1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition, what do I need besides a Decrypter?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Denzien, May 26, 2004.

1. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

Just wondering. I see shrinking options and Menu Authoring in Nero Recode 2. Besides the obvious decryption need, what else do I need?

Is Nero as good as everything else? Or is it a coaster factory?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DeeVeeDee[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  2. brian100

brian100 Guest

You need patience!!..Hopefully not too much.

Nero is used on this forum widely, although I dont use it at all. You should be ok..

3. woof811

woof811 Regular member

as you have nero 6 which has nero recode 2 , you will need dvd decrypter because nero only shrinks it cant rip .
    when you use decrypter make sure you rip in file mode and then open nero recode 2 and load in the ripped files then away you go .

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You can get dvd43(free), it will move encryption and then go straight into nero to do whatever. Nero is awesome, this is from someone who has spent a lot of bucks and installed a lot of freeware. Nero is NO coaster factory. [​IMG]

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Might also try DVD Shrink.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nero is great for burning but recode 2 is less than it could be. Use DVD Shrink to rip and compress and Nero to burn.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey sophocles, thanx for HD tip(oh yeah, I bought a western) but I disagree on recode 2. Everyone has their own opinion and I'm the first to admit mine's not worth much. I think it does a better job than shrink(sometimes shrink has a snag with certain movies, especially the audio sync) and is easier and faster. You can also take out menu items without destroying the menu function, plus once in there you just go directly to burn,do not pass go..... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hey bigorange, what is your lil recipe for Recode2? Sorry its off topic :)

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey flip, here we go again-1- use anydvd or dvd43 in background to rip. 2-open recode and hit dvd to dvd 3- hit import dvd and wait to analyze(about a minute) 4-take out whatever you want by clicking on that particular title and disabling, it will offer you a substitute picture to go where each item has been disabled or you can put in your own(picture, clip, poster,etc.) With your savvy you know to click on the + mark to get sub-titles in extras. Here you use the preview slider to see what you want to keep and what you want to disable. This is really all you need to disable to reduce compression, altho I have left everything in if there's not a LOT of action and compressed almost 50% and ended up with a great picture. It lays everything out real nice for you so it's easy to understand. I would leave the menu alone cos it doesn't use much space and it will fully function with your movie. OK, 5-hit next and check burn at once and advanced analysis, Be sure to check BOTH. 6-hit burn and wait 45-60 minutes. done- Hope this helps Wheweeeee, I'm tired after all that! Gonna have to go talk with Jack. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Shrink is good for its re-author function and for compressing smaller type 9 movies.Its interface with Nero is also a plus. If the movie exceeds 6.5 gigs then I use DVD Decrypter and DVD2one which in my opinion does a better job compressing large files. I was able to successfully backup Return Of The King, which is more than 3 hours in length and a very large file. There were no artifacts, the color was somewhat diminished and the picure wasn't quite as sharp but the result was decidedly superior to VHS. DVD2one also interfaces with CopyToDvd just as Shrink does with Nero.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Totally agree about shrink and decrypter. Have used dvd2one, but not a lot., I also backed up the same movie in recode and it did a great job(viewed on a 56"HDTV) [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Like everyone here, I have an arsenal of applications that fit my every need. I like DVD2one not only for its ability to successfully compress large files, but also for its compression speed. Another application that I use is CopyToDvd, after I've ripped a movie with DVD Decrypter I need only click DVD video, locate the file click it and walk away. I'm not sure if a lot of people here use it but I've had great success with it. I especailly like its interface with DVD2one. I use Shrink and Nero about 50% and DVD2one with CopyToDvd the other 50%. I also have a copy of InverVideo DVDcopy which I picked up at SAM's club for $16. I use it only on occassion but with success.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I really like the quality recode 2 does,like i said 50% compression on the Lord...and can't tell the difference with the source, but with the speed it IS slower than dvd2one. Like you say, I got a screen full of icons, 80% of which deal with video editing. Arsenal is an apt term for it. It's kinda fun to use different ones as long as they perform. [​IMG]

