1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transcoding tutorial videos (mp4 + variable framerate)

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by SinoWaver, Jun 11, 2010.

1. SinoWaver

SinoWaver Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to transcode some tutorials that are dvd based(vob) so that they are smaller and more portable. My current preference is with mp4/nero aac (depending on content, i also use xvid/mp3 variable for different transcodes).

with mp4, what are the main settings I should be looking at where the content is fully screen-capped video? I've read about variable frame-rate, but is there a way to enforce it? any main settings I should be looking at apart from 2-pass encoding (turbo first pass)?

The general software I use are either: mediacoder or handbrake...are there any other encoders that you may recommend? (i've tried and not liked ripbot)

Thanks for any helpful info!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Give Avidemux or StaxRip a try.

3. SinoWaver

SinoWaver Member

Thanks davexnet! I'll give those a good testing! xD

Currently I'm testing "xmedia recode" and getting great/fast results on my quad core and will test your suggested apps in these days after work.

Any ideas about "variable framerate" and how to force them when encoding to x264? (It seems the perfect soloution for videoCap tutorials.)

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I've had some luck with xmedia recode also. Seems a worthwhile addition.

Regarding VFR recording in x264, I've no idea. I haven't spent long enough with the
    encoder and its settings.

Perhaps the experts in the video conversion forum at videohelp.com could assist further.