1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning 773 mb file onto 700cdr disc?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by iOsiris, Jun 5, 2004.

1. iOsiris

iOsiris Member

Is it possible to burn a 773 MB video file onto a 700 MB disc? I can't find a guide on this site. Thanks in advance.

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

yes ican get 776mb by using discjuggler on over burn
    if you have not got discjuggler im not to sure where to get it now

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

4. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

yes forgot to mention media,,,

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sometimes all of us forget small steps here and there.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whoa we all forgot to note the important one important piece of information: are you trying to burn a (S)VCD? If so then it is SUPPOSED to be that big. I have a more complete set of Q&A here: http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#OVERBURN
    You should be ok to burn on 700MB media :)

7. iOsiris

iOsiris Member

No, I'm not trying to burn a SVCD, just a regular .avi file. So it is not possible to overburn in on just a 700mb cd? Would the easist way to reduce file size to be just to cut parts from it then?

8. Praetor

You wont be able to overburn by that much. There are a couple ways to work around this and I've outlined them here: http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#CLIPAVI

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Avoid overburning, this is useful only when if the side of what you're burning is slightly larger than the standard size of the CD [bold]and[/bold] if your burner allows it.

If the file were an [bold]image[/bold] (e.g. .CUE/.BIN, .BWA, .CCD, .ISO, .MDS, .NRG, and so on) the right dimension for a CD to contain it would have been this:

Size Max = [bold]D[/bold]*2352/2048

Size Max is the max size of the image you want to burn into the CD and [bold]D[/bold] is the dimension of the CD, calculated as if 1 CD sector = 2048 bytes and which is, by default, the one shown in the cover (e.g. 74' or 650 MB, 80' or 700 MB).
    A standard 74 min CD contains 333,000 sectors and a standard 80 min CD contains 360,000 sectors. 1 sector contains much stuff depending on the type of CD you're writing. The burner itself 'puts' into the CD the Error Detection Codes (EDC) and the Error Corrections Codes (ECC). This stuff is HUGE for Data CDs (e.g. simple files burned on a CD), medium for videos [e.g. (S)VCDs] (2336 bytes/sector are free), zero for audio (e.g. standard audio CDs: all 2352 bytes/sector are free).

Therefore, on a 74 min CD you can fit very large RAW images, up to 333,000 x 2352 = 783,216,000 bytes (747 Mb). This should be the upper limit for a RAW image created from a 74 min CD. Remember that if you store standard data (backup files), you can burn only 333,000 x 2048 = 681,984,000 bytes (the well known 650 MB limit).

'Images' copy EVERYTHING is on the disk, so the maximum size (2352 x sectors number) is achieved when you 'extract' an image ('perfect' copy of a disc).

In your case, you have an .AVI. If you simply 'backup' the .AVI you need exactly a CD '773 MB large'. If you build, for instance, a VCD (e.g. with TMPGenc to convert .AVI->.MPG plus VCDEasy to build the a (S)VCD with the .MPG, which now should have a size depending on the type (VCD, SVCD) of the Video CD you're building and the length of the movie, people may use VCDgear but I dont' know it) you need:

D=773*2048/2336 = 87.6% 773 MB = 678 MB!!!

Got it? There is a clear 'sticky' thread here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976
    [bold]BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions. READ1ST[/bold]: exactly at point 7) (I wrote it about 2 years ago, sorry for doing this self-advertisement).

Sorry. Since you seem to just want to 'backup' your .AVI using data CDs, I can only suggest you to compress it with, e.g., [bold]WinRAR[/bold], splitting it into two smaller files (press '[bold]add[/bold]', get your file, choose, e.g. 'compression method: [bold]best[/bold]' and 'Split to volumes, bites: [bold]700,000[/bold]'). This is the best you can do (alas, you're requesting too much!!).
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  10. Praetor

I suppose I can let that slide this time! :p hehe