AfterDawn: Tech news

What Sony learned from PSPGo 'experiment'

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 09 Jun 2010 1:06 User comments (13)

What Sony learned from PSPGo 'experiment' Speaking to MCV, Sony Europe president Andre House says the release of the Sony PSPGo handheld was a test of how consumers would accept digital gaming and the end of physical media.
While the handheld was a complete failure, Sony says it was a good test of the company's future plans in the sector.

Says House: "It was introduced in a mature lifecycle to learn more about what the consumer wanted and we’ve definitely learnt a lot. Is that measured by success in sales? I don’t think it is."

He continues: "One of the reasons we launched PSPgo was to understand where that consumer behaviour was going. We were getting signals from consumers that this was the kind of device that they wanted. But we need to recognise that consumers like their packaged media library."

As far as a "test" goes, Sony certainly overstated consumer willingness to pay an $80 premium for a device that is limited to only digital gaming and adds little else of value.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

19.6.2010 01:18

So are you going to add another analog stick.

29.6.2010 01:38

Poor retailers that got stuck with this crap and have about 50 of them sitting on their shelves just waiting to have markdowns taken on them.

39.6.2010 03:54

Sony learned something? Haw, that'll be the day.

49.6.2010 04:36

What a load of crap.

-People were saying that they do not like UMD, not that they did not want physical media.
-Charging $80 more for a device with fewer features is hardly a test of willingness to move to a download-only platform. If they had charged the same or less for the GO (it cost less to make after all), then it might have been a good test...if you ignore the 500,000 units on ebay.
-Where is mobile gaming going? TO SMARTPHONES! How dumb are the CEOs at sony to think that people would want to carry around a phone and a PSP with them everywhere they go? And if you are not bringing it with you everywhere, then what is the point of mobile gaming? If sony had made the Go as a phone, then it would have done very well. Unfortunately, they missed the boat...and now there are so many great phones with gaming capabilities that they might have trouble pushing a PSPhone.

59.6.2010 04:41
davidike
Inactive

they learned that people dont want to be ripped off by the fecktards at sony (and other companies) blocking resale of legitimately purchased software.

Quote:
Is that measured by success in sales? I don’t think it is.
what a ****, so sony's future plan is to find another way to rip off gamers by forcing digital content down their throat, blocking resale of purchased content thus destroying the second hand market.

btw you dont see car manufactures demanding monies from the sale of second hand cars do you?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jun 2010 @ 4:42

69.6.2010 04:58

Originally posted by davidike:
btw you dont see car manufactures demanding monies from the sale of second hand cars do you?
Nope; some companies even extend the factory warranty to the second owner.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that applies directly. Sony does not charge you to sell a PSP...only the games. One might argue that the games are to the PSP what the gasoline is to the car.

79.6.2010 13:51

Originally posted by TBandit:
So are you going to add another analog stick.
Lol I know right, I'm just gonna give a +1 on this comment cause I post that everywhere I see a psp convo going on lol. (Jackasses as sony) What a waste of company revenue ...pspgo?????

89.6.2010 21:29

It was a test...yea right! Sony got PSPgo all wrong.

910.6.2010 04:44
davidike
Inactive

Originally posted by killerBug:
Unfortunately, I am not sure that applies directly. Sony does not charge you to sell a PSP...only the games. One might argue that the games are to the PSP what the gasoline is to the car.
i think you'll find thats batteries. they are removing our right of ownership so they can squeeze as much money out of people as possible, they aint happy with X times millions, now they are finding ways to monetise second hand sales, and dont give a **** about what their customers think about it!

1010.6.2010 11:41

They make a handheld console that's had only small improvements in 5 years but for its launch price, it's £30 cheaper than a PS3.

Also, UMD is removed for PSP-1000-3000 users and the battery is not replaceable, so the battery can die and users can't choose to upgrade their battery life.

The PSPGo was overpriced for something that we've seen in 2005.

1114.6.2010 12:50

Their biggest failure right from the beginning was charging far too much for the thing. So what if they lost money on it? They would have made it back with the games on a larger market base.

This is were they really blew it, however. When it was announced a PSPhone was on the cards there was a great deal of renewed interest in the device. Didn't happen, did it? People were really keen on that happening... but bupkiss.

Fools... I don't think they learnt anything from the PSPGo "experiment". It was right in front of their eyes anyway what to do.

PS: Yeah, and adding the second stick would have been a good idea too... still would have been backwards compatible with the old PSP games but would have allowed the porting over of so many old titles that it would have been ridiculous.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jun 2010 @ 12:52

1214.6.2010 16:57

My understanding was that it rendered your current library of PSP titles useless. There was no way get credit for any of the games you legally purchased and no way to sell the game to someone else with a Go once you were done playing the game.

All big fails IMO. I'm unsure if it was possible to transfer games to a new Go if yours died, either.

1319.6.2010 20:09

SONY ARE DUMB! Test to see wht consumers want!? Are you F'ing serious? EVERY forum or post you go to that is PSP related has atleast a dozen people requesting an extra analog stick. Seriously are they that scared of the mobile phone gaming market? Yes I know there's people who want everything in one and don't want to carry an extra device but some of us don't like to kill our phone batteries on games. All Sony needs to do is freaking go on forums and posts and see wht their customers are asking for Geeze! It's not rocket science, create a damn poll for gods sake. feel if they just improve on hardware they won't have to worry to much about not selling. Bring us better improved screens, higher res, extra Analog stick, improve the button layout sligtly, better processing power and ram, I could keep going. We would buy for these improvements! More game choice. Better GPU that a cell phone can't provide and we be happy campers. Perhaps throw in one of those 3D screens or something. Better D-Pad.
I

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Jun 2010 @ 8:15

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive