1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up cable box and blu ray player to surround sound

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by m0use, Sep 1, 2010.

1. m0use

m0use Member

Hey guys, I've run into a wall and can't find a solution. I want to hook both my cable box and blue ray player to my surround sound. Currently, my setup goes like this:

-HDMI from cable box to TV
    -optical cable from cable box to optical in on the receiver

Everything works nicely. Now I want to hook up my blu ray player. As for video, I guess I'll just connect the HDMI to the TV. What do I do about surround sound though? There is an optical out on the back of the blu ray player, but there is only one optical in slot on the back of my receiver. There is also an HDMI slot on the receiver. Thanks for all the help!

edit: the HDMI slot on the receiver is HDMI out. The receiver is a Panasonic SA-PT760 and the TV is a Panasonic TH-50PZ85U. I'm also using a comcast cable box.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

You are finding out why HTIBs (home theater in a box) aren't recommended, when people ask what they should get. Yes, they're cheap. And you get what you pay for. When I do recommend an HTIB, it's an Onkyo HTIB, because they include a real receiver with plenty of inputs and features. A bit more expensive than what you have though. If it's new enough to return it, do that and get an Onkyo HT-S5300 or higher.

If you must keep what you have, the only option you have is an optical switch: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2 People that have to use them say they work pretty good.
    Good luck!

3. m0use

m0use Member

ah alright, thank you!