1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG BD360-P Cannot Play This File (mpg in XViD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by crmpicco, Nov 26, 2010.

1. crmpicco

crmpicco Member

Hi all,

I have a LG BD360-P and have burned around twenty MPG files to a DVD-R. I've put these discs into my BD player, however after anywhere between 5-20 seconds of playback I get a message "Warning: Cannot Play This File" and playback halts.

I didn't know the codec used, but GSpot told me it is XViD. This is a screenshot of one of the video files:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why this happens? It's frustrating as I have ~4GB of video on a DVD to watch :-/

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Picco

2. attar

attar Senior member

GSpot is indicating that it's an AVI file.
    I can't be sure, but some standalone players have problems with 'GMC' and 'QPEL'(in the GSpot image, they are listed on the top right below 'Codec(s) are NOT installed').

You could load one of the files into AviDemux, use the settings shown and save the file.
    When saving the file give it a full name including the extension, e.g. Test.avi

Check the saved file with GSpot to verify that GMC etc are gone.
    Burn the file to a disk and test in a standalone.

[​IMG]

3. crmpicco

crmpicco Member

Thanks for your reply, i'm encoding this with Avidemux at the moment. Looks like it's going to take ~15mins to do a 22min AVI file. So i'll try it in my LG BD standalone player then and report back.

Cheers,
    Picco

4. crmpicco

crmpicco Member

Thanks very much attar!

I have successfully converted one file, tried it in my BD player and it works fine. Thanks for your help. I'll just need to try and stay away from XViD and QPEL codecs in future as my BD player obviously isn't too keen on them.

Cheers,
    Picco

5. attar

attar Senior member

The XviD (or DivX) codec is fine - just that someone turned on the options for Qpel and GMC when the video was being encoded originally.
    I think you would find that most downloads don't have this.