paul has carefully described to you isn't one of them.

He's right, you're wrong.

And learn how to spell. The word is "INSANE".

-- Mr. Klingy --

P.S. We're not (supposed?) to be able to reply in here? How is it I can reply?

(no need to reply) <heh-heh>

<< or if you like, you could send me a private message >> NOT!!! (Duhhhhhh!)

4. loaded

That is exactly the kind of response I would expect from someone who would do that kind of thing.

Hello Sir Klingon!

Paul.

PS : You can't start a new thread in this forum, but you can reply to those that are still 'open'. Closed threads anywhere are the ones you can't reply to, no matter how much you beg the webmaster!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  5. Sam28

Sam28 Guest

How do you check your private message?

6. A_Klingon

Sam28 -- make sure you are logged in first, and then check the upper right-hand portion of your screen. There should be a "Private Messages" link to click on.

The link doesn't appear though unless you are logged-in. Also, (apparently), when sending a private message to someone for the first time (assuming it is *you* who is creating the first message), that particular thread will not show up in your 'private messages' folder right away, until the person has responded back to you.

(Unless dRD has spruced-up that function). Overall, the private messages function works fine for me.

<not to mention the ability to completely remove a sig line!> :)

-- Mike --

Last edited: Nov 18, 2002
  7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

A_Klingon: Boy you told me, WRONG! I'm correct no matter what the spelling and IT IS INSANE now can you get over that lets hope.

8. loaded

Mr-Moviez :

It may be my pedantic English, but I am struggling to understand exactly what you mean. If by your previous comment you assert that you are, in fact, correct, I am sorry to inform you that you are not. Please take a deep breath, count to 20 and don't let that testosterone build up. Then in a calm mood READ the thread and try to appreciate that all I am trying to do is encourage those with questions and knowledge to keep them in open forum, so that everyone may benefit from the answers. Clearly I make no statement to the effect that private messaging is bad. On the odd risque day, I might even try it myself ;-)

Please do not respond to this post, unless you have thoroughly read and understood what it is about, as it is (and I'm afraid the webmaster agrees with me) a problem that needs addressing.

I am sure that in the cold light of day you will be able to reflect on this, understand it and leave it alone. In future, we all sincerely hope you will continue to be a valued member of the Afterdawn users community.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Sincerely (and somewhat pedantically)

Paul.

9. A_Klingon

Paul --

Are you still around? I sent you a PM with your personal dvdxcopy activation codes.

Hope to 'see' you soon.

-- Mike --

10. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I am right no matter what, and you are wrong.. I like that pre-pubescent cry baby attitude, not too uncommon in these forums (unfortunately). Anyhow Loaded, very well put and I happen to agree with you whole heartedly and have refused to help people in PM's myself.. Having said that, I will also add that the same cry baby that I told needed to create a thread and give me a link so that everybody could benefit thought I was being a jerk and left without saying good-bye, needless to say I haven't slept right since.. *cough*

;-)

11. VCDjunkie

Actual conversation:

sharon 16 Nov 2002 10:56 AM

I am sorry for coming right to you to ask a question but I can't find anyone that knows,I was just wondering if you knew something to use other then virtualdub because I have been having olot of problems with it?

VCDjunkie 16 Nov 2002 11:04 AM

I don't like to answer questions in private messages, please create a forum thread and give me a link to the address and I will answer you there. Thanks.

sharon 16 Nov 2002 11:42 AM

sorry for bothering you.Thanks

VCDjunkie 16 Nov 2002 12:05 PM

forums are supposed to help everybody, if I answer your questions in a private message, then nobody else can put in their feedback and nobody else can learn from what is said. This is a public forum, and the rules of the forum are set so that everybody can benefit from the knowledge of others. Please, create a new thread and post your questions there, and give me a link to the thread in private message, I will answer your questions in the forum thread, but not in a private message.

12. A_Klingon

[ cry babies....]

"Waaahhhhh..... goob goob .....ahhhh-ahhhhhh, bluurrpphhh....Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!"

I get occassional PMs asking teckie questions, and while I appreciate someone thinking I'm smart enough to have an answer, I always politely try to redirect them to the forums.

Their chances of getting help are *way* superior because I am only one person versus ######. I DO hope these folks realize that this is not a 'cop-out- on my part, or that I'm trying to pass-the-buck, or appear impersonal or unconcerned; -- it's just that, for the most part, it's *dumb* to ask those kinds of questions unless you happen to know for certain that that particular is a genuine EXPERT in that area. Even then, I'd always try a Forum message to that person first.

