1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laserdisc ROM?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Frostyfire03530, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Frostyfire03530

Frostyfire03530 Member

First: I know that this is a section for dvd-r topics, but since AD doesn't have an LD section I warranted that this section would do for a random question.

I have a collection of laserdiscs that I want to archive. Most people take the traditional method of archiving ld's by just plugging the player via s-video and whatnot into a computer and recording audio/video in that method. What I would like to do is rip the disc i it's raw format and have a laserdisc emulator/player on the computer that could play the disc.

My thoughts of being able to do this would be first acquiring the firmware for a laserdisc player itself. Then modifying the firmware of an existing pc-cdrom that is similar to the laserdisc firmware to be used in the laserdisc player itself, to control appropriate drive movements, but could send the data via ide-ribbon. Next, would be mounting the hardware together, ie: the modified firmware and cdrom board to the laserdisc player. As I understand it, there is minimal file structure on a laserdisc, to actually "read" the disc wouldn't be explorer access. The method would have to be similar to ripping audio discs with the CDDA format.

Any input on the feasibility of this project or suggestions would be helpful. I don't know if there are any people that have wanted to accomplish something similar, but I thought I throw it out there.

*Edit*

If there is a mod that knows of a better section this topic could be at, could they move it there, I wasn't too sure on this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Laserdiscs recorded analogue video, not digital. The S-video cable into a PC that can digitize the video is the best, and least expensive method.

3. Frostyfire03530

Frostyfire03530 Member

I think I was thinking on too narrow of terms for what one would define as "data". I have read many posts about using numerous setups to "rip" the video to computers and didn't get the parallel between the two. Thanks for the answer and I'll have to start considering my setup options.