AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Single Avast Pro license used by 744,651 pirates

news article released on:

Avast, the company behind the anti-virus software Avast Pro, had a very interesting story to tell this week, in regards to piracy of the company's flagship AV suite. The company noticed that a license meant for a 14-PC business had made its way online, and was being shared via warez sites. Instead of killing the license, however, the company let it be, calling the situation an "experiment." ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 43 messages.

Now that's what I call trolling.
▼▼ This topic has 42 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
"Even the Vatican City, with under 900 residents, had two pirates using the license."

LoL!

Just waiting for the nagware to start.
sounds good. its sad to see poracy, esp one for antivirus'

MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.
"Even the Vatican City, with under 900 residents, had two pirates using the license."

The pope is a pirate!

Screw Avast; their software is crap anyway. If you don't want the better, yet cheaper alternatives, then just use AVG for free.

You mean the AVG that crashes windows 7? Avast is much better and is free as well. It's just that many idiots want to pirate the pro version, because being pro, it must be better.
unless the pro version has an added feature like a real time scanner i dont see much point in upgrading.tryed AVG not only was it hard to remove it seemed to slow my computer and didnt pick up the virus i had.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
Never cared much for Avast. I've used Comodo for years and it's been great. It's also free.
Microsoft Security Essentials FTW.
Originally posted by munx:
Microsoft Security Essentials FTW.

Mac FTW.
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Screw Avast; their software is crap anyway. If you don't want the better, yet cheaper alternatives, then just use AVG for free.
Avg? Sir, surely you troll.
i use it.
Originally posted by ddp:
i use it.
(Assuming we are talking about AVG) Me too on several systems. The one thing I would never pirate is antivirus...begging for trouble doing that!

Just my $0.02,

dEwMe
yes on avg. have it on most of my customers & friends.
Isn't Avast a pirate word anyway Avast ye landlubbers :P
arrrrrrrrrr.. damn navy.. get off my sea!!

I quit with avast and avg a while back.. both became resource hogs and didn't seem to work properly any more.. as with everything after a while these things just seem to turn into bloatware..

http://www.freerav.com/

I install that now.. and after 6 months none of the installations have come back with any nasties.. seems good.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Dec 2010 @ 18:51

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
Originally posted by KSib:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Avg? Sir, surely you troll.
He'd be a troll if he said he got a mac to avoid viruses.

www.inebriare.com
Xbox Live: Rogue Jello - PSN: bam431 - IGN: bam431
Youtube: electrowaffle - Twitter: bam431
i5 760, P7P55D-E, Vapor-X HD5770, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD,
ITT: Epic Trollage :P

I agree with the poster about Microsoft Security Essentials, believe it or not, and with that I find Superantispyware to be a good free pair.

"Its as if McGruff the Crime Dog snuck into our basement, enlisted an army of cellar rats to eat up all of our cheese, and then burned the house down when we finally locked him out instead of just knocking on the front door to tell us the window was open." ~Revision3 CEO Jim Louderback
All of those are trash. Microsoft security essentials might as well have no firewall at all...that is why I am forced to use Comodo Firewall. As for AV, MalWareBytes is what I use to fix systems that have M$ security essentials and massive viral infections. Heck, Microsoft and Eset both recommend MalWareBytes to fix certain viruses that have taken down their own antivirus software...that is the most powerful recommendation you could give.

i use microsoft security essentials,malware bytes and super antispyware.Had adaware but since there latest update it doesnt even work.occasionally run a pandascan if i suspect i have a virus and none of the virus scanners are picking it up.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
I've used Avast for years. Keep trying others, but keep coming back. Avast consistently does well with non-biased websites like AVTest and AVComparatives. And since some people were mentioning Comodo -- they don't even allow their product to be tested by these sites, because it fails miserably, with the creators claiming the sites don't test their product properly. *yeah, right*

I also like Microsoft Security Essentials, but I do agree that it's important to also run Malwarebytes Free version every several weeks to clean up missed malware samples. All of these antivirus products -- paid or free -- have good quarters and bad quarters for protection. Avast consistently does well, while Microsoft did awesome, but had a somewhat lackluster quarter recently.