(For example, I'd like to ask Derrow (ifoedit) a question or 8, but I know he's heavily preoccupied elsewhere and I wouldn't be selfish enough to 'demand' PM responses from him.)

" Goo-goo-goo.....blub-blub-blub.... Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!"

-- Ever See A_Klingon in Diapers? It's *Gross* --

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

This is a prime example why I don’t patronize this site short on sense and full of suck-ups. If you can’t figure out the simple stuff I can understand why you don’t use PM’s much, it is too bad since there are some people here that are sharp, some… This is the last breath I waste here.

14. A_Klingon

Hey! It's been a 'slice' man! Don't slam the door on your way out.

-- The_Suck_Upping_Klingon --

15. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

Hmmm, some times I am really, really, really wondering how easily peoples tends to missunderstand the point. This thread seems to be just another prime example.

Let's illustrate:
    - Loaded pointed out that there is one particular problem when people use pm-feature.
    - Movie pointed out that there are many useable ways for such pm-feature and therefore he/she disagrees and same time completelly bypass the original thesis.
    - Klingon and few other Vulcanites..:) tries to point out to Movie with several examples what was "the" issue.
    - Movie still disagrees, and makes few other remars..:)
    - Follow ups: temperature is rising
    - Close up comments: disagreeing "parties" are lightyears away form each others..:) Literally, this could be Star Trek episode ?????..:)

End note, what it's worth, I agree with loaded original thesis. I have been there many times. I used to offer voluntary help on IBM's official tech forum and at few other pc-oriented forums. That was just fun until mine e-mail box started to flood with personal tech help questions. I abandoned forum when few inviduals decided to take further steps and actually called to my cell phone to ask tech help... (don't ask how they managed to aqquire that info) Though I allways tried to point out to e-mailers that they would get more efficient help if they would post their problems to forum, as there are many, I am just one person..:) There is limit to be done...And when few decided to call up, it didn't feel that fun anymore, it felt like regular PC-helpdesk dammit..:D

16. VCDjunkie

heh.. I know the feeling. I get enough tech-help questions being the supervisor of technical support at my job full time, I do this in my spare time to try and help people, but don't always have the time to hold peoples hands.. that said, I think mr-movies wouldn't last 5 minutes working for me..

my 2 cents!

17. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You all are truly dumb and your right I wouldn’t last long working for you nor would I want to there are too many supervisors like you, VCDjunkie, out there I’ve seen them come and go. This isn’t about your personal problems it is about helping people but you all here are more into self gratification and stroking your selves then really trying to help. Again IF YOU DON’T WANT PEOPLE TO USE SOMETHING DON’T PROVIDE THAT SOMETHING AND THEN BITCH BECAUSE IT IS USED, THAT IS INSANE! Bottom line no argument, OH I forgot you will still argue what a bunch.

18. A_Klingon

You could tell us all about it in a PM, of course. :)

-- thrrppphhhhh --

19. VCDjunkie

once again mr-movies proves that he did not read the posts.. nobody here ever said that the private messaging system did not have its uses.. oh, by the way jack ass, I happen to be very good at my job and go way out of my way to help people.. I just refuse to do so when it does not benefit everybody you sorry excuse for a stain on a monkeys ass.

20. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

Well, this is probably fruitless to continue, cause we are not going to achieve mutual agreement with mr movie here, but anyway, liked to point out:

"IF YOU DON’T WANT PEOPLE TO USE SOMETHING DON’T PROVIDE THAT SOMETHING AND THEN BITCH BECAUSE IT IS USED, THAT IS INSANE!"

Now, switch word "something" to for example "guns", "cars" and word "used" to "misused" and we soon see that issue ain't so straight forward.
    Why then this is counted as misuse and not proper usage/conduct, well, read the first rule of pm-message:
    "DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES ASKING QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE ASKED USING OUR PUBLIC FORUMS! Violating this basic rule will automatically ban you from our forums, permanently. This is because our helpful users DON'T want to receive whining emails from other users asking questions that could be asked and replied by other users in public forums as well. So, send only messages that have content that's meant to be private or you get booted."

As we can see, that rule is pointed out loud and clear and pops right front of nes eyes when starts to compose pm-message. One can't tell us that missed such rule. But if mamaged to do so, well, for heavens sake, don't ever try to initialize irc-session and wonder why you were akilled/klined from certain channels/servers......;)

Few member have now pointed out that they are not fond about idea due to issues pointed out earlier in this thread. That's is hardly pitching like you would like to describe it, I would call that more like "personal preferences"...And it is the one rule at this forum.

Thakur005 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.