14. ronan

ronan Guest

hi all can i say sumot on dvd shrink,1st of all its a free encoding or re-athouring tool.if u use it correctly u can just drag the main movie out- then bk it up how easy is that .ok we all like it to be able to change the actuall aspect picture from 16.9 to 4.3 so on? but hay wat tool does.secondly? u cant grumble on the dvdshrink tool itself, as i have no proplems with it all.its to do with your hardware set up- get a good ATI card fast cpu good motherboard and a pioneer 107d hacked to rip at x12 with 8x speed on all 4xspeed media THEN U SEE 1-1 COPIES,dvdshrink? done harry potter 3 in 5-6 mins-then burnt it in 3:14 with dvdclone 2.8. 4 off the hdd, i have the photo to prove it was done at this speed.so dont blame dvdshrink or decrypter or so on take a look at your specs on your pc.i hope im not cheeky but you all complain about software have a look at your hardware and the way its configured then complain lol see u all

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Ronan, first off, nothing wrong with my hardware and it's configured just fine. Two-I know how to use shrink and it is a good piece of freeware, it's what I started out with. Three- it ain't the best tool out there. Any re-authoring destroys menu function, not to mention recode and instantcopy both have better video with the same amount of compression and keep menu with re-authoring. Four- A lot of us like to know more than one way. Five- By doing this you will find better tools for backing up your dvd's. Six-Who's complaining, it's a forum and we call it discussion. Seven-I'm not in a race, I prefer quality over speed Plus recode ain't all that slow. Eight- Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Nine- what the hell is "sumot"? PS- Hope I'm not being cheeky. lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My system: All home built.

P4 2.8@3.149 Ghz (zalman high speed fan0
    Asus P4PE mainboard
    2X western digital 120 gig special editions in a raid (in the process of replacing with 2 74 gig Raptors..
    2 gigs of Corsair Cas2 PC 3200
    Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
    HIS Excalibur ICEq ATI 9800 PRO
    Plextor PX-712A DVD burner
    Samsung SM-352 Combo Drive
    Leadtek XP pro TV tuner
    All in a Zantec server tower with 420w true power PSU

I realize it’s getting old but it’s faster then just about anything you can buy in a store even today, unless you’ve got some serious bucks to spend.

Now let me say that shrink is ok for free but just about anything you buy produces a better picture.

17. ronan

ronan Guest

toushie ma friend i was aiming to relize that good harware and configured correctly most dvd compression tools are for long in time, in the past ive used loads of shrinking tools and u do get results with most software avaliable mostly the same quality.i get 1-1 copying with dvdclone after i have shrunk with dvdshrink.i dont use nero for dvd-video, only nero for audio,iso,bin and cue files thats the best software for those things.yes i do admit that instant dvd copy with pinnicale is good but it takes too long,but i prosume its the quality they capture that takes a while dvdshrink to me does the same but aspect ratio is another different thing.have you tryed dvdclone2 thats a good tool www.elby.chnot hard feelings ppl if u felt offended.i have been diong dvds for 4-5 yrs now and dvdshrink is still a winner for me,ps used just about all dvd software there is:this is my method and i stick to it dvdshrink to hard drive open dvdclone open folder on hard drive write the title then press write how simple ,the quality has no loss,but with nero u do ok ppl thanks

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I can rip LOTR in 30 seconds and burn it in 2:05. Beat that :)

Next I'm going to try ripping the disc with my ESP powers and then burn it with lasers out of my eyes.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Ronan, I've tried them all and it comes down to these programs in order.

1. DVD Rebuilder/CCE basic best picture but slow even on a fast system and not compatible with some movies.

2.Intervideo's DVDcopy2 Best transcoder picture period but costs $80

3. Pinnacles Intant Copy Picture almost as good as DVDcopy good a lot slower and a lot less money $30

4. DVD2one not as good as instant copy but faster and much better than what will follow $30

5. Nero recode fast and adjustable just as Shrink is but it has a better picture cost $50 to $79 but comes with the entire Ultra suite.

6. DVD Shrink works good and the price can't be beat but the difference between its pciture quality (especially on larger files) and the top choice here, DVDcopy 2 is obvious to the eye without even looking hard. I know DVD Shrink inside and out and I hope that its author continues to improve it but it's not good enough for me. I spend a lot of money on media and I want the best quality I can get. The top 3 are not just a little better but considerably better, better color sharper picure and contast with most copies appearing to be literally to the eye 1:1.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Ronan you got to publish those specs and tell me how to do it.

[bold]Next I'm going to try ripping the disc with my ESP powers and then burn it with lasers out of my eyes.[/bold] LOL

Nephilium, when this card first came out I looked everywhere and they were only avilable in Europe. Then they arrived to North America for $399. Newegg has them for $239. free shipping. I know that its not an XT but it can get pretty close. My core is at 427 and Ram at 366 with out even a burb. This thing was a monster or rather an aluminum brick with a video card attached.

[​IMG]