1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone give me the basics for creating my own HTPC?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by jam4, May 9, 2004.

1. jam4

jam4 Member

I've thought about purchasing a TiVO or replayTV, but my pet peev is that they charge for monthly service AND you can't output the data for recording onto DVD's. I figure I could make my own computer for the cost of the ready to go Pioneer DVR with DVD's which range from $1200-1800. Has anyone done this with enough advice to get me started? I figure a Radeon all-in-wonder card would be the most expensive piece but I don't want to buy a better card than I need since I don't want advanced gaming capabilities, etc... My other question is that I understand TiVO and replayTV need a separate phone jack connection to get the program listings? With a computer you apparently don't need this, but are the listings available online cohesive with different cable companies in different regions? Lastly, can I build a system that lets me take advantage of HDTV broadcasts when available?

Thanks in advance!

2. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

This is one of the best sites around for HTPC's:

http://www.htpcnews.com/

Plus I am currently working on a howto build a HTPC guide for the Afterdawn Guides, but it will be more Aussie centric. Unfortunetly it won't be finished till my own HTPC is and that will be a little while away.

Cheers.

P.S. HDTV is definitly possible, but if you don't want to drop too many frames you'll need some grunt like a P4 2.8, 512 ram and a hardware decoding Mpeg2 video card would be good too

3. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi all
    ive finally managed to get my graphics card to work with tv out via a s video connection. how ever it is only black and white. i have no idea why.

Damon1 u seem to have plenty of knowledge in this area could u please tell me y or any 1 infact.

thanks damo

4. michigan

michigan Guest