1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to burn avi to cd-r

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rappa69, Oct 5, 2002.

1. rappa69

rappa69 Member

how can i burn my avi movie from kazaa to a cd-r or cd-rw so i can play it on my dvd-player instead of watching on my computer? I need a step by step way to do it. thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

You would need to encode the avi to vcd!

Try opening the file in TMPGEnc.

When you open TMPGEnc, you will get the wizard, you can use this to easily make this. Just choose vcd (pal for europe, ntsc for america). When they ask for the video & audio source, just click browse on the video source and it will automatically load the audio from it.

Click next, and click other settings. Change motion search precision to Highest Quality.

Click next a few more times and TMPGEnc will start encoding.

When its finished, it will be bigger than 800mb so click file - mpeg tools. Click merge and cut.

Click add and browse for the movies you just created with TMPGEnc. When it loads in, select it and click edit. You will see two buttons "{" and "}". Basically mean start and end.

Drag the slider accross to around 80min and click }. Now click OK. Change the file type at the top to Video CD. Now browse for somewhere to put the output 1st split of the file. Click Run.

Now when thats done, thats the movie you will have on the first cd. Click edit again. This time, click the { button where you left off last time. Now drag the slider right to the very end and click the } button.

Click ok - browse for a source to place the output 2nd split. This will be your second cd.

You now need cd writing software. I will assume Nero Burning Rom. http://www.nero.com .

When nero loads, you will either get a new compilation window or a wizard. If you get the wizard click close wizard. Now the window will open with loads of different cd types listed on the left.

Choose Video CD and click new. You will see the vcd compilation window and a file browser. Use the file browser to find the first movie and drag it to the compilation. Click file - write cd. Repeat the step to create the second cd.

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Great instructions Dela! I normally just give links to guides, but this one takes the cake!

4. Dela

Ah, ya know, it gets a bit quite in here sometimes, so you need to just waste a bit of time until someone else needs a bit of help.

I have a lot of free time on my hands lately so there'll be plenty more of these to come!

5. bagdad

bagdad Guest

I need to know how to burn a video cd using Adaptec easy cd creator 4, so it will play on a jvc dvd/vcd/cd player.

6. Speedy863

Speedy863 Guest

Hello, I downloaded TMPGEnc and I tryed to open a .avi in it (The moive was 8mile from KaZaA) anyways, alot of my avis tell me this (even small ones) it says . . .

File "C:\Program Files\Kazaa\My Shared Files\8Mile1of2.avi" can not open, or unsupported

so what da freakazica does that mean?

Speedy

7. Dela

It means that TMPGEnc cannot read the file. This may be because you have the improper codecs installed. Visit the software link on this page and click "Video Codecs & Filters" and stock up on em. then visit http://www.tmdmoviez.com and click download. Get that codec too.

At this point you are going to have to get VirtualDUB. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

Now that you have codecs, open VirtualDUB and click File - Open. Open your avi file. If it cannot read the avi file, congratulations, you downloaded a fake file! If you do get the movie then there is a little process you must do before you can open it in TMPGEnc.

1. In VirtualDUB, click video and select "Direct Stream Copy".

2. Click Audio and select "Full Processing Mode".

3. Click Audio again and click Compression. Select "No Compression PCM" (should be first option" and click ok.

4. Click file and click "save avi". The avi file you save will be bigger than the source file but TMPGEnc will be able to read it.

NOTE however that with Kazaa you probably have downloaded a fake file anyway but you should remember the above procedure because, trust me, you will need it at some stage.

Oh yes and also, I must mention that you are breaking the law by downloading copyrighted material but more importantly, you are breaking the forum rules by posting about it. You even said the name of the movie you have downloaded but since I don't have administrative powers on this forum the only thing I can do is advise you against posting about it because I have seen numurous people barred over it!. (Just thought I'd add that in there, Im not giving out or anything cause it isnt my forum but the guys who own it could really do without piracy on it!)

8. derwin

derwin Member

i am loosing audio during encoding video is fine
    just no audio.any suggestions or fixes for this problem.thanks

9. Dela

What is the audio stream at present??? (just like 44100hz 224kbits/sec etc..)

10. derwin

derwin Member

it is 44100 hz 224kb

11. Dela

Actually, what I meant was the source audio from the movie before it was encoded. Could help to encode the video and audio seperately and then multiplex em.

12. derwin

derwin Member

the stream type is mpeg-1 audio layer ll it is an avi file from kazaa.is there a way to correct this before or after encoding. thanks

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  13. VCDjunkie

Derwin, follow instructions from Dela 23 Nov 2002 9:30 PM.

14. stive22

stive22 Guest

Dela - thanks for the "how to burn avi to cd-r" step by step process, but I have a problem. Maybe I should have posted this in a newbie area, but anyway, I get an error message "File d:\My Videos\Tommy_Boy_DVDRip-DivX-KSi.mpg can not be created." I get this message when I start the step to encode "TMPGEnc will start encoding". Can you help? I noticed the error message below your steps was different than mine or I would have tried those downloads.

Thanks,
    Stive22

15. Dela

This is a common problem with TMPGEnc. Try moving the avi to a different folder and especially one that isnt shared by any p2p apps.

16. stive22

stive22 Guest

Thanks Dela. The file is encoding right now because of moving the file. I also reviewed some other threads where you can go in a click on the various options.

Another quick question, in the above steps you so kindly outlined, could I have selected the SVCD format? And, perhaps better asked, if I'm reading correctly, the SVCD is better, why would I not want to select it?

17. Dela

1. In TMPGEnc, MPEG-2 encoding takes much longer than MPEG-1

2. This is an avi, so you probably wont be able to improve on vcd quality anyway so theres no point. However when rippin dvd'd always use svcd, its much better.

3. VCD's are compatible with much more players than svcd's.

18. stive22

stive22 Guest

Thanks again.

6 hours later and 99% encoded and I get an error message. "Read error occurred at address 00402f3c of module 'TMPGenc.exe' with 6A4E61D3. I don't have a clue what this means except if I've run into the FAT32 problem. Should I post this someplace else or can you help?

19. VCDjunkie

does not sound like a FAT32 problem at all, possibly an incompatiblity with your O/S and the version of TMPGenc you are using.. try using a different version, possibly an updated version if you don't already have the latest. The error you wrote is talking about not being able to read from a memory address, so it could also be possible that you are out of physical and/or virtual memory.. try closing out background programs and services before running the app.

best of luck!

20. Dela

The only problem as far as I know that TMPGEnc has with FAT32 is the 4gig filesize issue. However, creating a vcd, I'd really doubt its over 4 gigs :). You're not the first to get messages like this! I used to always get that with 2.56 and I'm using 2.59 now and I have no trouble!