AfterDawn: Tech news

'Twilight' cam 'pirate' sues movie theater

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Jul 2010 12:52 User comments (17)

'Twilight' cam 'pirate' sues movie theater In December of last year we reported that a 22-year old woman was arrested in Chicago for recording three minutes of the newest "Twilight" film with a digital camera at the movie theater, and was forced to spend two days in jail awaiting a hearing.
Samantha Tumpach faced up to three years in jail after being charged for criminal use of a motion picture exhibition.

Making the situation worse was the fact that Tumpach wasn't filming the movie and was instead taping parts of her sister's birthday party, which was taking place at the movie theater. Although the movie is in the background in clips, there are longer clips of family and friends singing happy birthday to Tumpach's sister at the theater. The situation was met with justifiable outrage from almost everyone who read about it, including the director of "Twilight: New Moon," who said the woman should have the charges dropped.

Fortunately, a week later, the prosecutors tossed out the case against her, and apologized for the time she had to spend in a holding cell.

This week, Tumpach has filed a civil suit, claiming the theater, the local police and the MPAA all recommended arresting her.

Tumpach is claiming emotional distress and malicious prosecution by the theater. The MPAA pays out a $500 award to any employee that catches consumers filming a movie with cameras, camcorders or phones.

One of the clips captured by the young lady was 85 seconds of her "favorite actor taking his shirt off."

Tumpach is seeking $50,000 in damages.

Previous Next  

17 user comments

13.7.2010 13:44

Only 50 grand is it even worth it the lawyers fees wil cost that & more me thinks more so if it gets dragged out

23.7.2010 14:17

Just in general, if you're going to sue, include legal fees so you're covered there too.

33.7.2010 14:42

It will be covered. The victor usually gets legal fee's covered on top of $50,000. Still considering the MPAA and RIAA try for millions, I would have at least sued for $500,000. Sure you'd never get it, but at least you prolly get more than $50,000.

43.7.2010 17:09

oh I read this last year, I hope she sues them

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jul 2010 @ 5:10

54.7.2010 06:16

i said it at the time she had the charges dropped and i will say it again.she should be suing for slandering.she was labelled as a pirate and criminal all over the internet.im in australia and i know her name from the article.just thing how many other people have heard of her.

64.7.2010 07:49

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
i said it at the time she had the charges dropped and i will say it again.she should be suing for slandering.she was labelled as a pirate and criminal all over the internet.im in australia and i know her name from the article.just thing how many other people have heard of her.
I agree with you there. Just the phrase "filming twilight" and I already knew what the article was about. She should file for slander as well.

74.7.2010 12:34

get them for the most and anything the court has cost you depression,worry,money,food,lawyer fees anything they deserve getting it slammed in their face just like they do other taxpayers

86.7.2010 00:46

I love it...she should also sue them for piracy; as they made copies of her video without her permission!

96.7.2010 13:54

surprised the RIAA didn't try and sue for a public performance of happy birthday seems like something they would do.

but ya should should have asked for alot more.

106.7.2010 17:50

Goes around comes around.

116.7.2010 17:50

Originally posted by jos22:
surprised the RIAA didn't try and sue for a public performance of happy birthday seems like something they would do.

but ya should should have asked for alot more.

True

127.7.2010 00:41

Originally posted by jos22:
They would have, but they were too busy trying to build a case against her and her horrible crime that deprived them of so many sales.

139.7.2010 09:50

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:

We also need to add libel, false imprisonment, racketeering, punitive damages and demand to "Make an example" of them as they do to us.

When this case gets thrown out and they refuse to prosecute, it will just again show that our legal system is NOT abut justice, but corporate fascist protection and perpetuation of economic slavery.

1412.7.2010 15:06

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Only 50 grand is it even worth it the lawyers fees wil cost that & more me thinks more so if it gets dragged out
No, her lawyer will likely work for a cut of the profits and the amount will go up drastically ( a few thousand times) when she gets her lawyer.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jul 2010 @ 3:08

1513.7.2010 09:48
R
Unverified new user

She's taking a big chance here. She did record part of the movie, so she was guilty of the crime she was held for. The case was dropped due to bad publicity, not due to her being innocent. Even though she didn't have criminal intent, she did commit the crime. If I walk out of the grocery store without paying for my gallon of milk, I've committed a crime regardless of whether my intent was to steal the milk or if I was just being absent minded. If the MPAA has the option of reinstating the charges, this could totally backfire on her.

That said, it's a good gamble. She has no case, but she clearly has public opinion on her side. Just check out the comments here. The MPAA could give her a settlement just to appease public opinion.

161.8.2010 08:01

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I love it...she should also sue them for piracy; as they made copies of her video without her permission!

LOL, good one killer

171.8.2010 09:38

Originally posted by R:
She's taking a big chance here. She did record part of the movie, so she was guilty of the crime she was held for. The case was dropped due to bad publicity, not due to her being innocent. Even though she didn't have criminal intent, she did commit the crime. If I walk out of the grocery store without paying for my gallon of milk, I've committed a crime regardless of whether my intent was to steal the milk or if I was just being absent minded. If the MPAA has the option of reinstating the charges, this could totally backfire on her.

That said, it's a good gamble. She has no case, but she clearly has public opinion on her side. Just check out the comments here. The MPAA could give her a settlement just to appease public opinion.
yes but if the checkout operater packed a carton of milk in your shopping bag and didnt charge you for it then they can't charge you for shop lifting.just like if im filming a birthday party and someone puts a copyrighted film on in the background.I'd be filming the party so it wouldnt be my fault if a movie ended up in the background.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive