1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia GTX 460 dvi ports

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xiiaoboii, Dec 4, 2010.

1. xiiaoboii

xiiaoboii Member

Hi all, i dont really know where i should post this and im guessing here would be fine but if it isnt then mods you could kindly remove it:). .

Okay here goes i have an alienware aurora and it comes with a GTX 460, and ive been having all sorts of fun with it until this afternoon. I had a black screen on the moniters that kept saying entering power save mode and no matter how much i try to type on the keyboard or shake the mouse nothing seems to works although i can hear the start up sound and that everytime i pressed backspace there was that sound that was normal when there was nothing to backspace from , so eventually i just opened it up and saw that it have TWO dvi ports so i tried to plug it into the second port and to my amusment it worked perfectly im using it to type this right now. But im just wondering is the other DVI port spoilt or something and could it do anything to my graphic card? as in degrading the quality of the video being displayed and if it will also happen to my second port as well?. i wont be too happy not knowing if the other port might get damaged or not its like walking on a rope blinded.
    I would also like to know if i could get it repaired or not ?.
    Thanks for all the help guys !

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

most likely a bad port as your are able to use the other port ok. is that a laptop or desktop?

3. xiiaoboii

xiiaoboii Member

This is the desktop now dont ask me to go to dell to get it repaired this is exactly what happened . Epic conversation incoming. btw i do now know that its the videocard that is the problem .

RING dingdingidng

customer service officer: Herrlo.

Me: Hi is the customer service for Dell?

Customer service officer: yes welcum tish is del < in an awkward accent, and at a amazing speed that no human ears that i know of can understand (it was on speaker).

Me: Wait what?

Customer service officer: yes welcum tish is del

Me: Errrr ok < explains above problem >

AFTER 10MINS OF EXPLAINING

Customer service officer: ooohh Tish is teh alienware you talking about?

Me: for the past ten minutes? yeeap.

Customer service officer: ???? ?? let me redirect?(im guessing thats what she said?) you to the alienware section.

Me: -.- okay.

dingdingding Dell has a amazing offer on ....

AW customer service officer : yes welcum to dell.

Me: okkkkkayyy this is the alienware section?.

AW customer service officer: Yesh this IS.

Me: okayyyy <explains above problem>

Aw customer service officer: ok from eur location it will take up to 8 weeks to send the computer for ?????? and ?????? .....

Me: thinks* WHAT?!!?!?! 8 FREAKING WEEKS?*

AW Customer service officer: And you will have to pay for the shipping fees.

Me: thinks * *%(*# NO? obviously* i still have it under warranty you know?

AW customer service officer : hold on lemme check.

dingdingding dell has an amazin...

AW customer service officer: You still have to pay for the shipping fees its at least 100 dollars estimated.

Me: * WTF* okay ill think about it . ill ring you back in a while * NEVER *.

AW customer service officer: okay thank you for * Hangs up*

SEEE WHAT I MEAN?!?>!?!?!?!?!? so i think ill try tweaking it myself any advice for a newbie like me? :) thanks all who helps with this:)

4. ddp

leave it alone for now but keep an eye on it just in case it goes so you can get a new videocard quickly.

5. xiiaoboii

xiiaoboii Member

Hm should i get a new videocard? if yes then any advice on which?

6. ddp

if still working alright then leave it alone.