AfterDawn: Tech news

Over $50 billion lost in 2009 due to software piracy, says BSA

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 May 2010 8:13 User comments (16)

Over $50 billion lost in 2009 due to software piracy, says BSA According to the latest Business Software Alliance (BSA) report, pirates cost software companies over $50 billion USD in 2009, with Asian nations accounting for a large amount of those losses.
Despite increases in anti-piracy efforts, 43 percent of all software being used on computers right now is pirated, up from 41 percent in 2008, reads the report.

Globally, losses mounted to $51.4 billion, with a whopping $16.5 billion coming from the Asia-Pacific region.

Overall, the BSA says the increase in piracy is thanks to the strong growth of PC owners in India, China and Brazil.

Victor Lim, a VP at IDC (which jointly carried out the study with the BSA) says that despite pirates software rates falling in 54 nations, it rose or stayed neutral in 57. Piracy rate in the Asia-Pacific territories was 59 percent, meaning that of of the 900 million pieces of commercial software installed in 2009, 530 million were unlicensed.

"This study makes clear that while efforts to bring down piracy levels in the Asia-Pacific are enjoying some success, dollar losses at over 16.5 billion (dollars) remain the highest in the world," adds Jeffrey Hardee, BSA's vice president and regional director. "This is unacceptable and there is still much to be done to engage governments, businesses and consumers on the risks and impact of software piracy."

Some of the piracy rates for individual nations were shocking, especially in Eastern Europe were nations like Georgia, Moldova and Armenia all had over 90 percent. On the other end, the United States was the lowest on the list, at 20 percent, with Japan and Australia not far behind.

Previous Next  

16 user comments

111.5.2010 20:49

people keep attaching numbers to these losses, but there's no way to say company x lost y dollars with any confidence. I don't doubt this is a problem, but cmon...let's stop making up numbers. =/

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 May 2010 @ 8:51

211.5.2010 21:50

wow I can pull numbers out of my ass too.

311.5.2010 22:00

Somebody call the wahmbulance!

411.5.2010 22:04
trident77
Inactive

this crowd is well known for fixing figures. anyone with an ounce of sense would disregard this statement.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 May 2010 @ 10:05

511.5.2010 22:27

BSA = BS Alliance. They also use a BS Algorithm to come up with their numbers.

611.5.2010 22:55

lol should be higher now with all those dloading adobe cs5 masters.
after all we can all afford $1,899 for a sw suit.

711.5.2010 23:07

I lost one hundred billion this year because youtube took down my video.

See, I can lie and pull a number out of the sky too.

812.5.2010 00:22
llongtheD
Inactive

The unfortunate thing is our corrupt politicians see these figures without thinking. Then the next thought is "look how many tax dollars we are losing to piracy." They then proceed to get on board with almost anything these organizations want. Anyone not yet convinced that we are now fully run by corporations, pull your head out.
It all goes back to the same thing that has been said time and time again, if they didn't get a pirated copy and couldn't afford it, they wouldn't use it anyway. Not real loss, projected loss.
I'd like to live in that fantasy world also...where we could all afford several hundred dollars for a single license of a piece of software, that you constantly have to upgrade.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 May 2010 @ 12:24

912.5.2010 01:02

why bother complaining about piracy they should make all software free problem solved.they should be greatful people are using there software it increases their popularity and reputation not whinging that people who can't afford to buy it are using it.I drove a 2003 suburu liberty once it was the best car i ever drove.I dont have the money to buy one but after driving it for 2hours i decided 1 day i am gonna buy 1.

1012.5.2010 03:13

A couple hundred? That is chump change. Adobe creative suite cs5 is $2600, and every year they make a new version...the upgrade costs $900!

Solidworks? That is so expensive that they don't even post a price online! Oh, and you have to pay a subscription fee once you buy the product...otherwise they will not let you have bug fixes!

Now, if I high school student wants to learn photoshop, flash, and solidworks they only have three options:
1.) Pirate the software
2.) Rob a bank
3.) Sell lots of crack to fellow students

1112.5.2010 04:21

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Solidworks? That is so expensive that they don't even post a price online! Oh, and you have to pay a subscription fee once you buy the product...otherwise they will not let you have bug fixes!
I found SolidWorks via Google, it's listed in the shopping results as an "educational bundle" for teacher and student for $489, the "Student edition" requires proof of student status and costs $100. Both expire 12 months after registration!

I love how they claim 43% of software worldwide is pirated. At an increase of 2% per year, assuming they don't further inflate their fake numbers, that means in four years over half of all software is non-legit, amazing!

1212.5.2010 05:37

xboxdvl2, I hope you don't get paid at your job. Because thinking all software should be free is the same as saying that people should get paid. I think it's normal that software costs money, the same way as it's normal that I have to pay a mechanic to fix my car.
Your example of the suburu is exactly the way shareware works.

Obviously those piracy numbers are fake, because hundreds of people who use a pirated version of Photoshop would never buy it. If they can't pirate it, they will use something much cheaper. Still, it affects the industry, but not the company that's being pirated.

1312.5.2010 08:57

actually i dont even work and i get money.its unemployment benefits and if it didnt exist crime rates would be through the roof and there would be too many poor people.

As for photoshop i learnt to use it in high school was on the schools computer.maybe software shouldnt be free but it should at least be at a reasonable price or an affordable price.the less it costs the buyer the more buyers it will have and the profits may be lower per sale but higher in the long run due to more sales.

do they even have anti-piracy laws in most parts of asia???

1412.5.2010 11:52

Imaginary losses are imaginary, if you can not make the sell via good deals and support then in fact you have made a loss.

1513.5.2010 18:02

one question,
how much of this pirated software would be purchased IF there was no other choice?

many download pirated copies for the simple reason it is overpriced and no way in hell could they ever afford it otherwise.

so much crap has to be paid for, insurance, taxes, high medical costs, 50 bucks for the cheapest internet connection... list goes on

speaking of taxes, they will soon be charging you a tax on the methane produced from your farts. so really taxes should be listed about 500 times in my list.

1614.5.2010 08:56
mickas
Inactive

How can you lose something that you never actually had....

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive