1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help going from PC to DVDR75 via firewire

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gfrobe, May 17, 2004.

1. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

I downloaded a TV show in mpeg format that I wanted to put onto a DVD+RW. I have Sony Vegas and set my firewire port as output. However, with cam2 selected on recorder, it says "No Signal". I tried choosing a function called "Print to DV Tape" but then it started rendering my mpeg, which was going to take an hour. Can I go straight from MPEG to DVD and if so, how do I get the recorder to recognize the signal?

Thanks

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

What make and model is your DVD recorder?

3. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

It's a Philips DVDR75. And I'm using a laptop with a firewire pcmcia card.

thanks

4. eboy123

eboy123 Member

I have this same DVD recorder and had the same question. I'd like to be able to transfer from computer to the DVDR75. Let me know what you find; I don't even have a laptop yet...

I posted a question about this in the General Forum, but so far there have been no bites.

5. duchy

duchy Member

buy a digital stablizer unit

6. scigghio

scigghio Member

HOW CAN I RECORD FORM A MAC G4 TO A PIONEER DVR-3100 DVD REC WITH A FIREWIRE CABLE ? THANKS

7. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

I don't think a stabilizer has anything to do with it. There is no signal present at all...

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Ouch. Their website is a son of a gun to navigate. Now they do mention their "I-link" which is their fancy name for the firewire input. And all they have to say about it is: "Create a DVD from any source using the i.LINK digital connection." Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have a feeling you might be using 2 different and incompatable formats. For example, you can use RCA cable to transfer audio, or they can be used to transfer video. That does not mean that you can copy video to your cassette deck; even though you are still using the RCA cable.

By the same token, I think the firewire input port on your Philips may be designed to accept input from a digital camcorder, and not directly from a computer. Philips adds features like this one, so you'll be more inclined to buy one of their camcorders with the I-link out.

I could be wrong, however. This might warrant a call to Philips. If you do get any info please be sure to let us know.

9. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

I've seen literature from Philips that also says the i-link can be hooked up to personal computers. Again though, no specifics.

I've heard about their customer service (or lack of) but will give the phone call a shot.

10. schreiner

schreiner Member

On their customer service site (http://www.p4c.philips.com/)in the interactive self help section under connectivity topics you can find more specifics how to hook up the DVDR75 to a PC:

Problem:[bold]Connect a computer with I-link.[/bold]
    Solution: Connect an I-link cable (not supplied) to the recorder's 'DV' input on the front (behind cover) and to the corresponding output of the computer. To display the signal on the TV, select channel CAM2 on the recorder and make sure the correct TV input is selected.

Problem:How to connect a computer with S-video.
    Solution
    1.Connect the S-video cable to the recorder's 'S-VIDEO' input at the front (behind cover) and to the corresponding output of the computer.
    2. Connect the audio cable to the recorder's 'AUDIO LEFT/RIGHT' input (white/red) at the front and to the corresponding output of the computer's sound card. To display the signal on the TV, select channel CAM1 on the recorder and make sure the correct TV input is selected.

Problem: How to connect a computer with video (CVBS).
    Solution
    1.Connect the video cable to the recorder's 'VIDEO' input (yellow) at the front (behind cover) and to the corresponding output of the computer.
    2.Connect the audio cable to the recorder's 'AUDIO LEFT/RIGHT' input (white/red) at the front and to the corresponding output of the computer's sound card. To display the signal on the TV, select channel CAM1 on the recorder and make sure the correct TV input is selected.

Problem: How to connect a computer via an S-Video converter.
    Solution
    1.Connect the S-video cable to the recorder's 'S-VIDEO' input at the front (behind cover) and to the corresponding output of the converter box.
    2.Connect the converter to the VGA output of the computer.
    3.Connect the audio cable to the recorder's 'AUDIO LEFT/RIGHT' input (white/red) at the front and to the corresponding output of the computer's sound card. To display the signal on the TV, select channel CAM1 on the recorder and make sure the correct TV input is selected.

Problem:How to connect a computer via a video (CVBS) converter.
    Solution
    1.Connect the video cable to the recorder's 'VIDEO' input (yellow) at the front (behind cover) and to the corresponding output of the converter.
    2.Connect the converter to the VGA output of the computer.
    3.Connect the audio cable to the recorder's 'AUDIO LEFT/RIGHT' input (white/red) at the front and to the corresponding output of the computer's sound card. To display the signal on the TV, select channel CAM1 on the recorder and make sure the correct TV input is selected.

How to connect a PC graphics card.
    Solution
    Check the manual of the computer, graphics card or converter for connectivity options. If the computer does not have an I-Link (IEEE1394/FireWire) output or a Video/S-Video output you will need a converter (VGA to Video/S-Video).

Problem: The computer does not have any TV output.
    Solution
    Connecting a computer is only possible when it has a graphics card with TV output or when using a special converter. If the computer does not have an I-Link (IEEE1394/FireWire) output or a Video/S-Video output you will need a converter (VGA to Video/S-Video).

11. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I've done what it says (connect PC firewire to DVR I-link and chosen Cam 2) but no luck. I think the key is finding software that allow you to direct a signal out of the firewire port of computer (it's a PCMCIA card). Vegas had an option to send footage out to DV but it started rendering and I didn't want to wait hours. Really what I was hoping for was to be able to download a TV show (Mpeg) and then just make a DVD in real time. Been searching a lot on web and it's not looking possible.

12. schreiner

schreiner Member

In the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhilipsDVDRecorderTalk/ there was a thread called [bold]Connecting your computer to the FireWire input[/bold].

Date: Sat Feb 7, 2004 10:36 am

Managed to copy video stored into my laptop to DVD+RW with DVDR75 via Firewire using Windows Movie Maker (click send to camera and press rec on dvdr). Problem is, it takes ages! (like 2mn for a 15sec clip).

Date: Wed Mar 3, 2004 7:26 am
    Subject: Re: ... interrested to know how you manage to record from your PC

After editing my videos, I use the "Print To Tape" option in Adobe Premier, MovieMaker2 ... more;). This allows me to get my edited videos on mini-DV & DVDR80 via the 1394 Firewire.

In http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=665339 forum donpedro writes:

13. zardo

zardo Member

Hi,

your problem is:

you want to play back some mp2-file via firewire which is connected to the philips dvd-writer.

1. Solution: As the I-Link normally supports mini-DV-Video, you would have to render your mp2-file first into the mini-DV-format. This takes ages, and you will probably have to buy some additional external hard disk as mini-DV eats up hard disk space faster than anything else.

2. Solution: Find somebody who really knows about the hidden secrets of philips dvd-r75. You want to treat it as an external DVD-writer, connected via firewire as pc peripheral. You would need drivers on the pc-side, the philips should get a "drive" letter assiged and DVD-content should become visible, and you would need some burning program like nero to command the philips via PC. Actually, I don't know if the philips has this functionality. I heard some rumours, but it is not officially advertised.

14. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

Zardo, your second solution sounds really interesting (if true).

Anyone else aware of this secret function of the R75 and how to make it work?

Thanks
    gfrobe

15. zardo

zardo Member

Hi,

yesterday night I have been searching the net for more information about this issue, without succes.

In general, stand-alone DVD recorders are "not wanted" to have this functionality because of copy-right protection frenzy.

And firmware-updates are not via I-Link, but via burned CD, that's odd (probably because not everybody has firewire on their PC)

So finally I think that unfortunately these rumours are really nothing more but rumours :-(

16. gfrobe

gfrobe Member

I sort of figured. As I understand, DVD recorders can only accept a video signal and not data as a DVD writer does.

Thanks.