1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demux VOB after Muxing MKV to VOB

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by jr9488, Mar 28, 2010.

1. jr9488

jr9488 Member

I muxed a H264 video and a DTS audio file into an MKV container using MeGUI. Then I converted the MKV to VOB using MKV2VOB allowing me to stream to my PS3 with DTS. Unfortunately this video requires some subtitiles. I am trying to Demux my VOB so I can add subtitles and go through the whole process of placing back into MKV container with Sub then using VOB to encode the subtitles. I tried using HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream extractor in MeGUI to demux into a .H264 video file and a .ac3 audio file. I added the subs and remuxed using MeGUI to add subs into a MKV container. I used mk2vob to encode subs and the video turns out ok but I get static for sound. I tried the always transcode DTS option in mk2vob but same result nothing but static. When demuxing the VOB file there is a drop down box that allows me to choose the format under the column header "exctact as". Under description colum for the audio file it reads "RAW/PCM, 2.0 channels, 16 bit, 48khz". The extract as defaults "AC3" but there are 9 formats to choose from. Should I use choose a different format other than the "AC3"

Any ideas how to add subs to the VOB file.

2. neronut

neronut Regular member

The PS3 may not like the soft subtitles. They really should be in PGS, i think thats the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format. One way is to hardcode them onto the video and then run that on the PS3 but this is time consuming.

As for the audio, it seems that it may have been corrupted in demuxing. Are your vob files split? I tend to use m2ts as that is the same container format that is used by BDs and should also support that subtitle format, I would have to hunt the net to find out. If it is seeing RAW PCM then maybe something got damaged, that would explain why you are getting fuzz output.

3. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

jr9488, I tried to follow everystep you took, but honestly I got lost. So if you have tried this I'm sorry to repeat you. Have you tried demuxing your vob w/ tsmuxer and checked to see if the audio is bad. I'm not real sure but I think you can use tsmuxer on your vob subs also.

4. jr9488

jr9488 Member

Yes. I already tried it but did not mention it on the post. When I tried demuxing with tsmuxer it only showed that the vob contained a .h264 file but no audio. That is why I used the HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream extractor in MeGUI.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  5. jr9488

jr9488 Member

I have been able to hardcode .srt subtitles in my vob files with no problem so I dont think that is the issue. I typically use the .m2ts but it doesnt support DTS so that is why I use the .vob format.

Thanks for the input. If you happen to find the process to hard code subs in m2ts files I would also be interesed in that.