We've owned Kaspersky in this house, and it was good, but had issues from time-to-time. The firewall was not compatible with my wife's banking software.

I tried a 60-day trial of Norton Internet Security last month, and deleted it. The reason was that Norton didn't catch viruses on my USB key unless I specifically told it to scan the key. It's autoscanner would miss the hidden .exe file the autorun virus pointed to. We have a plague of USB viruses at my university, and Norton was a big fail here. Sad, because I almost considered buying Norton.

Back to Avast for now. The only time Avast ever let me down was 2 or 3 years ago when the first fake antivirus malware hit the web (nothing caught it, initially). It runs very smoothly.

As for AVG -- it's said to be good, but they tend to remove the anti-rootkit funtion in the free version. That's scary. Also, as mentioned elsewhere, it's crashing Win7 64-bit often, causing some to have to reinstall entirely!
Originally posted by Baccusboy:
I've used Avast for years. Keep trying others, but keep coming back. Avast consistently does well with non-biased websites like AVTest and AVComparatives. And since some people were mentioning Comodo -- they don't even allow their product to be tested by these sites, because it fails miserably, with the creators claiming the sites don't test their product properly. *yeah, right*

I also like Microsoft Security Essentials, but I do agree that it's important to also run Malwarebytes Free version every several weeks to clean up missed malware samples. All of these antivirus products -- paid or free -- have good quarters and bad quarters for protection. Avast consistently does well, while Microsoft did awesome, but had a somewhat lackluster quarter recently.

We've owned Kaspersky in this house, and it was good, but had issues from time-to-time. The firewall was not compatible with my wife's banking software.

I tried a 60-day trial of Norton Internet Security last month, and deleted it. The reason was that Norton didn't catch viruses on my USB key unless I specifically told it to scan the key. It's autoscanner would miss the hidden .exe file the autorun virus pointed to. We have a plague of USB viruses at my university, and Norton was a big fail here. Sad, because I almost considered buying Norton.

Back to Avast for now. The only time Avast ever let me down was 2 or 3 years ago when the first fake antivirus malware hit the web (nothing caught it, initially). It runs very smoothly.

As for AVG -- it's said to be good, but they tend to remove the anti-rootkit funtion in the free version. That's scary. Also, as mentioned elsewhere, it's crashing Win7 64-bit often, causing some to have to reinstall entirely!
Excellent post, and yes Avast does score *decently* high, but this un-biased opinion says Avira is the best: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wholedynamic2010.pdf

I cannot back that up, as I currently use AVG 10.

I got a pain Eset NOD32 and never really had a issue with it yet. but funny story tho
Originally posted by DVDBack23:

Excellent post, and yes Avast does score *decently* high, but this un-biased opinion says Avira is the best: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wholedynamic2010.pdf

I cannot back that up, as I currently use AVG 10.
What that doesn't tell you is that the free version of Avira includes an annoying nag screen that constantly asks you to purchase it. For that reason, I avoid Avira. It's paid version is very expensive, IMHO, but yes, excellent protection.

There are other measures of performance, too -- like how many "false positives" they have, and how they affect your system. For example, I tested GDATA, which always has top ratings because it uses 2 scan engines. It slowed my system (Core I5) to a crawl, and actually digested some Windows files! Many antivirus programs actually can cause more harm than good. In all truth, while experimenting with many top brands, I've done more damage just using some different companies than I have had virus troubles. You can often see news stories, like where McAfee's update earlier this year ended up killing everyone's Windows. Many people had to rebuild because it flagged an important system file as a virus and deleted it!

I find Avast or Microsoft (MSE) to be the best balance in terms of performance and usability. MSE tends to perform best on Windows 7 (for me), while Avast does well just about everywhere.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Dec 2010 @ 17:50
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.