AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple awarded patent to filter text messages

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Oct 2010 2:51 User comments (16)

Apple awarded patent to filter text messages

Filed in 2008 and granted by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office this week, Apple has been awarded a patent for filtering text message content.
The patent is titled "Text-based communication control for personal communication device."

It is unclear whether the patent will ever find its way into an iOS product but it seems Apple's intention is to cut down on "offensive" texts sent from consumers using Apple devices.

Reads the patent: "One problem with text-based communications is that there is no way to monitor and control text communications to make them user appropriate. For example, users such as children may send or receive messages (intentionally or not) with parentally objectionable language."

Additionally, the patent proposes a way to encourage better grammar in texts. The filtering system can not really work without proper grammar, as many phone users write in shorthand or use words that may not necessarily be in a dictionary, like "LOL."

Apple's patent would disallow the use of non-dictionary words.

Previous Next  

16 user comments

114.10.2010 15:07

The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this date!

214.10.2010 15:29

Heil, mein Führer. Sieg Heil, All hail Steve Jobs!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Oct 2010 @ 3:30

314.10.2010 16:14

doesnt bother me.its not likely i will ever own an apple product.not dissing them,just not interested.

414.10.2010 16:21

Oh I'm all for dissing them...Fanboys unite! LOL

Is it just me or does this place seem to be a fount of neverending Apple reports? I mean does anybody really care that much about what every twist and turn Apple takes? Seriously?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Oct 2010 @ 4:24

514.10.2010 16:24

This is pretty cool. Clearly it's something that we'll be able to disable or enable much like every other parental control in settings.

614.10.2010 17:47
ps3lvanub
Inactive

If 'pretty good' is Swahili for 'pretty shit' then yeah, I guess you're right. Who the hell are the to tell an iPhone user (assuming that this has made it into iOS, which it will) what they can and cannot text even if you can turn it off? It's bang out of order. Next they will be patenting software which bleeps out swears on the telephone, the t-*BLEEP*s.

714.10.2010 18:45

Quote:
Next they will be patenting software which bleeps out swears on the telephone, the t-*BLEEP*s.
That could be entertaining under the right drug.

814.10.2010 20:39

edited by ddp off apple.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Oct 2010 @ 7:29

914.10.2010 20:59

Originally posted by aldan:
doesnt bother me.its not likely i will ever own an apple product.not dissing them,just not interested.

Heard that!

1014.10.2010 21:00
Alexei Stushnoff
Unverified new user

Jue fracking didiots if you block em ppl will make up new words.

HAIL APPLE, HAIL APPLE

Heil, mein Führer. Sieg Heil, All hail Steve Jobs!!!

1114.10.2010 22:10

Im from the Philippines where English is a second language. When sending text messages, many use non-dictionary words such as l8r which means later, so that they can fit their message into a 160 character text message. Although this saves money for the consumer, it has actually created a problem since some kids learn these misspelled words and has integrated them into their school assignments. Its called text speak. Whats irritating is that some people use this language in forums. They are actually using these abreviations when using a laptop keyboard.

Telcos will love this since text messages will be longer and will result in sending 2 texts instead of just 1. More cash.

1216.10.2010 18:00

Nice! Give teeny boppers another reason to keep their eyes off of the road for longer periods of time...let's see how accidents go up trying to text "laugh out loud" vs lol.

1317.10.2010 18:49

Originally posted by adre02:
Nice! Give teeny boppers another reason to keep their eyes off of the road for longer periods of time...let's see how accidents go up trying to text "laugh out loud" vs lol.
The world needs fewer idiots anyway. We need more Darwin Award contestants. ;-)

1417.10.2010 21:02

What about the person in the other car? Could be you getting hit.

1512.11.2010 06:31
exoticdi
Inactive

I've never heard anything so ridiculously authoritarian in my life. I'm fully expecting an App to force me to clean my teeth and put my seatbelt on in the near future...

Want to be a free person? Sorry, we've got no app for that. F**k you, apple.

1613.11.2010 02:40

i just noticed a problem

Quote:
Apple's patent would disallow the use of non-dictionary words.
which dictionary are they gonna use???

it should be up to us to decide what we want to text/write not them anyway.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive